Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Favorite Sport  (Read 8802 times)

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Favorite Sport
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most. I know there are plenty of soccer(football) fans and for everyone's sake please try to specify which type you are talking about either soccer as International Football or football as American football.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:20:04 am by RandallS »

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Favorite Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:34:09 pm »
Quote from: cwummel;4416
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most. I know there are plenty of soccer(football) fans and for everyone's sake please try to specify which type you are talking about either soccer as International Football or football as American football.

**grin** Gotta love the request about clarifying which football you're talking about! ;)

I have to say, I don't normally watch sports. I will occasionally remember to watch the major Thoroughbred horse races (e.g., the Triple Crown--especially the Derby), but that's about it.

I have been roped into watching American football or basketball; usually, it because it's either someone else's T.V., or because the person watching is an overnight/staying-for-a-couple-days guest in my home. (In the latter case, I usually have my nose in a book, and only occasionally comment on a pass or something.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:35:09 am »

Mine's hockey. Ice hockey, if we're being specific, although I used to play inline as well. Now, I only play ice and I've only ever watched ice. I also enjoy American football, although it's a bit slow for me since I'm used to the speed of a hockey game. I might actually be playing football here in a month or so since my brother's planning on organizing an informal league.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:43:37 am »

Hockey, ringette and CFL (Canadian) football. :)

Hockey: Didn't get into it until I was older (due to the unique situation Winnipeg was in when I was growing up).

Ringette: Started playing when I was 7. I stopped playing a couple years ago, although I'd like to get back in via a rec league.

CFL (Canadian Football League) football: Been watching since I was about 6. Dad took me to a game once, and I really loved watching it. :) Don't go out to as much games as I used to, but I'm going to aim for more this year since it'll be the last year my home team is playing at their stadium before they move to a new one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:44:06 am by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:51 am »
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most.

Gymnastics and figure skating, although I haven't watched much of either since we had to drop Sky Sports from our subscription.

I also enjoy watching tennis and cricket highlights, but I don't think I'd manage to sit through an entire match.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:57 am »

For me I love watching American Football. I prefer college, but the pros can be good to watch if two good teams are playing.  I have watched some CFL, I live in MI so its hard not to watch it once in a while. ;)

I also enjoy watching bodybuilding competitions (mostly over the internet), World's Strongest Man, and HOCKEY!

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:41:30 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;4490

CFL (Canadian Football League) football: Been watching since I was about 6. Dad took me to a game once, and I really loved watching it. :) Don't go out to as much games as I used to, but I'm going to aim for more this year since it'll be the last year my home team is playing at their stadium before they move to a new one.

I'd watch Canadian football if I could get it here. A couple of years ago, I was at my hockey rink and they always have some kind of sporting event on the TV. It was July and they had football on, which was awesome, although confusing for us until we realized it was Canadian football. A bunch of us changed out in the main area so we could keep watching. Sadly, I don't have cable (or whatever special package you need to get that) nor do I even have TV... but it was fun to watch.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:11:21 am »
Quote from: Waterfall;4721
I'd watch Canadian football if I could get it here. A couple of years ago, I was at my hockey rink and they always have some kind of sporting event on the TV. It was July and they had football on, which was awesome, although confusing for us until we realized it was Canadian football. A bunch of us changed out in the main area so we could keep watching. Sadly, I don't have cable (or whatever special package you need to get that) nor do I even have TV... but it was fun to watch.

Well, you could always do what I do: watch streams online. Some are legal, some arn't. It's how I'm able to watch certain hockey games (seriously CBC, we don't care that much about Toronto to watch most of their games) because they won't broadcast them here.

I'm glad to know someone outside of Canada likes watching it, though. :) Here both kinds are liked (CFL and NFL), but then I get remarks like "watch NFL, it's /real/ football" that just makes me want to roll my eyes. They're two different leagues, with different styles. Plus, I don't really have an interest in any of the teams. I think the only team I ever cheered for was New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:01:21 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;4724
Well, you could always do what I do: watch streams online. Some are legal, some arn't. It's how I'm able to watch certain hockey games (seriously CBC, we don't care that much about Toronto to watch most of their games) because they won't broadcast them here.

I'm glad to know someone outside of Canada likes watching it, though. :) Here both kinds are liked (CFL and NFL), but then I get remarks like "watch NFL, it's /real/ football" that just makes me want to roll my eyes. They're two different leagues, with different styles. Plus, I don't really have an interest in any of the teams. I think the only team I ever cheered for was New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

I hear you might be getting the Toronto (Buffalo) Bills sometime in the near future.

The two leagues are two different styles and I actually like how open the Canadian field is.  It allows for more of a passing game to develop and maybe a different type of running attack as well.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 03:20:06 pm »

Ice hockey, soccer (futbol), and swimming.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Amaranth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:06:43 am »

I was raised on American Football and Baseball.  Still love them both but also have become very rabid about Hockey, Basketball and Lacrosse!  I have watched some soccer(football) and its ok but I would probably like it more if I knew the rules.  :D:

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:06 am »

I love watching curling. When the olympicas are on that is all I want to watch. I know it is slow, I know it is not well understood, but it is like watching something amazing at work.

I like to watch sports that take more thought than action. Poker, chess and the like.

When I can I watch American football.

Ghost of the Navigator

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:23 am »

I grew up on American Football.  I follow both the pro's and college.  I also like to watch hockey and basketball when I can get the chance.  I also am a fan of indoor lacrosse, its a fun fast paced sport.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:52 am »

I love American football, Hockey when it's near the end of the season/playoffs, and UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:14 am »
Quote from: Ghost of the Navigator;7901
I grew up on American Football.  I follow both the pro's and college.  I also like to watch hockey and basketball when I can get the chance.  I also am a fan of indoor lacrosse, its a fun fast paced sport.

My experience has taught me that lacrosse can be fast paced both indoor and outdoor.  Watched a local high school game last year and was really impressed at how quickly it was played.

Tags: