Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Heathen witch
    Pronouns
    she/her

Wards and Protection Rituals?

I can't seem to find any wards or protection rituals. Looking more in a continental Germanic direction but really anything.

For clarification, looking for the type of wards like horseshoe nailed over the door, offerings, whatever is appropriate in a heathen context.

I'm probably not looking in the right places, so even if all you have is a link, please share. Thanks so much!
    Jinx or Jinxy
    Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer's blood and mix well.

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Wards and Protection Rituals?

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithHorses View Post
    I can't seem to find any wards or protection rituals. Looking more in a continental Germanic direction but really anything.

For clarification, looking for the type of wards like horseshoe nailed over the door, offerings, whatever is appropriate in a heathen context.

I'm probably not looking in the right places, so even if all you have is a link, please share. Thanks so much!
    To clarify, are you looking for rituals or objects involved with protection? Because what you're asking and what your example is are two different things, at least to me. Nailing up a bundle of protective herbs above my main doorway, for example, is not really much of a ritual; it's an action. A ritual, for me, would involve at one point nailing the herbs above the door. But YMMV.

Anyways, my first thought was that you might look into folk magic, like hoodoo, which involves numerous ways of protecting or warding ones space. The Lucky Mojo website is a good place to look, specifically yronwode's online hoodoo book.

Also if I recall correctly Trace-Portation by Diane Paxson includes a warding spell or "ritual" to be used before trancing or journeying, and Paxson uses runes in her example as that's her "home system" (Northern European paganism).
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    DancesWithHorses is on a distinguished road DancesWithHorses's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Heathen witch
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    To clarify, are you looking for rituals or objects involved with protection? Because what you're asking and what your example is are two different things, at least to me. Nailing up a bundle of protective herbs above my main doorway, for example, is not really much of a ritual; it's an action. A ritual, for me, would involve at one point nailing the herbs above the door. But YMMV.
    Both. I'm still learning how to properly word questions, so my apologies. So both items/actions and the rituals incorporated with them.

Anyways, my first thought was that you might look into folk magic, like hoodoo, which involves numerous ways of protecting or warding ones space. The Lucky Mojo website is a good place to look, specifically yronwode's online hoodoo book.

Also if I recall correctly Trace-Portation by Diane Paxson includes a warding spell or "ritual" to be used before trancing or journeying, and Paxson uses runes in her example as that's her "home system" (Northern European paganism).
    Thanks for these, I will take a look! I knew about the runes but hadn't found a source explaining it yet.
    Jinx or Jinxy

Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Holdasown is on a distinguished road Holdasown's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Oct 2014 @ 01:59 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Northern Tradtion Pagan

There is land claiming and offering to the land wights. I was going to that here but we may be moving soon so I am waiting. Best link I could find is here but there are probably a good book somewhere on it . http://www.englatheod.org/sacredspace.htm

There is using mugwort to clean the house and making offerings to the house wight. Wights will help protect the house and land. Milk and honey for outside and whiskey or alcohol inside. Mugwort is the Germanic White Sage.

Planting Elder protects a house and is the plant of Frau Holda. She is specific to Germany and is the land mother. It prevents lightning strikes too in lore.

Iron keeps out certain beings so a horse shoe or iron nail on a string over doors and window and even gates outside will work.

As far as ritual I would create a land/house claiming day and do the whole thing at once asking the gods and wights for protection. Do your stuff and then do a meal and offering.

Like I said I am going to do this myself but I am waiting to see if I am moving.

I wish I could find something more specific to Norse practice but you get witchcraft mixed in to most stuff and to me it's ok if you are a witch or feel comfortable with it.

I am looking into barn and hex signs too they protect a house. Urglaawe is PA Dutch paganism and you can find stuff on their sites too.

I would love to know what you do in the end if you would share it with us.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    hlewagastir has a spectacular aura about hlewagastir has a spectacular aura about hlewagastir's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Oct 2014 @ 01:00 PM
    Country
    Denmark
    Religion
    Heathen

Eyrbyggja saga contain a land claiming/hollowing land which might be of use to you - walking/lighting fire around the area in question.

We have instances were they at Things used vébond - blessed/sacred bands - to keep the frith of the Thing itself. (This seems like a fairly formal way of doing it and is only, AFAIK, recorded as being used in Thing).

You could use some of the protection used on runestones/with runes, such as engraved Thor hammers, "Thorr vígi" or protective words such as "Alu" - see Pollingtons "Rudiments of Runelore".

Otherwise just try to sacrifice to the gods and ask for protection/frith over an area - this could be followed up with a formal declaring of frith.
    Last edited by hlewagastir; 23 Aug 2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: fix

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    DancesWithHorses is on a distinguished road DancesWithHorses's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Heathen witch
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by hlewagastir View Post
    Eyrbyggja saga contain a land claiming/hollowing land which might be of use to you - walking/lighting fire around the area in question.

We have instances were they at Things used vébond - blessed/sacred bands - to keep the frith of the Thing itself. (This seems like a fairly formal way of doing it and is only, AFAIK, recorded as being used in Thing).

You could use some of the protection used on runestones/with runes, such as engraved Thor hammers, "Thorr vígi" or protective words such as "Alu" - see Pollingtons "Rudiments of Runelore".

Otherwise just try to sacrifice to the gods and ask for protection/frith over an area - this could be followed up with a formal declaring of frith.
    Thanks, really helpful!
    Jinx or Jinxy

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    Laveth is on a distinguished road Laveth's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Jan 2014 @ 04:33 PM
    Country
    Slovenia
    Religion
    Staroverci

Thanks for these, I will take a look! I knew about the runes but hadn't found a source explaining it yet.

Just an aside, if you're looking for resources about Rune-work. Edred Thorsson is an author I would recommend. You can pick up a lot of his books on amazon pretty inexpensively.

Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Holdasown is on a distinguished road Holdasown's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Oct 2014 @ 01:59 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Northern Tradtion Pagan

I just finished Sophie Reicher's book Spiritual Protection: A Safety Manual for Energy Workers, Healers, and Psychics. It's full of nothing but shielding/ warding exercises and incense recipes.

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Aug 2014 @ 08:05 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Earth-honoring pantheism

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    I ward the corners of my property with stakes carved with protective runes. I drive new stakes into the ground every Autumn, and periodically through the year (during each of my homemade holidays) I libate each stake with whatever homemade beverage I have around (usually homebrewed beer or homemade berry wine). If I'm feeling threatened/unsafe for some reason, I also add small food plates left in place overnight.

Brina

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    hlewagastir has a spectacular aura about hlewagastir has a spectacular aura about hlewagastir's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Oct 2014 @ 01:00 PM
    Country
    Denmark
    Religion
    Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by yewberry View Post
    I ward the corners of my property with stakes carved with protective runes. I drive new stakes into the ground every Autumn, and periodically through the year (during each of my homemade holidays) I libate each stake with whatever homemade beverage I have around (usually homebrewed beer or homemade berry wine). If I'm feeling threatened/unsafe for some reason, I also add small food plates left in place overnight.

Brina
    Which runes do you use, and why?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast