USA
    Religion
    Bealach Bhríde
    Pronouns
    she/her

Re: Favorite Discworld books?

Quote Originally Posted by comW View Post
    Night watch,
    And "the one where vimes goes to the dwarves and ends up reciting "wheres my cow" in a VERY loud voice"
    Thud! was one of the Discworld books that literally left me breathless.

That scene was so amazing. WHERE'S MY COW! :D
    Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Journeyman Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class1000 Experience Points
    AlisonLeighLilly is on a distinguished road AlisonLeighLilly's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Jan 2013 @ 03:48 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Druid (Celtic Pagan)

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Thud! was one of the Discworld books that literally left me breathless.

That scene was so amazing. WHERE'S MY COW! :D
    Oh yay! So glad I'm not the only one totally in love with the Watch books! :D

I think Night Watch is maybe my absolute favorite - I've read it three or four times, and it still gets me swinging between hysterical laughter and sobs (which is my kind of book ). That was actually the book that got me hooked on Pratchett to begin with - I'd read a few of the earlier Wizard-focused ones, and they were okay and amusing, but not astounding or anything. I'd say Night Watch (and some of the other Watch books, like Thud and Jingo) are astounding. I think I also like that they tend to deal a bit more with questions like justice and such, but in typical Pratchett style.

Other than the Watch books, I think the Witches books are my second favorite (including the Tiffany Aching series). Granny Weatherwax kicks some major ass - I aspire to be that kind of old lady when I grow up. Plus, what's so satisfying in the Witch books is how Prachett manages to make fun of "fluffy bunny" types while still showing enormous sympathy and subtlety for those characters. It's those kinds of books that make me think he must have at least a few Pagan fans keeping him in line and letting him know what the real stuff's all about.

--Ali

Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Brighidine something I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    Any where the Witches, Death or Susan take centre stage.
    Is it weird that Lord Vetinari is one of my favourite characters?

Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Pyperlie is on a distinguished road Pyperlie's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Mar 2013 @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I want to read more of Discworld, but my normal method of starting with the first and reading chronologically did not work particularly well. I can't recall offhand the name of the first Discworld novel, but I do remember not liking it much.

So far I've read Small Gods and Pyramids; I liked the former quite a bit, and liked the latter well enough.

So, what are your favorites?
    It's impossible, for me anyway, to pick a favorite book, but maybe you should come at it from another angle. What was it you really liked about Small Gods? If you like that it had a more philosophical bent, pretty much all of them from Reaper Man on are like that. In fact, I really love all of the ones that're after Reaper Man if they're part of one of the serieses.

The Wizard books tend to be more funny, and the Death and Witches and Watch ones (post-Reaper Man, anyway) tend to be more serious, with the Moist ones somewhere between. I must admit, though, when it comes to the one-offs Small Gods is the exception to the rule; most of them are nowhere near as good. I kinda liked The Truth, and even so have to admit that (The Patrician/Tyrant of Ankh-Morpork) Vetinari's small roll was the highlight of it. Well, that and the vibe of Ankh-Morpork, and the feeling of walking around the place as a stranger to it.
    Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
    ~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Pyperlie is on a distinguished road Pyperlie's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Mar 2013 @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Atheist

Quote Originally Posted by rocquelaire View Post
    Ah, dude, me too! I adore Vetinari.

Although the Luggage, Rincewind, Death, Carrot and Vimes sometimes give him a run for his money, none of them ever quite edge out his exquisite awesome. Oh, and the Feegles, of course, but everybody loves them. I think if he were able to write enough more of them for us all to really get to know them, Moist and Adora Belle would be up there, too.
    Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
    ~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Apprentice Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Adele is on a distinguished road Adele's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Nov 2013 @ 05:42 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pagan

I want to read more of Discworld, but my normal method of starting with the first and reading chronologically did not work particularly well. I can't recall offhand the name of the first Discworld novel, but I do remember not liking it much.

So far I've read Small Gods and Pyramids; I liked the former quite a bit, and liked the latter well enough.

Death, hands down is my favorite character to read about although it's a tie between the witches (I have Nanny Ogg's cookbook) or the Night Watch for second place. There is something about Vimes and Co. that I really enjoy.

So, Hogfather and Reaper Man for Death, Feet of Clay and Guards! Guards! for the Night Watch, and Carpe Jugulum and Maskerade for the Witches.

I like me some Terry Pratchett stories.

Apprentice Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Adele is on a distinguished road Adele's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Nov 2013 @ 05:42 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by rocquelaire View Post
    I like Lord Vetinari quite a bit myself but he's second fiddle to Granny Weatherwax for me.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Nov 2014 @ 08:54 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Vanic Pagan
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

I've only read a few, but of the ones I've read I like Mort, Reaper Man, and Carpe Jugulum. Reaper Man was even quoted during one of my favourite shows: Criminal Minds

Someone already mentioned it, but Good Omens (co-authored with Neil Gaiman) is probably my favourite book of all time.

Master Member Achievements:
    Overdrive3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    FollowerofOdin can only hope to improve FollowerofOdin's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Jul 2013 @ 08:57 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenismos

I liked Equal Rites because it featured a female wizard that was trying to pretend to be a witch, or thinking that she was a witch because she was a girl. Granny Weatherwax was great in that book, especially when she was talking to a tree that use to be a wizard. Great story and I'm sad that Terry didn't do another book with her.

Master Member Achievements:
    Overdrive3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    FollowerofOdin can only hope to improve FollowerofOdin's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Jul 2013 @ 08:57 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenismos

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonLeighLilly View Post
    Oh yay! So glad I'm not the only one totally in love with the Watch books! :D

I think Night Watch is maybe my absolute favorite - I've read it three or four times, and it still gets me swinging between hysterical laughter and sobs (which is my kind of book ). That was actually the book that got me hooked on Pratchett to begin with - I'd read a few of the earlier Wizard-focused ones, and they were okay and amusing, but not astounding or anything. I'd say Night Watch (and some of the other Watch books, like Thud and Jingo) are astounding. I think I also like that they tend to deal a bit more with questions like justice and such, but in typical Pratchett style.

Other than the Watch books, I think the Witches books are my second favorite (including the Tiffany Aching series). Granny Weatherwax kicks some major ass - I aspire to be that kind of old lady when I grow up. Plus, what's so satisfying in the Witch books is how Prachett manages to make fun of "fluffy bunny" types while still showing enormous sympathy and subtlety for those characters. It's those kinds of books that make me think he must have at least a few Pagan fans keeping him in line and letting him know what the real stuff's all about.

--Ali
    There's another book called "I Shall Wear Midnight' which is another Tiffany Aching book bringing the number in that series up to four.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3