Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: When deities DON'T like your offerings?  (Read 9818 times)

GSakura

• View Profile
When deities DON'T like your offerings?
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:41:43 am »
Have you noticed anything when the deities your offering, don't particularly love what your offering? I just noticed this tonight, I was trying to offer some lavender incense that I had just bought to Aphrodite, and after 5 consistent tries it absolutely would not stay lit. I use incense all the time, and this has never been a problem. Perhaps Aphrodite doesn't like lavender incense? Anybody have a similar problem, or a story to share?

GSakura

• View Profile
Re: When deities DON'T like your offerings?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:42:58 am »
Quote from: GSakura;4750
Perhaps Aphrodite doesn't like lavender incense?

Oh! And the moment I decided to try vanilla incense, it started burning just like normal.

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:17 am »
Quote from: GSakura;4751
Oh! And the moment I decided to try vanilla incense, it started burning just like normal.

It could have to do with the assigned properties of the inscence.  Lavender is usually associated with relaxing, and more sedate states of mind.  Vanilla however is associated, among other things, with being more of an aphrodisiac type of scent....and this was Aphrodite...vanilla would have been more appropriate.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

GSakura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:13:34 am »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;4752
It could have to do with the assigned properties of the inscence.  Lavender is usually associated with relaxing, and more sedate states of mind.  Vanilla however is associated, among other things, with being more of an aphrodisiac type of scent....and this was Aphrodite...vanilla would have been more appropriate.

That's a good point. I wanted to try the lavender incense because it was shaped into a scallop shell, which is associated with Aphrodite, but it didn't go over great even though. :rolleyes:

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:04 am »
Have you noticed anything when the deities your offering, don't particularly love what your offering?

Oh yes, I've had that happen. For instance, I've found that my deities (the non-Wiccan ones, anyway) don't particularly like incense. I don't think they hate it, but it's not what they want.

The one rejected offering that I might characterize as a blunder was when I offered Lugh some beef that was a tad...overcooked. This was followed by a brief power shortage, and everyone in the house was plagued with headaches and insomnia that night. Now I always make sure his steak is rare!

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:18 am »
Have you noticed anything when the deities your offering, don't particularly love what your offering? I just noticed this tonight, I was trying to offer some lavender incense that I had just bought to Aphrodite, and after 5 consistent tries it absolutely would not stay lit. I use incense all the time, and this has never been a problem. Perhaps Aphrodite doesn't like lavender incense? Anybody have a similar problem, or a story to share?

I did it on purpose once. My friend just had to ask me if Loki was the "smiting type" of god. And since I didn't know the answer, I decided to find out. So I made an offering of PBR. That did not go well. Other than that, I've never really had much of a problem. He seems okay with relatively cheap beer. I'm not even sure if the problem was that I was using PBR - it might have been the intention behind it. Then again, PBR is pretty gross.

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:41 am »

Athena received an offering of homemade thyme oil with a suprising amount of coolness. As if she was saying: "Fine. If that's all you've got, but get better next time." Then I remembered I'd made it from sunflower oil rather than olive oil. She very definitely wants her olive!
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »

Er, well. Not to be a bubble-burster or anything like that, but it could have just been that the incense was defective. I've had that happen a lot. Or it'll stop burning halfway through.

I mean, it could be that the deity doesn't like it. Or it could mean that somewhere in its shipping, it got moist/wet or the ingredients didn't mix well enough to stay alight.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
Quote from: Waterfall;4772
I did it on purpose once. My friend just had to ask me if Loki was the "smiting type" of god. And since I didn't know the answer, I decided to find out. So I made an offering of PBR. That did not go well. Other than that, I've never really had much of a problem. He seems okay with relatively cheap beer. I'm not even sure if the problem was that I was using PBR - it might have been the intention behind it. Then again, PBR is pretty gross.

At least we know Loki isn't a hipster.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »

I say SCREW any spirit who you give something to and they don't take it or like it.

If you're working with a god form or any entity that has any ability to roam around, and they want something they could get it anyway, but if you offer them something or wanting them to use an ingredient in a spell and they felt a different one is better - they could change it or go find something else.

It's not the gift when it comes to spiritual matters - at least unless it's offensive.  And screw any body that'd give you an offensive gift anyway.  A spirit would know if it was offensive to you or not.

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
When deities DON'T like your offerings?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »
Quote from: Nathaniel;4873
I say SCREW any spirit who you give something to and they don't take it or like it.

Why?  I mean...  The offering is about them, not about the person giving it.  Why shouldn't you (general you, not you personally) make some kind of effort to give them something they like?  Personally, I'm not a fan of people arbitrarily deciding to give me presents that are suited to their tastes rather than my own and then expecting me to be grateful for having gotten anything at all--and I can't in good conscience offer the Gods less consideration than I myself would like shown to me.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 07:02:05 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;4871
At least we know Loki isn't a hipster.

Loki: "Being a hipster is too mainstream."

(I am a terrible, terrible person.)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:03 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;4925
Loki: "Being a hipster is too mainstream."

:cool:

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 08:01:05 pm »
Quote from: Nathaniel;4873

Because of course a gift is for the satisfaction, enjoyment, and pleasure of the giver.  How dare the receiver actually want to receive what they want, rather than what someone else feels like tossing them.

'This is what I'm giving you - take it, use it, like it, or screw you.'

Yep - it's the thought that counts all right.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;4957

I guess I had the thread open too long before I answered.  Of course Star said it better and sooner :).

A propos of that - does this software not give you the 'there have been X number of replies posted since you started typing' or whatever it was warning that smf did?

Absent
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:06:21 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags: