Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Yet Another Reincarnation Thread (Rut-ro!)  (Read 3742 times)

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Yet Another Reincarnation Thread (Rut-ro!)
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »
Well, here we go.  

I've been briefly over the reincarnation threads that are here, and am still wondering a few things.

I am fuzzy on the idea of reincarnation. Don't get me wrong, I understand the basic concept of "live in this life, die, then get reborn".  And I understand that different belief systems have different ideas of how that concept happens.  

I'd like to know your ideas about it, what shapes them.

I'd like to know your experiences.

I'd like to know if your deity was there for your past lives.

More importantly, I'd like to know how you found out about your past lives...

...and most importantly of all!  I'd like to know how I would go about finding out about mine, if I wanted to!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:34:39 pm by NibbleKat »
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Reincarnation Thread (Rut-ro!)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:20 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;69067
Well, here we go.  

I've been briefly over the reincarnation threads that are here, and am still wondering a few things.

I am fuzzy on the idea of reincarnation. Don't get me wrong, I understand the basic concept of "live in this life, die, then get reborn".  And I understand that different belief systems have different ideas of how that concept happens.  

...and most importantly of all!  I'd like to know how I would go about finding out about mine, if I wanted to!

I do believe in reincarnation, I'm just not really sure how it works. (Well, I guess no one is until they die) Part of me thinks you spend a bit of time in the afterlife before shimmying into another mortal coil. Perhaps it's done so people can learn lessons. Perhaps there's a finite amount of souls or perhaps the consciousness of human beings is so stubborn it refuses to simply "die."

I can imagine a bunch of souls enjoying the after life before someone says "Gods this is dull. You know what I could for? A kick in the kidneys."

Then everybody shouts "Yeah!" and some babies are born with the old souls of individuals who probably need to rethink why they wanted to come back. :eek:

(I'm on only one of my meds today so excuse me while my imagination runs wild.)

I don't know what my past lives were, or if they were even real; and the two experiences I've had can't really be confirmed,even by me. I do know during a past life meditation I got an inkling that one of my past lives involved me being a prostitute in the ancient Mediterannean area. And not even like, a well paid prostitute, I was a prostitute at a dirty, nasty, bar in a part of town that was dark, dank, and poor.

Another time I got a reading from someone at one of those New Age stores and she told me I was once a landowner during the fuedal era. I frequently abused my power while being cruel to those under under me. She also said I was murdered during a night of drinking.:confused:

It was an entertaining $25.

I don't think the gods I worship were aware of me much, if I was alive, at these times. I guess I've never really thought about it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:04:29 pm by dionysiandame »
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »

I don't believe in one-to-one reincarnation. That is- the concept that a person lives and then dies and then is reborn just doesn't mesh with my brain.

I do, however, believe that energy exists and cannot be destroyed, and that just because we do not yet have the capacity to measure the energy of a soul does not mean that it does not exist. (Forgive me if I'm mangling the science here- it's something that resonated with me in school and stuck around, but that doesn't mean my brain filed it properly.) But like anything else, when it dies it breaks down and changes, and gets new life in a new form.

To me, reincarnation is like this: a person is a glass of water. At death, the glass is emptied into the sea; a new soul is scooped up. All of those water molecules are still around- but what are the chances you're going to get the very same glassful?

What shaped this idea- lots of thinking, applying reality, some dreams, talking with other people. I can't point to any one thing or moment that solidified it for me, really.

I have never intentionally done past-life digging, so I can't help you there. I get the sense that a few of my deities have seen parts of my soul before, but I'm not sure, largely because the only pieces of past lives I've ever seen, in dreams or fire-trancework, have always been the last few moments before death. One part froze to death with a little boy, either a younger brother or son. One part died in childbirth. One part died of a wheezing, wasting, sweating unpleasantness. I honestly never paid them much attention, because they don't have any bearing on my life as it is now.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:37:56 pm »
When i was a kid, I would listen to my parents talking with their friends about this or that. Sometimes, maybe because one of my mother's friend's wives' awakened to spiritual development, I heard ideas exchanged about reincarnation. I continued to learn some more from osmosis: "karma" from certain deeds done in a past life, that follows into this one. Then, from books-- too many to list, some mentions to subtle to even count, others too thorough for me to properly ingest. These books were New Age, Hindu-Buddhist, Parapsychological-- some might even have been fiction.

My ideas now sort of go: the spiritual ego doesn't dissipate after death. It's a single entity with complex resonances, that is put through the wringer of life-as-we-know-it repeatedly in different times as a consequence. The events and experiences might be locked as tightly as clockwork. Or some chaos and/or free will would be allowed. There might be a collaboration between the ego, and some higher intelligence. Or reincarnation might simply be a natural phenomenon with no end goal, with a purpose in itself.

Another, more inchoate, idea: the ego completely dissipates after death and time is not linear. So, while there is some repeating movement of spirit-to-matter-to-spirit-to-matter, you can still meet your own reincarnation. Everybody living today probably is everybody else's simultaneous reincarnation. Regression of a past life simply depends on what the ego connected to the physical being, is attuned to. So, regressing to a past life, if viewed in "first person", will still give you a view of other past lives that only appear separate from the one you're currently exploring. Such a separation is as much a spiritual illusion, in those states of mind, as it is in the mundane mindstate interacting with other people. Certain other attunements might even allow for an individual to speak to a ghost of their past life as if a separate entity-- rather than seeing first-person point-of-view through chapters of a timeline of human history.

Stan Gooch's Origins of Psychic Phenomena had a section on someone who regressed to her life as... Joan of Arc, if I recall correctly? It was all very convincing, except for the year provided-- which turned out to have been an error that was repeated throughout all dramatic representations of Joan's life, or something, so it seems to have been more subconscious absorption coalescing into a past life experience. I'm open to that being the case for me, too.

This probably also covers how I found it out: I spent years of nightly meditations to get out of body, and the first thing that happens when I find myself out, is that I found myself in another body again. Oops. I thought I might have accidentally possessed someone, (who was in no danger from me, because it was the corporeal consciousness influencing my actions/thoughts/mood) but when I later related the experience to a psychic mentor of mine, she told me some of her own out-of-body-in-to-body experiences that she later concluded were past life regressions, and that I had very likely had one myself there.

Her view of past lives was that some ultimate intelligence extended its tendrils of life force into this specific life, with a plan for the soul in that life to progress and learn and do certain things for/to/on earth-- but then ego gets in the way, and all the spirit guides have to scramble around to get that person back on track.

That's an interesting question. I'm inclined to say No, because most deities I've managed to get the attention of have been of a very masculine polarity, and the one possibly past-life experience that I had featured what I believe was a spiritual entity with a very feminine polarity-- but I should explore more and ask around and get back to this (some day...you know how it is, even without a mundane life it's impossible to get a revelation on command or even a straight answer.)

The mentor I mention here used that reincarnation system to explain how she reads natal astrology charts. If you'd be comfortable sharing with me your date of birth down to the hour:minute, and location specific to the city, I could probably read it with what I picked up from my mentor.

It won't be intuitive, though. I just... personally found astrology far, far too mechanical. And it doesn't help that my view of reincarnation is up in the air and certainly very far from my mentor's. Alternatively, I've met a couple of people who simply get flashbacks-- way, way back-- when they meet people, and say that's probably their past lives that they can then describe for that person. So, well, there's another option: consult a psychic who has that as their specialty.

Finally, there's hypnosis/meditations/dreams... probably the only way I'd heartily recommend, but (full disclosure) that's turning out to be my approach to anything-everything paranormal. :p Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:40:17 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;69071

Another time I got a reading from someone at one of those New Age stores and she told me I was once a landowner during the fuedal era. I frequently abused my power while being cruel to those under under me. She also said I was murdered during a night of drinking.:confused:

It was an entertaining $25.

Haha! I wonder if that person ever tells folks that they were a poor, boring, rather stupid fellow who died a boring death and never made much of their life.... Hee.

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:39 pm »
Quote from: Juni;69082
I don't believe in one-to-one reincarnation. That is- the concept that a person lives and then dies and then is reborn just doesn't mesh with my brain.

I do, however, believe that energy exists and cannot be destroyed, and that just because we do not yet have the capacity to measure the energy of a soul does not mean that it does not exist. (Forgive me if I'm mangling the science here- it's something that resonated with me in school and stuck around, but that doesn't mean my brain filed it properly.) But like anything else, when it dies it breaks down and changes, and gets new life in a new form.

To me, reincarnation is like this: a person is a glass of water. At death, the glass is emptied into the sea; a new soul is scooped up. All of those water molecules are still around- but what are the chances you're going to get the very same glassful?

What shaped this idea- lots of thinking, applying reality, some dreams, talking with other people. I can't point to any one thing or moment that solidified it for me, really.

I have never intentionally done past-life digging, so I can't help you there. I get the sense that a few of my deities have seen parts of my soul before, but I'm not sure, largely because the only pieces of past lives I've ever seen, in dreams or fire-trancework, have always been the last few moments before death. One part froze to death with a little boy, either a younger brother or son. One part died in childbirth. One part died of a wheezing, wasting, sweating unpleasantness. I honestly never paid them much attention, because they don't have any bearing on my life as it is now.

No, I think I understand what you're going for.

In terms of the glass of water thing-- do you think that sometimes it's more like viscous liquid, in that in some cases, more of one life can be scooped up into the glass than at other times? Like... %40 this go-round, and only 3% the next go round?

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;69092
No, I think I understand what you're going for.

In terms of the glass of water thing-- do you think that sometimes it's more like viscous liquid, in that in some cases, more of one life can be scooped up into the glass than at other times? Like... %40 this go-round, and only 3% the next go round?

I don't see why not.

In the end, though, whether it's 40% or 3% or 0.42%: it's still not you- your experiences, your choices. That's not to say nothing can be learned from past-life work, but I'm not sure it's necessarily relevant, either. Of course, YMMV.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »
Well, here we go.  

I had an interest in understanding how reincarnation worked before I truly went into paganism. It was something I wanted to grasp, especially in regards of how karma could or could not play out even in absence of successful regressions.

While I never got a full regression, some years later, when I experienced and got over a personal crisis that brought me full circle with a past life, I had Hekate guiding me along a partial regression and a study of how the two lifetimes were inter-related and how I had managed to get over certain inbalances that had me led to death in that lifetime.

The strongest indicator I have that that experience was genuine is how much it shocked me at the time and how much in tune with myself I felt once it was over.

The rest of the info I have received goes back to the oracle work with Hekate, and that is the part I was instructed to not share until further notice.

I do know I've served Her in some way in another incarnation but regardless of my curiousity on the subject, I never had many details.

It would depend on the way you are more at ease. There's regression induced via recorded journeying that is the most known method, probably, but as when I tried I  forgot the most of what I had experienced the moment I 'awoke' at command, it never took me anywhere solid, result-wise.

If you work on the astral, you can probably access some kind of record on that plane.

The study of Karmic astrology is a method that helps if you want to gather a general idea of why you are where you are in this incarnation and where are you going and you want to gather data that your self-doubt can't attack too much.
A study of North and South Nodes alone can be very helpful to understand what you need without being overwhelmed/shocked/upset by memories of pastlife traumas.
Keep in account that our memories of other lives are blocked for a reason - they can be distracting or disorienting.

There's also the 'rumour' that we are not allowed to access memories of that kind unless we are at a point of our current lifetime where they don't play interference with some kind of purpose you are supposed to be pursuing.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
Quote from: Juni;69095
I don't see why not.

In the end, though, whether it's 40% or 3% or 0.42%: it's still not you- your experiences, your choices. That's not to say nothing can be learned from past-life work, but I'm not sure it's necessarily relevant, either. Of course, YMMV.

I tend to think of one-to-one reincarnation as the shedding of a skin. If we really have several energy bodies and the physical body is the most 'superficial' one, then the person can shed/release that one without releasing the rest... or something similiar.
I read about this ages ago and I remember those notions about 'astral anatomy' only vaguely.

Tough, I do agree that  regardless of the continuity that there's or there's not between different incarnations, our personality is unique to each lifetime.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;69105
I tend to think of one-to-one reincarnation as the shedding of a skin. If we really have several energy bodies and the physical body is the most 'superficial' one, then the person can shed/release that one without releasing the rest... or something similiar.
I read about this ages ago and I remember those notions about 'astral anatomy' only vaguely.

Tough, I do agree that  regardless of the continuity that there's or there's not between different incarnations, our personality is unique to each lifetime.

I think I am closer to you on this one. There's a little core that stays the same...

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:47 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;69083

The mentor I mention here used that reincarnation system to explain how she reads natal astrology charts. If you'd be comfortable sharing with me your date of birth down to the hour:minute, and location specific to the city, I could probably read it with what I picked up from my mentor.

Hey! When you say location specific to the city, what do you mean by that?

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:46:24 am »

My simplest answer is to picture a coiled, knotted string as the timeline.  It appears straight, as if you're an ant walking along it.  But if you step back, the string is not straight--it coils and loops and knots.  From the ant's perspective, time is straight.  You're running forward along the string.

However, from the outside, we can see that the string is coiled and knotted, looping and twisting.  This idea can give a visual for time paradoxes.

You add to this that our souls/essences/beings/whatever-you-choose-to-name-it lie outside time-space, and it creates an even more interesting picture.  We're like giant amoebas with pseudopods extending and retracting, always in motion.

Then this time-space string comes through and intersects our beings, and that's what we see as the here and now.  The here and now is where that time-space string intersects.... us.  We're outside of time and space, but where that string goes through our soul/essence/etc. is how we interact within that time and space.  This reality is just a singular string cross-section of our soul/higher being/... you put the word here--and how we perceive ourselves within it.

Reincarnation comes from the time-space string going through one of our pseudopods, leaving, then coiling back around.

This analogy also helps to explain why we can have more than one incarnation at a time.  We can meet ourself during this lifetime--we can have multiple incarnations at a time, depending on how the time-space string is coiled.

The trick is to know that the here and now is only a minute part of your higher self/essence/soul/etc.  Time-space and your part in it is only a miniscule part of you and how you interact with that tiny time-space string.

That string can run through you many times, ergo reincarnation.  It feels linear when you're on the string, experiencing time-space as your awareness moves along the string, but when you step back, it's nothing but a string.

I know this is a little tough to grasp, but I'm trying to use metaphors and analogies.  Hopefully they help to convey an idea that's very tough to convey.

Best~
EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
Quote from: EJay;69372

That string can run through you many times, ergo reincarnation.  It feels linear when you're on the string, experiencing time-space as your awareness moves along the string, but when you step back, it's nothing but a string.

I know this is a little tough to grasp, but I'm trying to use metaphors and analogies.  Hopefully they help to convey an idea that's very tough to convey.

Best~
EJay

No, that's a very good interpretation of the idea!

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »
Quote from: EJay;69372
Reincarnation comes from the time-space string going through one of our pseudopods, leaving, then coiling back around.

This analogy also helps to explain why we can have more than one incarnation at a time.  We can meet ourself during this lifetime--we can have multiple incarnations at a time, depending on how the time-space string is coiled.

The trick is to know that the here and now is only a minute part of your higher self/essence/soul/etc.  Time-space and your part in it is only a miniscule part of you and how you interact with that tiny time-space string.

Best~
EJay

Wow... this is really making me think.  My thoughts on reincarnation had always run along the lines of one-to-one; I never really looked at it this way before.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:09:58 am »
Quote from: NibbleKat;69197
Hey! When you say location specific to the city, what do you mean by that?

Apparently it makes some difference if you say you were born in a hospital in Oxford as opposed to London, for example. But not so much difference if you were born 08:03:32 AM or 08:03:50 AM. But it makes a difference if you were born 08:02 AM versus 08:03 AM.

Though, I had a friend who told me that she had to fiddle a bit with the info on her birth certificate about where she was born, for political reasons. And, apparently the astrology connected to those birth circumstances began to apply more accurately to her than the secret one. So, I thought that might be a good thing to keep in mind for, say, adoptees who weren't registered right away and who maybe get to pick their birthday?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: