Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic Culture  (Read 14092 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Celtic Culture
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »
What part of Celtic culture is most appealing to you? For me it's the myths and music and the overall mistique about them.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Celtic Culture
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:23 am »
Quote from: Celtag;63147
What part of Celtic culture is most appealing to you? For me it's the myths and music and the overall mistique about them.

Those definitely, as well as the archeology/anthropology of the Irish as well as the inferred/reconstructed practices

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:06:17 am »

That I am standing dead center in its continental heartland.
It soaked into the land here, that's been populated for thousands of years already, and continued the history of humans here.
Now the awareness of it rises again and people seem to like it and willingly accept Samhain fire celebrations, which they attend even in pouring rains.
There is magic here.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:22:16 am »

Definitely those three, plus the reverence towards nature and spirits.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:06 am »
For me it's the myths and music and the overall mistique about them.

Yep.  That.

Quote from: Sharysa;63333
the reverence towards nature and spirits.

Yep.  That too.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

TonupGael

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://tonuppagan.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:18 am »

For me its about engaging in the customs, traditions and values of my ancestors. I tend to look towards my ancestors world view as a form of inspiration because I feel it helps me feel apart of my people even more as odd as this sounds.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:33 am »

While I very much enjoy modern representations of some aspects of celtic culture - especially the music - my interest in the ancient culture is familial/historical. The depth and breadth of Celtic influence and experience - social organization, material culture, etc. - was fascinating to me long before I looked at it with neopagan/quasi-recon eyes. It's beautiful, and strong, and earthy not in the neopagan sense but the common sense... grounded, sanguine, proud.

Thinking about the 'woo' so commonly associated with the idea of 'celtic' in popular and neopagan culture, I once wrote that my celts can beat up your celts. ;)

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:35 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;63387
While I very much enjoy modern representations of some aspects of celtic culture - especially the music - my interest in the ancient culture is familial/historical. The depth and breadth of Celtic influence and experience - social organization, material culture, etc. - was fascinating to me long before I looked at it with neopagan/quasi-recon eyes. It's beautiful, and strong, and earthy not in the neopagan sense but the common sense... grounded, sanguine, proud.

Seconding the appreciation for Celtic culture, especially as a writer. I found A Smaller Social History of Ireland and it's just so fascinating to get into the Ancient Irish mentality.

Thinking about the 'woo' so commonly associated with the idea of 'celtic' in popular and neopagan culture, I once wrote that my celts can beat up your celts.

Hell yes. Realistically, you can't have the self-assurance and intense honor of a Celt without SOME disagreement blowing up into a fight/skirmish/war.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:44:01 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;63509
Seconding the appreciation for Celtic culture, especially as a writer. I found A Smaller Social History of Ireland and it's just so fascinating to get into the Ancient Irish mentality.

Hell yes. Realistically, you can't have the self-assurance and intense honor of a Celt without SOME disagreement blowing up into a fight/skirmish/war.
I also enjoy the history and the ancient aspects of the Celts going all ther way back to the Hallstat culture. I do think in todays world people dont really see the Celts as they were in the past. a tribal and warrior culture fighting for their lives from each other and invaders, and to still be around shows just how tough these people really were. Knowing that I come from these people makes me feel very proud every day.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:46:38 am by Celtag »

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Celtic Culture
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »

I dearly love Celtic music in all it's forms, particularly both styles of bagpipes. But I think what I love more is how the land is considered sacred. Even today, many in Ireland won't cut down Faerie Trees. It's a respect for place I don't see or feel in the US, even among what's considered our sacred places.

I also like that the Gods are flawed and fallible. I can relate to these Gods, and they can relate to flawed, fallible me.

Karen

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:13 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;63705
I also like that the Gods are flawed and fallible. I can relate to these Gods, and they can relate to flawed, fallible me.

Seconding that hard.

One of the things that made me feel the worst as a Catholic was the idea that God was omniscient/omnipotent and knew everything. I never felt I could talk to God because I kept going, "What's the point in asking God about things if he knows what's going to happen?"

And the idea that God was a perfect being did NOT do well for my various issues.

Ask-Embla

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »
What part of Celtic culture is most appealing to you?

In the beginning I didn't give two hoots and a holler about celtic culture. That changed when I had a fairly intimate, erm, "conversation" with a tree. Once I processed that, my next move was "Okay, what religion fits this?" I knew I was a pagan, and now I'm starting to feel more strongly all the time that I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist, and things that never mattered to me before, the gods and the languages and the myths and the music, matter more than I ever thought possible.
Be kind to little animals / whatever sort they be / and give a stranded jellyfish / a shove into the sea.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »

There's many aspects that have survived, or can be reconstructed, but personally the language touched me, that provides a means to tap into a lot of the other aspects.
Semper Fidelis

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;64771
There's many aspects that have survived, or can be reconstructed, but personally the language touched me, that provides a means to tap into a lot of the other aspects.
I would agree with that, because learning the Welsh language has really help me understand the culture so much more.

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »

I would definitely have to say the music and the art.

Tags: