Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Favorite Sport  (Read 8801 times)

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Sport
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 06:15:11 am »
Quote from: cwummel;4416
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most. I know there are plenty of soccer(football) fans and for everyone's sake please try to specify which type you are talking about either soccer as International Football or football as American football.

'kay.  Let's see if you buy into this.  My hubby's a huge sports fanatic and we had some good discussions on what constitutes a sport.  So here's three definitions we finally came to agree upon:

Sport:  1) Must be competitive (must have winners and losers) and 2) must be physical.

Game:  1) Must be competitive and 2) is non-physical.

Training/Activity:  Applies to either sports or games when there is no competition involved.

So by these rules, swimming is not a sport unless you're competing, same as with jogging or weight-lifting.  Otherwise, you're training or doing an activity.

Ping-pong is a sport, curling is a sport (*rolling eyes*), darts is a sport, but poker is a game.  Chess is a game.  Rock-climbing is an activity (unless there's a race to the top).  Cheerleading is an activity unless it's a competitive activity, whereby it jumps into the sports category.

These three definitions helped smooth over those "Oh yeah?  But what about this [fill in the blank]? Sunday-during-half-time debates."  I've found it works pretty well, but sometimes I have to roll my eyes at, but accept, what the definitions decree.  Like pool.  By our definition, pool is a sport.  'kay.  I've agreed to accept that, like darts.  Even marbles falls under that one.  But, so long as we're clear on our definitions....!

Best~
EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
Quote from: EJay;9433

Sport:  1) Must be competitive (must have winners and losers) and 2) must be physical.

Game:  1) Must be competitive and 2) is non-physical.

Training/Activity:  Applies to either sports or games when there is no competition involved.

I always say that a sport requires sweat caused by physical exertion. And at least somewhat competitive. I sometimes play hockey with friends and we don't really keep score, so there's no winners or losers, but I wouldn't call that a non-sport. It's competitive in the fact we're playing against each other, but it's also just for fun and winning isn't important.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 05:04:59 am »
Quote from: Wood Rose;5871
I love watching curling. When the olympicas are on that is all I want to watch. I know it is slow, I know it is not well understood, but it is like watching something amazing at work.

I like to watch sports that take more thought than action. Poker, chess and the like.

When I can I watch American football.

I'm serious when I ask this because I don't get it.  What is it about curling?  I'm obviously missing something and I'd really like to know what I'm missing.

Best~
EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

FunkyDemon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 10:33:49 pm »
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most. I know there are plenty of soccer(football) fans and for everyone's sake please try to specify which type you are talking about either soccer as International Football or football as American football.

The only sports I watch/have an interest in are combat sports.  Martial arts, boxing, kick boxing, etc.  I've never had much interest in 'traditional' sports.

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:28:31 pm »

American football and pro wrestling are tied for my first pick, second is baseball, next is soccer (international football) and last is tennis

*edit* And I have to throw in martial arts in third before soccer (international football) ((Taekwondo to be specific))
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:32:46 pm by LeaLynne »

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »

American Football, probably because I'm from Texas where American Football is like religion. Whole towns shut down and we 20k high school stadiums. I love me some football. The fall is my favorite season because it's football season.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »
I know this can cause some people to become, agitated, but please share the sport you enjoy/watch the most.

Drunken badminton.  It's a local thing.  Hyper-local.  My front yard, precisely.  Season's over now, though.  

Brina

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;27740
Drunken badminton.  It's a local thing.  Hyper-local.  My front yard, precisely.  Season's over now, though.  

Brina

It sounds funny, Brina.

I like to rollerskate and to bike around, nothing much daring or brave :-P

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;27740
Drunken badminton.  It's a local thing.  Hyper-local.  My front yard, precisely.  

Badminton is great, even sober.  :)  Amazing how competive everyone can get when it's just a backyard game.  

Personally, I love American football.  Denver Broncos-- sans Tebow-- all the way.  Other than that I enjoy all things martial arts... it's the only physical discipline where I was really good.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 11:04:04 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;55486

Personally, I love American football.  Denver Broncos-- sans Tebow-- all the way.  Other than that I enjoy all things martial arts... it's the only physical discipline where I was really good.

American football is awesome.  I'm a huge fan of the Steelers ;)

I also love fencing.  I'm a sabreist, through and through - much to the chagrin of my club-mates when I decide to pick up another weapon type, hahaha.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Sven Torden

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 09:45:57 am »
Quote from: FunkyDemon;9811
The only sports I watch/have an interest in are combat sports.  Martial arts, boxing, kick boxing, etc.  I've never had much interest in 'traditional' sports.

It's the same for me, specially K-1 or MMA. I didn't  watch others  sports, even if I practise them sometimes.
Nevertheless, I wait with impatience the olympics games !

In Europa, there are American football but it's not mediated. Unfortunately there are only the soccer which pass on tv. Ah yes, we have rugby also...not my thing.

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 09:50:11 am »
Quote from: Sven Torden;55528
It's the same for me, specially K-1 or MMA. I didn't  watch others  sports, even if I practise them sometimes.

In Europa, there are American football but it's not mediated. Unfortunately there are only the soccer which pass on tv. Ah yes, we have rugby also...not my thing.

I don't really watch sport but if I do it's rugby, figure skating or floor gymnastics. I come from a family of Rugby fans so if I am watching it it is normally cause I am at the rents.

FunkyDemon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
Quote from: Sven Torden;55528

Normally I would be excited by the Olympics, but I have discovered from past experience that none of the sports I want to watch are ever televised.  So if I can't watch it, it doesn't exist.  So that makes the Olympics in general a non-event.  

This year I'll check the schedule again to see if anything good will be on, but I doubt it.

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 04:16:01 am »
Quote from: FunkyDemon;56656
Normally I would be excited by the Olympics, but I have discovered from past experience that none of the sports I want to watch are ever televised.  So if I can't watch it, it doesn't exist.  So that makes the Olympics in general a non-event.  

This year I'll check the schedule again to see if anything good will be on, but I doubt it.

American Football, particularly the Washington Redskins since the 90's.. Yes I am supposed to be an avid Aussie Rules/AFL & Cricket fan but those sports just don't compare :D:

Tags: