collapse

Author Topic: Urban Fantasy for Anpu  (Read 2055 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Urban Fantasy for Anpu
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:35 am »
I want to write a story featuring Anpu as one of the main characters. I know what I want the other main character to be and be like, but I really don't know where to go from there. Any ideas for how I could go about this? I haven't gotten much more than a "oh really? sounds interesting" from Anpu Himself, so yeah, some human input would be much appreciated :3

plot bunnies are greatly appreciated, so are probing questions that would help my brain form its own ideas. if anyone has every written a story involving a god, I would appreciate a sample or perhaps a suggestion from their experience. please and thank you :D
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Fantasy for Anpu
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:39 pm »
The very setting of an urban fantasy would suggest that there's this mundane, cosmopolitan world... and then there's this crazy, crazy, crazy-in-your-face-all-the-time world. Urbanites don't fully comprehend the phant'sy, the phantoms don't fully connect with the urbanites.

A situation like that, usually calls for an arbiter, some guardian between the worlds who sets the rules: if the denizens are hiding, and why; treaties, penalties for breaking it.

Such rules have reinforcers. Enter Anpu. Judge? Assassin? Or just a guardian/watcher? And basically let there be an equivalent of a civil war, and an equivalent of an invasion, happening at the same time.

When I write gods as gods... they're sure to have a check-and-balance with other godly characters, or they're kept to a come-and-go mysteriously mentor/helper/healer position, or a one time big time thing, or their powers are limited if not stripped from them completely (so then they can have a bigger part in the story,) or their personality traits and energy don't necessarily always serve them well in the situation I write them into... All this just because I figured, narrative ought to have color and conflict. And only one character being a god, the main character at that? Perhaps a great way to honor one's patron, but I see a big risk of it becoming quite a bore-- if the story's all only going to be about how awesome the main character always is. Are you comfortable with writing a god (who you've conversed with) as having difficulty solving some problem? Because that's what I call a story. But I won't even do that with human people I care about because they have gotten offended at being written about like that.

So I'd also consider an option of, making an original flawed main character, and then making that character a namesake of a god rather than an actual god? But it's your call, of course.

My influences: Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light (Buddha is the main character, but it's a steampunk war against the Hindu pantheon,) Neil Gaiman's Odd and the Frost Giants (Norse mythology, plucky crippled human helps temporarily disadvantaged deities), and Ever (a fictional pantheon, with the main character, a wind god Olus, falling in love with a human sacrifice to another god. The human sacrifice ascends to goddesshood, herself.) And Princess Mononoke.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:31:17 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »
Quote from: triple_entendre;62650
The very setting of an urban fantasy would suggest that there's this mundane, cosmopolitan world... and then there's this crazy, crazy, crazy-in-your-face-all-the-time world. Urbanites don't fully comprehend the phant'sy, the phantoms don't fully connect with the urbanites.

A situation like that, usually calls for an arbiter, some guardian between the worlds who sets the rules: if the denizens are hiding, and why; treaties, penalties for breaking it.

Such rules have reinforcers. Enter Anpu. Judge? Assassin? Or just a guardian/watcher?

When I write gods as gods... they're sure to have a check-and-balance with other godly characters, or they're kept to a come-and-go mysteriously mentor/helper/healer position, or a one time big time thing, or their powers are limited if not stripped from them completely (so then they can have a bigger part in the story,) or their personality traits and energy don't necessarily always serve them well in the situation I write them into... All this just because I figured, narrative ought to have color and conflict. And only character being a god, the main character at that? Perhaps a great way to honor one's patron, but I see a big risk of it becoming quite a boring story-- if it's all only going to be about how awesome the main character always is. Are you comfortable with writing a god as having difficulty solving some problem? Because that's what I call a story.

There's also an option of, making an original flawed main character, and then making that character a namesake of a god rather than an actual god.

My influences: Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light (Buddha is the main character, but it's a steampunk war against the Hindu pantheon,) Neil Gaiman's Odd and the Frost Giants (Norse mythology, plucky crippled human helps temporarily disadvantaged deities), and Ever (a fictional pantheon, with the main character, a wind god Olus, falling in love with a human sacrifice to another god. The human sacrifice ascends to goddesshood, herself.)

He's one of the main characters, not the main character. The main character is going to be one of His people. I'm willing to make a character worth interacting with, I don't think Anpu would be offended. I'm thinking perhaps He won't have as much sway over the situation(s) as He wants or she wants. I think I want some inter-pantheon interaction too. You've got my brain moving now :3 Not to mention, I think we see in plenty of myths that gods have problems to solve too ya know? I mean, even YHWH had problems, though it was cuz of human's shortcomings as opposed to any perceived problems on His part. Thanks for the input, I may read one of those suggested stories you gave me too ^_^

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:59 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;62611
I want to write a story featuring Anpu as one of the main characters. I know what I want the other main character to be and be like, but I really don't know where to go from there. Any ideas for how I could go about this? I haven't gotten much more than a "oh really? sounds interesting" from Anpu Himself, so yeah, some human input would be much appreciated :3

plot bunnies are greatly appreciated, so are probing questions that would help my brain form its own ideas. if anyone has every written a story involving a god, I would appreciate a sample or perhaps a suggestion from their experience. please and thank you :D

Something that really annoys me is when gods don't "sound like" gods. When a character is talking to someone who is Really Old, I don't generally expect them to talk like a modern teenager. I think it takes a certain kind of author to make that sort of thing believable. If you want an easy way to make Anpu's speech sound a little more archaic, I'd recommend not using contractions. It might sound a little awkward at first, but for me personally, it lends itself well to the feeling that the being a character is talking to is Old.

Of course, I'm assuming that if a deity has had enough time to interact with humans, they'd manage to pick up some slang, but I guess I've read too many urban fantasies where Really Old and Powerful Beings sound more like whiny teenagers.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;62658
Something that really annoys me is when gods don't "sound like" gods. When a character is talking to someone who is Really Old, I don't generally expect them to talk like a modern teenager. I think it takes a certain kind of author to make that sort of thing believable. If you want an easy way to make Anpu's speech sound a little more archaic, I'd recommend not using contractions. It might sound a little awkward at first, but for me personally, it lends itself well to the feeling that the being a character is talking to is Old.

Of course, I'm assuming that if a deity has had enough time to interact with humans, they'd manage to pick up some slang, but I guess I've read too many urban fantasies where Really Old and Powerful Beings sound more like whiny teenagers.

The opposite bugs me more, personally. But of course you know they're old and powerful, because they refuse to use contractions. ;) Yeah, always a hit-and-miss with the audience.

Revisiting the setting, AR, there are different urban fantasy setups than Keep Up The Masquerade. Some others, it's like cyberpunk or steampunk-- an alternate future or history where the urban just naturally developed to intertwine with fantasy -- and everybody is in the general know it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:49:56 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:34:41 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;62658

I'll keep that in mind. No teenageritis :)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:37 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;62688
The opposite bugs me more, personally. But of course you know they're old and powerful, because they refuse to use contractions. ;) Yeah, always a hit-and-miss with the audience.

Revisiting the setting, AR, there are different urban fantasy setups than Keep Up The Masquerade. Some others, it's like cyberpunk or steampunk-- an alternate future or history where the urban just naturally developed to intertwine with fantasy -- and everybody is in the general know it.

I was thinking something similar. I'm not entirely sure about the setting yet, but I feel like it would work a bit better if magic and other fantasy type stuff wasn't completely hidden from the general populace. I was thinking the main character, I'll come up with a name soon, just know she's a female, could be a necromancer or something working for the police. She has an off and on relationship with a werewolf (kind of an obsession for me XD) or some other such thing who could help her. And of course there's Anpu, who doesn't usually intervene but likes to talk or help her think things through. He will help her out, sometimes going to get information from other gods for particularly nasty situations or something.

Tags: