Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Horses?  (Read 4645 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Horses?
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:12 am »
Anyone else own/work with horses?  I own a grade mare named Elly and would live in the saddle if I could. :)  Mostly do trail riding with an endurance flavour.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:20:48 am by RandallS »
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

HandsInTheDirtAgain

• View Profile
Re: Horses?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:49:59 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;62908
Anyone else own/work with horses?  I own a grade mare named Elly and would live in the saddle if I could. :)  Mostly do trail riding with an endurance flavour.

Old post but thought I'd bump it :)

I have four horses:

:dwink: Comet the grumpy mega cob

:eek: Jo, the manic welsh sec B

:thup: badger, the good guy coloured cob

:ninja: Mouse the ninja shetland.

I used to work with horses and worked in riding schools, event yards, racing yards and ran my own yard fora few years.
Competed a bit (unafilliated) and now just have my own.

Taught all my boys to ride, although only the eldest is really keen now, and enjoy trail riding for fun.... yup, gone from work rider on the gallops to happy hacker house wife :P

Anyone else have horses or ride?? :)

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:33 am »
Quote from: HandsInTheDirtAgain;129403
Old post but thought I'd bump it
Anyone else have horses or ride?? :)

I don't own any, but I am planning in helping a friend exercise his two this coming year. He's going to teach me how to shoe them as well.  We will do trail rides! They are both paint thoroughbred mixed, one 7 yr old gelding,  one 9yr old mare.
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:54:57 am »
Anyone else own/work with horses?  I own a grade mare named Elly and would live in the saddle if I could. :)  Mostly do trail riding with an endurance flavour.
I was raised on a horse farm here in Texas. We raised cutting horses. We did a lot of cow horse type stuff. I still ride from time to time. We mainly raised Quarter Horses.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:39:55 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;129420
I was raised on a horse farm here in Texas. We raised cutting horses. We did a lot of cow horse type stuff. I still ride from time to time. We mainly raised Quarter Horses.

I was an Equine Science major for a semester, and I rode stock horses while I was there, which was totally new to me! I love the precision trained in those horses, and I wouldn't complain if everyone trained a spur stop. lol. I also did a week "working ranch vacation," and we got to ride working cow horses. Loved it. Not show cutting, obviously, but we did sort cows and calves... one cow took off up the fence, and just for fun I went after it. My horse spun with the cow and nearly left me in the dirt. Such an awesome feeling when they lock on a cow like that!

But in my "regular" horse life I do nothing like that! ha. Saddle seat is my real love. I have been riding and showing since I was 6 or 7. My barn has Saddlebreds, Morgans, Friesians, and Hackney ponies.  I don't own a horse, but I'm fortunate to be able to work horses for my trainer.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:31:15 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;129458
I was an Equine Science major for a semester, and I rode stock horses while I was there, which was totally new to me! I love the precision trained in those horses, and I wouldn't complain if everyone trained a spur stop. lol. I also did a week "working ranch vacation," and we got to ride working cow horses. Loved it. Not show cutting, obviously, but we did sort cows and calves... one cow took off up the fence, and just for fun I went after it. My horse spun with the cow and nearly left me in the dirt. Such an awesome feeling when they lock on a cow like that!

But in my "regular" horse life I do nothing like that! ha. Saddle seat is my real love. I have been riding and showing since I was 6 or 7. My barn has Saddlebreds, Morgans, Friesians, and Hackney ponies.  I don't own a horse, but I'm fortunate to be able to work horses for my trainer.
Yeah once they lock in on a cow you just have to hang on, they do most of the work. You just get to enjoy the ride!!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

LittleLapSnake

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;129420
We mainly raised Quarter Horses.

I rolled into the horse business through my mother. We have "co-owned" horses my entire life. I now have a Quarter Horse mare, and we got a foal out of her who is now 1.5, for my mother to replace the quarter she lost almost three years ago.

Aerinfridh

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:39 am »

I have ridden off and on since my childhood.  I showed English and Dressage for many years.  Now I don't have a horse, but my son and I take lessons when we can.  The lesson barn we ride at does a lot of trail riding which I have really enjoyed.  We bought a 10 acre farm a few years ago.  My eventual goal is to have a horse again, but we need fencing and an out building first.

Tags: