Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Books on Egyptian Magic  (Read 4869 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Books on Egyptian Magic
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:29:26 am »
Is there a scholarly book on Egyptian magic that offers a good explanation and ideas about how to practice it? I've read many books on Ancient Egyptian magic and religion, although none of them really go into much detail on magical practice, and it's something I'm interested in right now.

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Books on Egyptian Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:53:07 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;64234
Is there a scholarly book on Egyptian magic that offers a good explanation and ideas about how to practice it? I've read many books on Ancient Egyptian magic and religion, although none of them really go into much detail on magical practice, and it's something I'm interested in right now.

I don't own it yet so can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but "The Light of Egypt" by Thomas Burgoyne has been recommended to me. Wallace Budge has a two-volume set titled "The Gods of the Egyptians" but I could never penetrate very far into it. Beyond that, I understand that Antoine Court de Gebelin was one of the first European occultists to attribute Egyptian sources to the magical practices of his time. I also don't own Le Monde Primatif, so can't say if it would be of any use (but it's in French, and I've lost most of that I once knew). You might also see what you can dig up on the Mysteries of Isis, which, according to Manly P. Hall, Pythagoras was initiated into when he went to Thebes. The Golden Dawn rituals were allegedly based on Egyptian magical practices, but their purity may be doubtful. You could research the background literature on S.L. "MacGregor" Mathers and Wynn Westcott to see if you can find any hints about their source material.
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Phaedric;64262
I don't own it yet so can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but "The Light of Egypt" by Thomas Burgoyne has been recommended to me. Wallace Budge has a two-volume set titled "The Gods of the Egyptians" but I could never penetrate very far into it. Beyond that, I understand that Antoine Court de Gebelin was one of the first European occultists to attribute Egyptian sources to the magical practices of his time. I also don't own Le Monde Primatif, so can't say if it would be of any use (but it's in French, and I've lost most of that I once knew). You might also see what you can dig up on the Mysteries of Isis, which, according to Manly P. Hall, Pythagoras was initiated into when he went to Thebes. The Golden Dawn rituals were allegedly based on Egyptian magical practices, but their purity may be doubtful. You could research the background literature on S.L. "MacGregor" Mathers and Wynn Westcott to see if you can find any hints about their source material.

No.  Stay away from Budge.  His work is been found to be inaccurate.  

The authors I would suggest to you are:  Richard Reidy, Kerry Wisner, Pinch, and Jeremy Naydler.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

Scholarly Works

The Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magical Practice by Robert Ritner (It's available free online from University of Chicago).  This is a dissertation.  

Magic in Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch

Magic and Mystery in Ancient Egypt by Christian Jacq

Modern Kemetic Books

The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara Siuda

Kerry Wisner has a book on magic out from lulu.com.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;64268

The authors I would suggest to you are:  Richard Reidy, Kerry Wisner, Pinch, and Jeremy Naydler.

I second these (except Wisner, honestly. I don't care for his work.).

There is no "Heka 101" book out there. It just doesn't exist. A lot of what you'll pick up is through academic texts and inference.

For Rittner's book: http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/egypt.html

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »
Quote from: Devo;64616
I second these (except Wisner, honestly. I don't care for his work.).

There is no "Heka 101" book out there. It just doesn't exist. A lot of what you'll pick up is through academic texts and inference.

For Rittner's book: http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/catalog/egypt.html

-Devo

And a lot of stuff that's just a clusterf**ck of randomness that's been thrown together and called Egyptian.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

Stay away from Brier's Ancient Egyptian Magic - the only good thing in there, IMO, is the calendar at the back.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;64632
Stay away from Brier's Ancient Egyptian Magic - the only good thing in there, IMO, is the calendar at the back.

I've heard good things about this book... what is bad about it? Asking so I don't waste my money :P

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:58 am »
Quote from: Devo;64692
I've heard good things about this book... what is bad about it? Asking so I don't waste my money :P

-Devo

It isn't a book on magic, per se, and while it does have examples of spells, etc. it just doesn't read as an authoritative source.  I learned more about heka from Pinch and David.

I think Brier is a better source for things related to mummification, honestly.  He has direct experience.

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:44:15 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;64757
I think Brier is a better source for things related to mummification, honestly.  He has direct experience.

They had Brier and his wife out here to do a program for the "Secrets of the Tomb" exhibit. The mummification part of the program was good, but the other stuff was really 'meh.'

The Pinch book isn't a how-to, but if you read that you'll be able to spot the idiotic goofery a mile away. The Ritner book has an extensive treatment of magical spitting and licking, which you probably won't find in the 'Egyptian Pop Magickye' books.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Sekhmet-Isis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:33 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;64268

I agree, totally, stay away from Budge. He's stolen so much from Egypt and he stole the Scroll of Ani (I hope I spelled his name right). He might of been good for his time, but he was a thief. I totally recommend Richard Reidy, though his book is very long and can be hard to follow. His book is one of the many that I plan to buy this year. Pinch, I've heard of, but I've never been able to get my hands on his book.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:35 pm »
Quote from: Sekhmet-Isis;104026
...His book is one of the many that I plan to buy this year. Pinch, I've heard of, but I've never been able to get my hands on his book.

Her book, actually - Geraldine Pinch.

Tags: