Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: "Model Train" altars--how close is yours?  (Read 9633 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: "Model Train" altars--how close is yours?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 10:38:53 am »
Quote from: Starglade;4865
So, is anyone else familiar with this scenario? Is there a "bare mininum" amount of items that's acceptable (either to you, or to your deities or practice)? Is less better than more? Or, is more More MORE required?

The Orthodox home altar is pretty minimalist. All that is required on the table itself is a vigil lamp (check), incense burner (check), holy water bottle (check), some provision for offering candles (check) and ideally enough room for the prayer book(s) to live on (nope).

The wall behind, however, is another story entirely. There's no such thing as too many icons, and if I was free to do as I want on the wall, my setup would end up looking like this - and expanding.

I'm saved by the fact that actual painted icons are beyond my budget, but paper-print ones are cheap, can be mounted collage-style on card, and rotated, rather than displayed at all times. If I ever get around to collaging, that is.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;205458
The Orthodox home altar is pretty minimalist. All that is required on the table itself is a vigil lamp (check), incense burner (check), holy water bottle (check), some provision for offering candles (check) and ideally enough room for the prayer book(s) to live on (nope).

The wall behind, however, is another story entirely. There's no such thing as too many icons, and if I was free to do as I want on the wall, my setup would end up looking like this - and expanding.

I'm saved by the fact that actual painted icons are beyond my budget, but paper-print ones are cheap, can be mounted collage-style on card, and rotated, rather than displayed at all times. If I ever get around to collaging, that is.
I just pinned a bunch of Orthodox home altars on Pinterest last week. I love that gallery wall sort of look and I'm leaning that way myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;205456

But really, once I've got a statue of a deity, it's really just a matter of incense, candles, and offering dishes. I really don't need much more than that. I have my knife on my Kemetic shrine, and some staffs nearby, but I mean, that's it? My witchcraft is very bare-minimum. It does give me a lot of useful working space, though, which is good, because I don't have a lot of room.

I have a bad habit (which includes art supplies, kitchen gear and now magic gear) of collecting "essential" items which I don't actually use. :ashamed: My shrine at the moment is at a medium state where everything on/in it has a purpose.

Although, come to that, I probably have more shrines than is strictly necessary; about 4 of them in a 1-room flat. My dad is an actual model railroader, so I come by this tendency honestly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;205468
I have a bad habit (which includes art supplies, kitchen gear and now magic gear) of collecting "essential" items which I don't actually use. :ashamed: My shrine at the moment is at a medium state where everything on/in it has a purpose.

Although, come to that, I probably have more shrines than is strictly necessary; about 4 of them in a 1-room flat. My dad is an actual model railroader, so I come by this tendency honestly.

My weakness is picking up all the little offering dishes at op shops/thrift shops, because you can never have too many, which is a terrible excuse, because I never use them all anyway.

I think I have *counts* eight shrines in my tiny 3mx3m bedroom, so. :D? They aren't all big shrines, and I utilise a lot of wall space, but even I am impressed they all fit in there somehow. I suspect that when I get a place of my own, that number will exponentially rise.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:04 am »
Quote from: Cinder;205437
I try hard not to, but I do tend to accrue clutter in my life. I like stuff :)

Hanging my post here, because this snippet could well be my personal motto. ;)

I go through cycles of accruing STUFF, and having it go on my shrine, which becomes increasingly cluttered. Then I will be struck by the sudden need to tidy it all up...but eventually the clutter creeps in again. Often it's the same things being taken on and off, over and over. I'm bad like that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:28 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;205458

The wall behind, however, is another story entirely. There's no such thing as too many icon

That pretty much describes my (Hindu) shrine. I have a small table that has an oil/ghee lamp, bell, incense holder, cup and spoon for water (three sips for ritual cleansing), a small plate and bowls for offerings, and a set of 4x6" cards I printed from Word that have the mantras and prayers I use (I still haven't memorized them... Sanskrit is not the easiest language in the world).

The wall above it is another story also... a set of three shelves for my deities' statues. I have a tendency to "collect" deities for my veneration. I've pretty much settled on my core group. I've tried to scale back, but I feel creepy... it's like uninviting guests to a wedding. And they are deities I feel a particular affinity for. I'm embarrassed to say there is one more I would like, but I cannot find a small enough statue. I guess I'll use a picture.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:44 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;205455
I love this!  Would you mind if I share this with some friends?

Marilyn was never one to object to people picking ideas up from each other, so I'm fairly sure she would have been fine with you sharing it.

That's the most solid reply you will get to this, though, unless Jubes or Ladybug shows up to chime in (not very likely; they've both been inactive here for quite a while - but they're family, not just a friend as I was). This is a very old thread that's been recently revived, so many of those who posted in it earlier might no longer be around TC; that's the case with Marilyn, who died a few years ago, and is one of those memorialized on our sidebar and at the beginning of April every year.

You're probably going to feel crappy about having done that, which you shouldn't; it's very easy to lose track of the age of threads and posts, especially when the thread has current activity.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 08:01:03 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;205503
Marilyn was never one to object to people picking ideas up from each other, so I'm fairly sure she would have been fine with you sharing it.

That's the most solid reply you will get to this, though, unless Jubes or Ladybug shows up to chime in (not very likely; they've both been inactive here for quite a while - but they're family, not just a friend as I was). This is a very old thread that's been recently revived, so many of those who posted in it earlier might no longer be around TC; that's the case with Marilyn, who died a few years ago, and is one of those memorialized on our sidebar and at the beginning of April every year.

You're probably going to feel crappy about having done that, which you shouldn't; it's very easy to lose track of the age of threads and posts, especially when the thread has current activity.

Sunflower

Oh, I didn't notice the dates or make the connection in names (though I have seen the memorial sidebar), thank you for replying.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 09:20:10 am »

That's the most solid reply you will get to this, though, unless Jubes or Ladybug shows up to chime in (not very likely; they've both been inactive here for quite a while - but they're family, not just a friend as I was).

Marilyn would have been honored for something she did to inspire someone else, especially this long after her death. Share, use her as a muse, learn! Learning was her favourite way to make a mark on the world.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 06:26:01 pm »
Marilyn would have been honored for something she did to inspire someone else, especially this long after her death. Share, use her as a muse, learn! Learning was her favourite way to make a mark on the world.

I clicked without noticing I already replied to this thread ... and while it's not actually what the thread is about, I'm in the process of building an ancestor shrine which is an actual model train set. And yes, it will have All The Things on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 07:58:43 pm »
I clicked without noticing I already replied to this thread ... and while it's not actually what the thread is about, I'm in the process of building an ancestor shrine which is an actual model train set. And yes, it will have All The Things on it.

All The Things! Throw some pictures in a new thread? I'd love to see various sacred spaces :)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 01:11:07 am »
So, is anyone else familiar with this scenario? Is there a "bare mininum" amount of items that's acceptable (either to you, or to your deities or practice)? Is less better than more? Or, is more More MORE required?

More is better than less, if you can do more without causing yourself stress or difficulty. My Gods will settle for less than ideal without getting upset with you, it's the thought that counts, not the material items. That said, I do always put my best effort into showing appreciation to my Gods. I like to keep ritual objects, even if I don't use them often, simply because they are ritually potent.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:06 am »
That pretty much describes my (Hindu) shrine... (snip) The wall above it is another story also...

I was going tom reply to Chatelaine and say that my Hindu alter is the same way, but you beat me too it. I think it's actually rather common for Hindu alters to be that way, at least the one's I've seen in other people's homes. There's quite a bit of similarity between Orthodox Christian sensibilities vis a vis rituals and icons, and Hindu ones toward our own shrines and sacred objects.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: