Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Martial Arts  (Read 9896 times)

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 08:20:44 am »
Quote from: Gore;69608
Does anyone here practice any form of what i like to call "recreational violence?" :D:

Sure.:) I run the Cateran Society, an international organization that studies the use of the Highland broadsword. Actually, I teach every year at a seminar known as the "Recreational Violence Weekend"...

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;167256
Sure.:) I run the Cateran Society, an international organization that studies the use of the Highland broadsword. Actually, I teach every year at a seminar known as the "Recreational Violence Weekend"...

... Do you have any video links? This sounds unspeakably awesome.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:11 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;167195
Wow just noticed we have a thread for this! Yea I did Karate and kickboxed growing up. Wrestled for my high school and we had to do MCMAP in the Marines. The last few years I've done Tai Jutsu and MMA as a hobby, but started competing to promote my gym. I actually haven't been able to post as much trying to juggle 2 jobs, training, and religious involvements....

My last fight before Halloween was pretty favourable,  where I was awarded KO of the night, if you're into that sort if thing. I know "recreational violence" isn't everyones' cup of tea...

Nice KO!!! Very impressive!! I myself have been a practitioner of Kempo Karate for over 20 years now, and still going!!! I actually teach Kempo as my second job, as oppose to teaching school. I teach two night a week, at a dojo located where I live. I actually started very young at 4 with Taekwondo, but found Kempo a few years later, and fell in love with offensive Karate. I competed while in middle and high school, as well as being an all-state wrestler. I have also recently taken up Aikido, and going into my second year in that discipline. I love everything about martial arts!!!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;167304
... Do you have any video links? This sounds unspeakably awesome.

None of the Rec Violence Weekend, but plenty of what we do:

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 02:58:42 am »
Does anyone here practice any form of what i like to call "recreational violence?" :D:

This is probably just me, but it feels like when i am in the middle of sparring, training, or competition i feel closer to this earth. I feel like the spirits (and maybe even the gods) accept and promote what i am doing. I often feel like it's tribute. I LOVE IT.

I haven't taken martial arts before but I would love to learn Tai Chi, Krav Maga, and maybe Jeet Kune Do.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;167209
I did Karate for several years and reached Black Belt, and also did a few months of Aikido while I was at teacher's college. I enjoyed many parts of the practice, but I eventually quit because the dojo was becoming more competition-oriented while I was more interested in the inward aspects. (And also because it gradually became apparent that the instructor was an abusive bully, but that's another story).

I'm thinking about taking up Tai Chi. Or possibly archery, I can't decide.

Ashame the instructor had to become like that, but we all do it for our own reasons.  I understand,  even though I orinally left Karate because the dojo merged with a new Japanese lineage that ended kickboxing classes solely for "point Karate," which I didn't like because of the lack of contact, I also don't like the lack of traditional elements rampant in the MMA world today. It's difficult to find the right balance.

Quote from: Cryfder;167311
Nice KO!!! Very impressive!! I myself have been a practitioner of Kempo Karate for over 20 years now, and still going!!! I actually teach Kempo as my second job, as oppose to teaching school. I teach two night a week, at a dojo located where I live. I actually started very young at 4 with Taekwondo, but found Kempo a few years later, and fell in love with offensive Karate. I competed while in middle and high school, as well as being an all-state wrestler. I have also recently taken up Aikido, and going into my second year in that discipline. I love everything about martial arts!!!

Thanks! :D:  ...it's cool that you've stuck with it, and are able to give back by teaching. Good stuff! I was similar, and started young with TKD at 6, but converted to Shito-ryu Karate, where I was able to keep my Black belt by only learning the advanced katas. Good to hear about the wrestling too! It never leaves you! In MMA I've found it to be an advantage sinces it's not done in schools over here. Seems most of the ground work here came from Judo, and Wrestling&Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu have now found their way. The closest to wrestling I've found was BJJ, where I also train at a Gracie Barra gym twice a week to help with MMA, but I also rely on the Karate background a lot.
Semper Fidelis

ozdust

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:39 am »

Haha Adam calls it that all the time :) He is a 2nd Dan and teaches Taekwon Do and loves to tell people "parents pay me to beat their kids for them" :p
Adam and I take Sikaran-Arnis together which is a Mixed Filipino art of hand and foot plus weapon work.
Stacey + Adam
*Potterhead*Baby Name Lover*Business Owner*Singer
[/FONT]

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »

I have limited experience with tai chi and capoeira. I enjoyed both, but scheduling conflicts keep me out of practice for long stretches.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:23:55 pm by Chatelaine »
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:12 pm »
This is probably just me, but it feels like when i am in the middle of sparring, training, or competition i feel closer to this earth.

I did Tai Chi for 18 months a while back, but had to give it up as my work base moved further away from where the class was held and a health condition prevented me from continuing to attend.  I really miss it, still.  I found it a great form of meditation/mindfulness, in a sense, as I'd be concentrating on the movements and my mind wasn't able to be obsessing, for once, on all that it's usually obsessing on.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: