Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Silver Wheel Anthology 3  (Read 2343 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Silver Wheel Anthology 3
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:34 am »
{alt}
Title: Silver Wheel Anthology 3
Author(s): Anna Franklin
Published 2012 by Lear Books
ISBN: B00550OYIO
ISBN-13: 978-1907614095
Paperback, 258 pages/Kindle
List: £14.95
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

One thing I really like about the Silver Wheel Anthology series is the diversity and breadth of the articles which appear in each one of them.  You don't need to check out the topics before you decide to spend your hard earned money.  You can be sure that what arrives in your mailbox will be worth far more than you paid.

The first three articles in this volume cover the legal recognition of Druidry as a religion in the UK, a 19th Century Irish "witch", and the Bogeyman.  If that isn't a wide enough rang of topics to satisfy almost anyone's interest, I don't know what is.  Beyond those three articles, the topics range even mor widely, if that is possible.

The authors range from very public figures (Nigel Pennick, author of over fifty published books) to local "names" (Daniel B. Griffith, Summoner of a small independent group on the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire border), to the last person initiated by Alex Sanders; once again demonstrating a breadth of knowledge which is difficult to find elsewhere.

I have never failed to be impressed  by the material contained in these anthologies.  Even after four decades of involvement with the Pagan movement, I find myself learning something new, or being inspired to research some topic I had not considered before.  There are always unexpected gems within the covers of these books.

This year I encountered ruminations on the relationship between the "legends" of Sherwood Forest and the "mythology" of King Arthur; the relationship between shamanism, the use of cauldrons, and worldwide divinity; and a few simple rituals.

I do have one warning, however.  If you are uncomfortable having preconceptions challenged, or if you are used to reading "lightweight" books, you might want to reconsider purchasing this one.  You need to be open minded and willing to do the work to understand things which may well be out of your comfort zone.

Without doubt, this is one series of books which deserves to be recommended to all members of the Pagan community.  There is knowledge enough for everyone and inspiration for all.  No matter what your level of experience, you WILL find something here.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Special Notes: The Amazon link is to the Kindle edition. The paperback version seems to only be available direct from the publisher. The Kindle edition is $2.99.[/size]

[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: