Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Martial Arts  (Read 9897 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Martial Arts
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »
Does anyone here practice any form of what i like to call "recreational violence?" :D:

This is probably just me, but it feels like when i am in the middle of sparring, training, or competition i feel closer to this earth. I feel like the spirits (and maybe even the gods) accept and promote what i am doing. I often feel like it's tribute. I LOVE IT.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:20:41 am by RandallS »

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:02 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;69608
Does anyone here practice any form of what i like to call "recreational violence?" :D:

This is probably just me, but it feels like when i am in the middle of sparring, training, or competition i feel closer to this earth. I feel like the spirits (and maybe even the gods) accept and promote what i am doing. I often feel like it's tribute. I LOVE IT.

It's not really martial arts, per se, but I fence.  Most of the time it's olympic-style fencing (three weapons), but I have done longsword fencing in the recent past as well.

I really enjoy it, too.  For one thing, I can use it as an outlet for stress; and the weapon I use, sabre, is the most aggressive, fast-paced of the three, so it's a real relief (also the one with the most interesting bruises, IMHO).  

Also, I do feel closer to...well, I don't know if I'd call them spirits, but I suppose to people who also are involved in this sport/were in the past.  When there's a particularly entertaining bout, I sometimes feel like the visible spectators aren't the only ones watching.  Sometimes, like you said, it can be a tribute.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:49 am »

I'm a lapsed martial arts practioneer. When I was studying I learned Tai Chi Chuan, Kung Fu, Qi Gong and some Baghua Zhang. Since work life started I'm without martial arts school (after I moved) so I practice a bit Qi Gong and Tai Chi alone, unregularly though. Can't afford another course at the moment, but I hope I'll make it someday again.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:36 pm »
Quote from: iulla;69619
It's not really martial arts, per se, but I fence.  Most of the time it's olympic-style fencing (three weapons), but I have done longsword fencing in the recent past as well.

I really enjoy it, too.  For one thing, I can use it as an outlet for stress; and the weapon I use, sabre, is the most aggressive, fast-paced of the three, so it's a real relief (also the one with the most interesting bruises, IMHO).  

Also, I do feel closer to...well, I don't know if I'd call them spirits, but I suppose to people who also are involved in this sport/were in the past.  When there's a particularly entertaining bout, I sometimes feel like the visible spectators aren't the only ones watching.  Sometimes, like you said, it can be a tribute.

If we look at the wider definition of 'Martial Art', we see that any stylized combat technique that has a defined sense of form and function qualifies

As an ex-fencer myself back in college, I would definitely classify the structured form of fencing as a Martial Art.

Fighters can be anywhere, a true 'artist' of combat is recognized as such

And yes, when I was fencing I did feel more at peace and more connected to "something", but that was back before I found Paganism so I didn't have a name for it then.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »
I know what you mean! I haven't done any martial arts for a while but I know enough to get into that mentality. I hope to continue them soon

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;69702

A Reminder:
Hi, bluewave193,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
Quote from: iulla;69619

Fencing with a saber? Like a cavalry saber? Those get heavy, fast! I'm not too huge on swordplay however, when I'm in the mood i prefer the cutlass, it's a bit shorter but i can do much more with it.
When I'm in the mood for weapons it's more often then not tomahawk, spear or Shillelagh.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:45 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;69652
I'm a lapsed martial arts practioneer. When I was studying I learned Tai Chi Chuan, Kung Fu, Qi Gong and some Baghua Zhang. Since work life started I'm without martial arts school (after I moved) so I practice a bit Qi Gong and Tai Chi alone, unregularly though. Can't afford another course at the moment, but I hope I'll make it someday again.

That's quite an assortment, and truthfully i'm only familiar with a few of those you mentioned. I practice Judo, classic Pugilism(with the grappling, like it should always be in my opinion ;) ), and Dan-Zan Ryu Jujitsu as hand to hand combat styles. Tried Tai Chi once years ago but could never get into it.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;69677
If we look at the wider definition of 'Martial Art', we see that any stylized combat technique that has a defined sense of form and function qualifies

As an ex-fencer myself back in college, I would definitely classify the structured form of fencing as a Martial Art.

And yes, when I was fencing I did feel more at peace and more connected to "something", but that was back before I found Paganism so I didn't have a name for it then.

Another fencer! Sweet :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:14:17 pm by Gore »

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:16:53 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;69702
I know what you mean! I haven't done any martial arts for a while but I know enough to get into that mentality. I hope to continue them soon

If i may ask, what is it you practiced Blue?

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:08 pm »

Yes, I practice and it's one of the best things I can do for myself.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:35:49 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;69677

That's very true.  I wasn't really thinking of the wider definition, but when you put it that way, I can most definitely see it.

Quote from: ToddGrove;69714
Fencing with a saber? Like a cavalry saber? Those get heavy, fast! I'm not too huge on swordplay however, when I'm in the mood i prefer the cutlass, it's a bit shorter but i can do much more with it.
When I'm in the mood for weapons it's more often then not tomahawk, spear or Shillelagh.

Haha, no, not exactly!  These are very light-weight, and they (can) break like matchsticks.  Here is a photo.  It is a cutting weapon, though, instead of poking (like the other two, though you can poke if you really, really want to and want to break your weapon).  Also the valid target area (place to hit in order to score a point) is everything above the waist (except the hands), and a lot of people think this is because it originated as the cavalry sword.  Not really true, but it's fun to think about nonetheless.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

darkwhispersdale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »

I practise Feng Shou Gong Fu, Lee and Sun Style TaijiQuan and Qi Gong. I have done some Yang Style Taiji and Taoist Yoga as well. Weapon wise I use staff, sword, sabre and fan.
“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.” ― Aristotle
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »
Quote from: Gore;69608

Wow just noticed we have a thread for this! Yea I did Karate and kickboxed growing up. Wrestled for my high school and we had to do MCMAP in the Marines. The last few years I've done Tai Jutsu and MMA as a hobby, but started competing to promote my gym. I actually haven't been able to post as much trying to juggle 2 jobs, training, and religious involvements....

My last fight before Halloween was pretty favourable,  where I was awarded KO of the night, if you're into that sort if thing. I know "recreational violence" isn't everyones' cup of tea...

Semper Fidelis

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;167195

My last fight before Halloween was pretty favourable,  where I was awarded KO of the night, if you're into that sort if thing. I know "recreational violence" isn't everyones' cup of tea...

I did Karate for several years and reached Black Belt, and also did a few months of Aikido while I was at teacher's college. I enjoyed many parts of the practice, but I eventually quit because the dojo was becoming more competition-oriented while I was more interested in the inward aspects. (And also because it gradually became apparent that the instructor was an abusive bully, but that's another story).

I'm thinking about taking up Tai Chi. Or possibly archery, I can't decide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: