"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans and Pagans: Practical Guidance for Sharing Your Path  (Read 3348 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
{alt}
Title: A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans and Pagans: Practical Guidance for Sharing Your Path
Author(s): Thea Sabin
Published 2012 by Llewellyn
ISBN: 0738727105
ISBN-13: 978-0738727103
Paperback, 309 pages
List: $16.95
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

It has been a number of years since  I have read any of Thea's writings.  In fact, it had been so long that, when I saw a quote from my review of her previous work, I had to go back and reread that review.  As I delved into this latest work, my original opinion seems to have been more than borne out.  I was impressed  by her practicality at the time, and I am even more impressed by it at this time.  If there is one thing sadly lacking in the field of Pagan education (after discounting the lack of uniformity) it is common sense.  Thea supplies that in abundance.

This is a collaborative effort.  Ms Sabin approached numerous teachers of Pagan topics - those who teach in-person; those who teach online; those who have been teaching for years; and those who are just starting out as teachers - on a variety of approaches, techniques and pitfalls.  You know those things which are "needless to say...", she says them because since everyone knows them, we often forget to include them in our thinking and preparations.  You know the kind of disaster I mean - you have all your media on a flash drive, but when you arrive at the location you discover that the files have been corrupted (or even worse, you grabbed the wrong flash drive)...how do you recover?  Or you have that one student who seems bound and determined to wrest control of the class away from you...how do you deal with the situation?

One thing you have to give Ms Sabin is that she is thorough.  She doesn't overwhelm the reader, but she also doesn't over-simplify things.  She explores topics in depth and from a variety of angles. She includes personal anecdotes (both hers and others) to help the reader understand the point.  She makes her point, and then reinforces it just enough to make sure it stays with the reader.

Throughout this book you get the feeling that she has been there and encountered that, regardless what "this" and "that" mean in any particular instance.  She explains the benefits and pitfalls which await on the path of teaching.  Then, just to make it all seem a little easier, she provides (in the appendices) a large selection of screening q        uestions as a source of guidance for helping you avoid those students who just won't be a good fit for your group or style of teaching and a couple of sample syllabuses showing how to plan your classes.  Naturally, she provides a listing of resources to help your own growth as a teacher - in a variety of formats from print to video classes and blogs.  It is all wrapped up by a short bio of each of those individuals who contributed their own points of view and suggestions.

If you plan to teach classes on Paganism and/or Wicca; if you plan to run a group; if you want to work on interfaith groups, this is a book which will serve you well.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: