collapse

Author Topic: new light on an old point  (Read 1794 times)

Talking Cloud

• View Profile
new light on an old point
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:33:11 am »
[/SIZE][/FONT]  Greetings.  I am an eclectic solitary student of nature and the occult.  In my spirituality research, I have discovered a relatively rare bit of scripture in the "Hindu Bible" (Bhagavad-Gita) in which it is stated: "Among natural elements, I am ether; that which carries sound."

When I applied this saying to the pentacle and the 5 ordinary senses, I found that each sense corresponds to an element of nature.  Earth couples with the sense of touch.  Water couples with taste. Air couples with smell.  Fire couples with sight.  And ether couples with hearing.

Thus, each point of the pentacle's inner star relates to each sense.  So, what of the outer circle?  This represents power or spirit.  Power moves in circles.  Have you ever seen a square tornado?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: new light on an old point
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:06 am »
Quote from: Talking Cloud;66929
In my spirituality research, I have discovered a relatively rare bit of scripture in the "Hindu Bible" (Bhagavad-Gita) in which it is stated: "Among natural elements, I am ether; that which carries sound."

When I applied this saying to the pentacle and the 5 ordinary senses, I found that each sense corresponds to an element of nature.  Earth couples with the sense of touch.  Water couples with taste. Air couples with smell.  Fire couples with sight.  And ether couples with hearing.

YUPGMV (Your Unverified Personal Gnosis May Vary) though. I see many, many, many, many many ways to rearrange this.

We eat salt, so Earth (because salt is a rock) might correspond to taste instead.
Fire is hot, and nerve signals are electric, so fire can correspond to touch instead.
Sound can be transmitted through any medium, in fact it goes faster in water-- perhaps that's where it was meant to be. Most people who are deaf can still "hear" through the vibrational frequencies, though, so maybe Earth corresponds to sound as much as touch. Taste depends a lot on smell, so taste and smell could very well be one sense.

What about proprioception? It's like feeling, except instead of feeling something in/on your body, you have a sense of your body's location and direction. That can still count as a sense, even though it's mental-- a spatial, kinaesthetic thing.

Or maybe your correspondents would fit better with another elemental system: Chinese mysticism has earth, wood, metal, fire and water-- no air. Perhaps more fitting to put air as the outer circle, and one with ether, if you're going the Bhagavad Gita route and maybe incorporating yogic breathing and mantras?

There are infinite, at least millions, of ways to shmoosh these systems together.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Talking Cloud

• View Profile
Re: new light on an old point
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »
Quote from: triple_entendre;66941
YUPGMV (Your Unverified Personal Gnosis May Vary) though. I see many, many, many, many many ways to rearrange this.

We eat salt, so Earth (because salt is a rock) might correspond to taste instead.
Fire is hot, and nerve signals are electric, so fire can correspond to touch instead.
Sound can be transmitted through any medium, in fact it goes faster in water-- perhaps that's where it was meant to be. Most people who are deaf can still "hear" through the vibrational frequencies, though, so maybe Earth corresponds to sound as much as touch. Taste depends a lot on smell, so taste and smell could very well be one sense.

What about proprioception? It's like feeling, except instead of feeling something in/on your body, you have a sense of your body's location and direction. That can still count as a sense, even though it's mental-- a spatial, kinaesthetic thing.

Or maybe your correspondents would fit better with another elemental system: Chinese mysticism has earth, wood, metal, fire and water-- no air. Perhaps more fitting to put air as the outer circle, and one with ether, if you're going the Bhagavad Gita route and maybe incorporating yogic breathing and mantras?

There are infinite, at least millions, of ways to shmoosh these systems together.

"YUPGMV"...Well, you have certainly made me think outside my self-made box!  Thanks for the reply.

Tags: