Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Wards and Protection Rituals?  (Read 5208 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Wards and Protection Rituals?
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:17:22 pm »
I can't seem to find any wards or protection rituals. Looking more in a continental Germanic direction but really anything.

For clarification, looking for the type of wards like horseshoe nailed over the door, offerings, whatever is appropriate in a heathen context.

I'm probably not looking in the right places, so even if all you have is a link, please share. Thanks so much!
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wards and Protection Rituals?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;69547
I can't seem to find any wards or protection rituals. Looking more in a continental Germanic direction but really anything.

For clarification, looking for the type of wards like horseshoe nailed over the door, offerings, whatever is appropriate in a heathen context.

I'm probably not looking in the right places, so even if all you have is a link, please share. Thanks so much!

To clarify, are you looking for rituals or objects involved with protection? Because what you're asking and what your example is are two different things, at least to me. Nailing up a bundle of protective herbs above my main doorway, for example, is not really much of a ritual; it's an action. A ritual, for me, would involve at one point nailing the herbs above the door. But YMMV.

Anyways, my first thought was that you might look into folk magic, like hoodoo, which involves numerous ways of protecting or warding ones space. The Lucky Mojo website is a good place to look, specifically yronwode's online hoodoo book.

Also if I recall correctly Trace-Portation by Diane Paxson includes a warding spell or "ritual" to be used before trancing or journeying, and Paxson uses runes in her example as that's her "home system" (Northern European paganism).
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;69550
To clarify, are you looking for rituals or objects involved with protection? Because what you're asking and what your example is are two different things, at least to me. Nailing up a bundle of protective herbs above my main doorway, for example, is not really much of a ritual; it's an action. A ritual, for me, would involve at one point nailing the herbs above the door. But YMMV.

Both. I'm still learning how to properly word questions, so my apologies. So both items/actions and the rituals incorporated with them.

Anyways, my first thought was that you might look into folk magic, like hoodoo, which involves numerous ways of protecting or warding ones space. The Lucky Mojo website is a good place to look, specifically yronwode's online hoodoo book.

Also if I recall correctly Trace-Portation by Diane Paxson includes a warding spell or "ritual" to be used before trancing or journeying, and Paxson uses runes in her example as that's her "home system" (Northern European paganism).

Thanks for these, I will take a look! I knew about the runes but hadn't found a source explaining it yet.
[/B]

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:58 am »

There is land claiming and offering to the land wights. I was going to that here but we may be moving soon so I am waiting. Best link I could find is here but there are probably a good book somewhere on it . http://www.englatheod.org/sacredspace.htm

There is using mugwort to clean the house and making offerings to the house wight. Wights will help protect the house and land. Milk and honey for outside and whiskey or alcohol inside. Mugwort is the Germanic White Sage.

Planting Elder protects a house and is the plant of Frau Holda. She is specific to Germany and is the land mother. It prevents lightning strikes too in lore.

Iron keeps out certain beings so a horse shoe or iron nail on a string over doors and window and even gates outside will work.

As far as ritual I would create a land/house claiming day and do the whole thing at once asking the gods and wights for protection. Do your stuff and then do a meal and offering.

Like I said I am going to do this myself but I am waiting to see if I am moving.

I wish I could find something more specific to Norse practice but you get witchcraft  mixed in to most stuff and to me it's ok if you are a witch or feel comfortable with it.

I am looking into barn and hex signs too they protect a house. Urglaawe is PA Dutch paganism and you can find stuff on their sites too.

I would love to know what you do in the end if you would share it with us.

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:35:09 am »

Eyrbyggja saga contain a land claiming/hollowing land which might be of use to you - walking/lighting fire around the area in question.

We have instances were they at Things used vébond - blessed/sacred bands - to keep the frith of the Thing itself. (This seems like a fairly formal way of doing it and is only, AFAIK, recorded as being used in Thing).

You could use some of the protection used on runestones/with runes, such as engraved Thor hammers, "Thorr vígi" or protective words such as "Alu" - see Pollingtons "Rudiments of Runelore".

Otherwise just try to sacrifice to the gods and ask for protection/frith over an area - this could be followed up with a formal declaring of frith.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:35:44 am by hlewagastir »

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:11 am »
Quote from: hlewagastir;70323
Eyrbyggja saga contain a land claiming/hollowing land which might be of use to you - walking/lighting fire around the area in question.

We have instances were they at Things used vébond - blessed/sacred bands - to keep the frith of the Thing itself. (This seems like a fairly formal way of doing it and is only, AFAIK, recorded as being used in Thing).

You could use some of the protection used on runestones/with runes, such as engraved Thor hammers, "Thorr vígi" or protective words such as "Alu" - see Pollingtons "Rudiments of Runelore".

Otherwise just try to sacrifice to the gods and ask for protection/frith over an area - this could be followed up with a formal declaring of frith.

Thanks, really helpful!
[/B]

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:50 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;69551

Thanks for these, I will take a look! I knew about the runes but hadn't found a source explaining it yet.

Just an aside, if you're looking for resources about Rune-work. Edred Thorsson is an author I would recommend. :) You can pick up a lot of his books on amazon pretty inexpensively.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

I just finished Sophie Reicher's book Spiritual Protection: A Safety Manual for Energy Workers, Healers, and Psychics. It's full of nothing but shielding/ warding exercises and incense recipes.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;69550

I ward the corners of my property with stakes carved with protective runes.  I drive new stakes into the ground every Autumn, and periodically through the year (during each of my homemade holidays) I libate each stake with whatever homemade beverage I have around (usually homebrewed beer or homemade berry wine).  If I'm feeling threatened/unsafe for some reason, I also add small food plates left in place overnight.

Brina

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:13:17 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;76728
I ward the corners of my property with stakes carved with protective runes.  I drive new stakes into the ground every Autumn, and periodically through the year (during each of my homemade holidays) I libate each stake with whatever homemade beverage I have around (usually homebrewed beer or homemade berry wine).  If I'm feeling threatened/unsafe for some reason, I also add small food plates left in place overnight.

Brina

Which runes do you use, and why?

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:14 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;76752
Which runes do you use, and why?

The Elder Futhark mostly.  Algiz and Eihwaz specifically.  The former because of its inherently protective nature and the later because it's personally totemic for me and also has strongly protective aspects.

Brina

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 08:11:12 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;76756
The Elder Futhark mostly.  Algiz and Eihwaz specifically.  The former because of its inherently protective nature and the later because it's personally totemic for me and also has strongly protective aspects.

Brina

Could you elaborate a bit on this? I have a basic list of the runes but not much on which is more appropriate for specific situations.
[/B]

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:37 pm »

Honestly, if you are looking for a ritual space type of thing a simple hallowing of the area is all that is required. And to do THAT, all you really need is a hammer (symbolic of Mjolnir) and to openly speak that you are declaring the space to be for holy works, and to reject baneful wights.

Otherwise, a horseshoe over the door, or other symbols that YOU consider lucky would be appropriate.

People talk about using runes for such, but remember that the symbol is not what is important. You must also speak the words, if you will. The words carry the power, not the shape of the writing. Rune magic is only as potent as the poetry it holds. And frankly, modern lettering works just as well for word-magic as our ancestors alphabet.

I would also advise taking anything Spooky Eddie (aka Edred Thorsson aka Stephen Flowers) writes with an enormous grain of salt. Most of his 'Rune-might' stuff he wrote AFTER he had quit being heathen and had joined the Temple of Set, and he openly states that his later writings have very little to do with reconstructionist heathenry.

If that is what you are looking for, that's fine. But don't confuse it with what we do. Take it in the context of ceremonial magic for which it is intended :)

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;76728

Brina

I would also second what Brina is doing here, leaving gifts and offerings out for the wights on her property to enlist their assistance in the warding and protection of the place. Never a bad idea to get on your local wights' good side, believe me! I have seen homes wrecked (physically as well as emotionally) because the housewights were furious with the people in the house.

I would also advise perhaps the creation of a small mother-altar to your Disir. Your mothers and your wights are the two groups that have the most influence over your day to day life, and they are the ones to whom you should turn when you need a little extra luck or feel the need for protection beyond what you, yourself can provide.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:42 am »
Quote from: bobthesane;76761
Honestly, if you are looking for a ritual space type of thing a simple hallowing of the area is all that is required. And to do THAT, all you really need is a hammer (symbolic of Mjolnir) and to openly speak that you are declaring the space to be for holy works, and to reject baneful wights.

Otherwise, a horseshoe over the door, or other symbols that YOU consider lucky would be appropriate.

People talk about using runes for such, but remember that the symbol is not what is important. You must also speak the words, if you will. The words carry the power, not the shape of the writing. Rune magic is only as potent as the poetry it holds. And frankly, modern lettering works just as well for word-magic as our ancestors alphabet.

I would also advise taking anything Spooky Eddie (aka Edred Thorsson aka Stephen Flowers) writes with an enormous grain of salt. Most of his 'Rune-might' stuff he wrote AFTER he had quit being heathen and had joined the Temple of Set, and he openly states that his later writings have very little to do with reconstructionist heathenry.

If that is what you are looking for, that's fine. But don't confuse it with what we do. Take it in the context of ceremonial magic for which it is intended :)

Quote from: bobthesane;76763
I would also second what Brina is doing here, leaving gifts and offerings out for the wights on her property to enlist their assistance in the warding and protection of the place. Never a bad idea to get on your local wights' good side, believe me! I have seen homes wrecked (physically as well as emotionally) because the housewights were furious with the people in the house.

I would also advise perhaps the creation of a small mother-altar to your Disir. Your mothers and your wights are the two groups that have the most influence over your day to day life, and they are the ones to whom you should turn when you need a little extra luck or feel the need for protection beyond what you, yourself can provide.

Thank you so much for this information! I only really looked at the runes because I recently joined a local Pagan group and when they heard I was heathen, they gave me a bag of runestones. Haven't touch them yet.

I do like Brina's approach, it makes sense to me. And I'm starting to get familiar with housewights. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I moved out at home. Everyone used to say that the house I grew up in felt "lived in and alive." I don't know what the wights here like.

I asked this question originally because everything was going haywire in my surroundings. And protection is always nice. Now I'm off to go see if the wights here want some cinnamon (its all this poor college student has on hand, I drank my last beer trying to finish a project).
[/B]

Tags: