Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?  (Read 10992 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:51 am »
Hey y'all,

So there's an equinox coming up next month (we're running out of summer!) and as an ADFer, I follow the Wheel of the Year. I was wondering what my fellow Neo-Druids might be up to for the equinox, if anything. Any myths you particularly associate with this time of the year? Planning a big ritual or a little bit of magic? Are you going to take this as an opportunity to stuff your face with apple pie?

Since ADF is a pan-Indo-European group, I get to put on my Greek Druid hat and honor the myth of Persephone's descent. I have a tradition of honoring Her at the autumn equinox and observing the changes in daylight and temperature as we move further down the spiral into winter.

Back in the land of the Celts, I want to continue to work with the Gaelic pantheon as I have been for the past two High Days. I think I might do this in a non-ADF context though. I have a big urge to do something, I'm just not sure what. All I know is the Morrígan's involved. (Story of my life at the moment.)

Enough about me! What about you?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
Re: Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69161
Hey y'all,

So there's an equinox coming up next month (we're running out of summer!) and as an ADFer, I follow the Wheel of the Year. I was wondering what my fellow Neo-Druids might be up to for the equinox, if anything. Any myths you particularly associate with this time of the year? Planning a big ritual or a little bit of magic? Are you going to take this as an opportunity to stuff your face with apple pie?

Yes to the last one. :)

My husband and I used to celebrate the holidays with his kids, but now that we've moved, our rituals are much smaller and simpler (and less planned, more impromptu). For Lughnasad, we did a little bit of prosperity magic in ritual -- really, we basically "threw a party" for our gods, guides and various spirit allies, inviting them all the share with us a meal of delicious corn, wild berries of all kinds, and the most amazing wine I've ever had, made locally from organic grapes. It was AWESOME. So I think we'll probably end up doing something similar for the equinox. (Any excuse for a party!)

There's also a local OBOD group that hosts public rituals on the solar holidays, so we may attend that and enjoy some Druish company and the storytelling and songs over potluck picnic to follow. I feel like the first two harvest festivals are all about hanging out with friends and family and sharing good times to celebrate the end of the summer.

--Ali

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69214
For Lughnasad, we did a little bit of prosperity magic in ritual -- really, we basically "threw a party" for our gods, guides and various spirit allies, inviting them all the share with us a meal of delicious corn, wild berries of all kinds, and the most amazing wine I've ever had, made locally from organic grapes. It was AWESOME. So I think we'll probably end up doing something similar for the equinox. (Any excuse for a party!)

Some of my favorite rituals have been spontaneous and like a giant family get-together. :) I forgot Ali, Who do you work with most often for these rituals? I swear I've read about your practice before but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

I feel like the first two harvest festivals are all about hanging out with friends and family and sharing good times to celebrate the end of the summer.

Pretty much, yeah. I absolute love this arc between Lughnasadh and Samhain. There's something magical about this time of year and these festivals, and I always look forward to them the most.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69234
Some of my favorite rituals have been spontaneous and like a giant family get-together. :) I forgot Ali, Who do you work with most often for these rituals?

That is a very good question! It's in a bit of flux at the moment, actually, so I'm playing things somewhat close to the chest.

But in general, we invite whatever gods or goddesses are big in our lives at the moment (usually for me this is Brigid and Manannan, and for Jeff, Apollo and Odin) as well as any animal guides, ancestral or local land spirits or other beings (for instance, Jeff invited a new presence who has appeared in his meditations, whom he calls the "Red Emperor"). Which is another reason why it feels a bit like a party, especially to me as a typical wallflower: I don't always know everybody who shows up, though they're always at least friends-of-friends, and it's a great way to mingle.

This is admittedly way more eclectic than some folks are probably comfortable with (I can think of a few people who'd be up in arms about inviting the "wrong" deity to a festival without specific mythic connections to them), and it's something we only really do when it's just the two of us. For our larger family rituals, we focus on honoring the earth, the local land (and its inhabitants) and the seasons themselves. For personal rituals, I narrow my focus and usually only work with a particular deity or guide/spirit at a time.

By the way, I saw in your recent blog post that you're still using the Lady of Star Fire chant from the LotS SIG ritual! Awesome, me too! I use it in the opening ritual for my flamekeeping shifts. :) Nice to see it living on in others' practices as well.

--Ali

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:14:48 pm »
Since ADF is a pan-Indo-European group, I get to put on my Greek Druid hat and honor the myth of Persephone's descent. I have a tradition of honoring Her at the autumn equinox and observing the changes in daylight and temperature as we move further down the spiral into winter.

Probably the same for me. I'm giving Panathenaia a miss this year; in the middle of moving and it's eating my brain. Also I'm sort of drawn to do more for/with Persephone and Her mom and husband lately, for reasons.

So. "I'll have what Sage is having."

All I know is the Morrígan's involved. (Story of my life at the moment.)

*hands Sage a welcome basket* Welcome to the sitherhood of the Morrigan. Inside the basket you'll find your complimentary leather jacket with bitchin red stichin, a vial of the blood of your enemies, a spike for heads (great lawn decoration), safe sex supplies, and ten bottles of whiskey. Enjoy!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »
Hey y'all,

I haven't quite figured out what the Autumn equinox means for me yet. This time of year is still a bit vague for me. My OBOD grove will do a ritual, though, and those are always fun. I think I'll just wait and see how this stage of the year feels and whether it resonates with anything about the myths or the gods. If nothing else, there might be tomatoes in my garden by then.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:39:06 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;69261
I haven't quite figured out what the Autumn equinox means for me yet. This time of year is still a bit vague for me. My OBOD grove will do a ritual, though, and those are always fun. I think I'll just wait and see how this stage of the year feels and whether it resonates with anything about the myths or the gods. If nothing else, there might be tomatoes in my garden by then.

I'm sort of the same way. Lughnasadh feels more like the "Big Summer Harvest Party Yay Invite Everyone" holiday for me, and having another harvest festival after that seems... redundant somehow.

I'll likely celebrate like I usually do: with food! I'll make some corn chowder with stuff from the farmer's market, pour out some apple cider, and crack open a beer to toast to Bilbo and Frodo (whose birthday falls on September 22nd, and, being a total Geek*, I usually raise a glass to them along with whatever else I do on the equinox :p).

*I could be an even bigger Geek and point out that the September 22nd date is the date according to the Shire Reckoning, which is a few days off from our own system, so technically Bilbo and Frodo's birthday falls on September 18th ... but I won't. :ange:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:43 pm »

I love the Fall Equinox.  It's one of my favs, I think because I see it as the start of my favorite season. :)  

We'll be going to our local ADF grove for their ritual, which is one of the fun ones, if I remember correctly.  At home, I'll have the place decked out in fall decorations and pumpkins, gourds, apples and corn. :)  Not sure yet what kind of a meal we will have.  And a small ritual.  I'm not into huge rituals, the ones at the grove are way big enough for me. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:01:11 pm by SunflowerP »

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69252
That is a very good question! It's in a bit of flux at the moment, actually, so I'm playing things somewhat close to the chest.

Ahhhh you too? Seems to be a common experience for a lot of my friends at the moment. :)

This is admittedly way more eclectic than some folks are probably comfortable with (I can think of a few people who'd be up in arms about inviting the "wrong" deity to a festival without specific mythic connections to them), and it's something we only really do when it's just the two of us.

Pfft, eclectic schmeclectic. If it works for you it works for you, and we'll let others get their knickers in a twist over it.

By the way, I saw in your recent blog post that you're still using the Lady of Star Fire chant from the LotS SIG ritual! Awesome, me too! I use it in the opening ritual for my flamekeeping shifts. :) Nice to see it living on in others' practices as well.
--Ali

Yup! I absolutely love that chant and sing it for all of my flamekeeping shifts, too. <3 I sadly lost the file of you singing it, though!
I shall endure.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »
Quote from: Morag;69256

So. "I'll have what Sage is having."

Crazy stalker. :D

*hands Sage a welcome basket* Welcome to the sitherhood of the Morrigan. Inside the basket you'll find your complimentary leather jacket with bitchin red stichin, a vial of the blood of your enemies, a spike for heads (great lawn decoration), safe sex supplies, and ten bottles of whiskey. Enjoy!

Do you remember when life was normal? I remember when life was normal and used to make sense. Those were good times. Whatever happened to them?
I shall endure.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:43 pm »
Quote from: Morag;69256

You forgot the big-ass boot that goes straight up your ass when you give up and/or slack off.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »
Enough about me! What about you?

As usual, I'll cook up big feast for my family and we'll enjoy a nice dinner together.  My oldest daughter loves holidays, especially making decorations, so I'm sure there'll be some fall craft projects involved.  As for ritual, I'll be doing an ADF ritual to honor the Earth Mother; and if my garden pulls through I might even have some fresh produce for an offering.

That's about it, though.  The Solstices are my big holidays, so the others are a little more low-key.

Quote from: Finn;69274
I'll likely celebrate like I usually do: with food! I'll make some corn chowder with stuff from the farmer's market, pour out some apple cider, and crack open a beer to toast to Bilbo and Frodo (whose birthday falls on September 22nd, and, being a total Geek*, I usually raise a glass to them along with whatever else I do on the equinox :p).

As a fellow geek, I knew Frodo and Bilbo's birthdays, but I never made the connection to the Equinox!  I'll have to make a toast as well :)
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:53 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;69308
You forgot the big-ass boot that goes straight up your ass when you give up and/or slack off.

Yeah, that comes with or without the welcome basket. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »
Quote from: Finn;69274
I'll likely celebrate like I usually do: with food! I'll make some corn chowder with stuff from the farmer's market, pour out some apple cider, and crack open a beer to toast to Bilbo and Frodo (whose birthday falls on September 22nd, and, being a total Geek, I usually raise a glass to them along with whatever else I do on the equinox :p).

How did I not know about this?! We are so throwing a Bilbo Birthday Party this year! :)

Also, your comment about the redundancy of another harvest festival reminded me of another aspect of the equinox festival that I like to focus on, which is the balance of light and dark, especially the nature of the equinoxes in particular as being global (unlike the fire festivals, which are much more local and dependent on your own bioregion). The solar festivals, but especially the equinoxes, have always felt to me like a good time to remember the relationship between my personal and locally-based practice and the larger global and even universal/cosmic patterns at work.

Plus, I forgot, in the name of balancing light and dark, yin and yang, masculine and feminine, etc.: starting this year, Jeff and I also get to celebrate our wedding anniversary on Sept. 16 from now on! (A nice balance for the year, too: six months after our first-date anniversary on March 17th, itself a kind of special holiday for us and also leading up to the vernal equinox.) I can't believe it's been almost a year since we were handfasted/married! So... lots of reasons to celebrate. :)

--Ali

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »
Quote from: Morag;69326
Yeah, that comes with or without the welcome basket. ;)

Good point.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: