"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?  (Read 10998 times)

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69424

Also, your comment about the redundancy of another harvest festival reminded me of another aspect of the equinox festival that I like to focus on, which is the balance of light and dark, especially the nature of the equinoxes in particular as being global (unlike the fire festivals, which are much more local and dependent on your own bioregion). The solar festivals, but especially the equinoxes, have always felt to me like a good time to remember the relationship between my personal and locally-based practice and the larger global and even universal/cosmic patterns at work.

That's a good point. It's easier for me to feel that connection between my own practice and universal patterns (constants, forces, etc.) at the solstices, perhaps because they are far more experiential. And more extreme. I notice the shortest and longest days of the year; it's harder for me to notice when the days are equal in length.

In short, it's easy for me to feel the holy at the edges of things; less so in the middle of them.

I can't believe it's been almost a year since we were handfasted/married! So... lots of reasons to celebrate. :)

You can't? I can't. :eek: I can't believe it's been a year since I moved into this apartment, got my current job, etc. I sort of celebrated those "harvests" that I've gained in my life at Lughnasadh when I made a new prosperity bottle, but I wonder if I missed anything else that I should acknowledge at the equinox.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
I can't believe it's been almost a year since we were handfasted/married! So... lots of reasons to celebrate. :)
--Ali

Congratulations, Ali! That reminds me, I've been meaning to start a thread on Pagan handfasting, especially in a Druid or Celtic context. (Mostly because my girlfriend and I have been talking, and while nothing's happening anytime soon, well... we've been looking at china patterns and have pretty much agreed that one day, we're building a hearth together.)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:58 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69305
Crazy stalker. :D

I've moved up from teleporting Canadian change into your bedroom. ;)

Quote from: Sage;69305
Do you remember when life was normal? I remember when life was normal and used to make sense. Those were good times. Whatever happened to them?

Yeah, I do. But then the Doctor the Morrigan came along, gave us the warrior spirit/told us we were brilliant, and took us for a ride in the TARDIS liminal spaces, next stop everywhere.

(I just finished Donna's season for the billionth time. I am somewhat weepy.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »
Also, your comment about the redundancy of another harvest festival reminded me of another aspect of the equinox festival that I like to focus on, which is the balance of light and dark, especially the nature of the equinoxes in particular as being global (unlike the fire festivals, which are much more local and dependent on your own bioregion). The solar festivals, but especially the equinoxes, have always felt to me like a good time to remember the relationship between my personal and locally-based practice and the larger global and even universal/cosmic patterns at work.

You...have just tossed me a lightbulb. Or, added a lightbulb to a divine epiphany that was in the works. Something's percolating in my head and my brain feels like it's going to explode. So...thank you.

Plus, I forgot, in the name of balancing light and dark, yin and yang, masculine and feminine, etc.: starting this year, Jeff and I also get to celebrate our wedding anniversary on Sept. 16 from now on! (A nice balance for the year, too: six months after our first-date anniversary on March 17th, itself a kind of special holiday for us and also leading up to the vernal equinox.) I can't believe it's been almost a year since we were handfasted/married! So... lots of reasons to celebrate. :)

Congrats!

I'm also on the same page of "oh my gods another year has passed what happened to the time." (My new year's celebration is August 14th, so it's the new year again for me.) My close friends got married last year on the 13th, and it seems like yesterday I was carrying the rings up to them and fainting from heat stroke.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Neo-Druid Autumn Equinox Plans?
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:43 am »
Quote from: Finn;69441

In short, it's easy for me to feel the holy at the edges of things; less so in the middle of them.

Not surprising, given that the solstices are such liminal times of the year.

Hmmm.........
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:58 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69449
Congratulations, Ali!

Quote from: Morag;69455
You...have just tossed me a lightbulb. Or, added a lightbulb to a divine epiphany that was in the works. Something's percolating in my head and my brain feels like it's going to explode. So...thank you.

Congrats!

I'm also on the same page of "oh my gods another year has passed what happened to the time." (My new year's celebration is August 14th, so it's the new year again for me.) My close friends got married last year on the 13th, and it seems like yesterday I was carrying the rings up to them and fainting from heat stroke.

Thanks! :) Turns out, being married isn't much harder than dating when you love the person. (Being child-free by choice probably helps with the marital bliss, of course. ;))

Also, always glad to provoke some percolation, Morag. :)

wayfarersmark

• View Profile
    • http://www.wayfarersmark.com
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 01:24:08 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69161
I was wondering what my fellow Neo-Druids might be up to for the equinox, if anything. Any myths you particularly associate with this time of the year?

Hello All! Our Grove is planning a rite to Thor for Autumn Equinox, with a feast at our house to follow. We've been knocking around a rite to Thor for a few years now, but never seemed to find the right time until now.

We're honored that we'll be joined with some friends from the local Troth as well! Two of our members are both ADFers as well as Troth members, and their kindred were curious about what our rites are like. We've wanted to do some outreach to Chicago-area non-Druid groups to strengthen community ties, so this will help us make some new friends.

The feast is going to feature corn chowder, fresh-baked breads and some amazing (if the past is any indication!) desserts by our Grovemates.

Blessings to all, and best of luck with your AE celebrations,

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »
Quote from: wayfarersmark;69935
Hello All! Our Grove is planning a rite to Thor for Autumn Equinox, with a feast at our house to follow.

Yay! Massive waving from a fellow ADFer. :D You're in Chicago, are you with Sweet Onion Grove?
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

wayfarersmark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69946
Yay! Massive waving from a fellow ADFer. :D You're in Chicago, are you with Sweet Onion Grove?

Hehe...no one's ever called us 'sweet', but we'll take it (Wild Onion Grove)! Big wave back, Sage! I think I've seen you post on the ADF Artisans list, yes?

Blessings,

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »
Quote from: wayfarersmark;69950
Hehe...no one's ever called us 'sweet', but we'll take it (Wild Onion Grove)! Big wave back, Sage! I think I've seen you post on the ADF Artisans list, yes?

Blessings,

Whoops, I knew onions had something to do with it. :D And no actually, I've never had the courage to post to any of the lists yet, but I've no doubt there's a few other Sages running around. It's not a name as omnipresent as, say, Raven or Merlin, but it's not that unique.

I'm a solitary and have been since 2010. The nearest grove to me is the Grove of the Seven Hills, which is only an hour away. Unfortunately, since I have the navigational skills of a stump...
I shall endure.

wayfarersmark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69960
Whoops, I knew onions had something to do with it. :D And no actually, I've never had the courage to post to any of the lists yet, but I've no doubt there's a few other Sages running around.

Well, definitely work up that courage, Sage! The lists can be intimidating (I was ADF's listmaster for three years, and had to read them all), but it's a great way to meet some good people. If you want an easy entree, definitely check out the Artisans list, if so inclined!

Quote from: Sage;69960
I'm a solitary and have been since 2010. The nearest grove to me is the Grove of the Seven Hills, which is only an hour away. Unfortunately, since I have the navigational skills of a stump...

If you ever find yourself in Chicagoland, we'd love to have you come to one of our rites. We're an eclectic Grove as far as hearth cultures go, and all of us are dedicated to making everyone feel welcome. GoSH has a lot of activities, so if you can get to them, I highly encourage it.

And if I can be of any help, please feel free to message me!

All the best,

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:17 pm »
Quote from: Sage;69161
I was wondering what my fellow Neo-Druids might be up to for the equinox, if anything.

Just giving this old thread a bump, since this is exactly what I am wondering at this present moment.

I usually get together with an eclectic Pagan friend on the sabbats and we light a candle, meditate a little, maybe recite a passage that she's found for the occasion, usually share a little food.

It's difficult because I'm ambivalent about ritual due to my specific personal beliefs (hopefully I explained this in my bio on my profile, if anybody wants to know).

But I'm quite interested in making some sort of offering - this would not be to a specific deity, but instead to the universe in general.  I thought if I could get this old thread kick started again I could maybe get some ideas from some of you.  Thanks in advance!

:)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;179433
Just giving this old thread a bump, since this is exactly what I am wondering at this present moment.

I usually perform a Harvest thanksgiving at Autumnal Equinox, which includes also gratitude for immaterial fruits of work and cultivation. It is a good occasion to meditate on the nature and cultivation of gratitude.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:30:55 pm by RecycledBenedict »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:56 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;179440
I usually perform a Harvest thanksgiving

Quote from: FraterBenedict;179440
also gratitude for immaterial fruits of work and cultivation.

These are good thoughts, thank you.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 05:23:12 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;179433

I am wondering about this again this year, anyone got any new ideas (or just anything not already mentioned in this thread)?

:)
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: