Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Gwyn ap Nudd  (Read 2205 times)

Sereyn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Gwyn ap Nudd
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:36 am »
Hi everyone :)

I'm very interested in the Welsh God, Gwyn ap Nudd, and have been researching into him. Although I find he is quite difficult to find much information on. I would like to get to know him more personally, and give him some offerings and such but I'm not sure what to offer? Really I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with him? I would love to hear any :)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gwyn ap Nudd
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:00:52 am »
Quote from: Sereyn;62353
Hi everyone :)

I'm very interested in the Welsh God, Gwyn ap Nudd, and have been researching into him. Although I find he is quite difficult to find much information on. I would like to get to know him more personally, and give him some offerings and such but I'm not sure what to offer? Really I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with him? I would love to hear any :)

Reviving this thread to see if anybody has any info. I'm researching the Welsh gods at the moment, and from what I've read, I like Gwyn. Was wondering if anybody works with him or if he has analogs in other Celtic traditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:31 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201726
Reviving this thread to see if anybody has any info. I'm researching the Welsh gods at the moment, and from what I've read, I like Gwyn. Was wondering if anybody works with him or if he has analogs in other Celtic traditions?

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/gwyn.html The entry at Mary Jones' Celtic  Encyclopedia suggests he might be linked to  Fionn macCumhil in Irish lore. I don't work with him, but I wish you good luck on working with him.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:16:16 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201726

This might interest you then:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GWYN-Ancient-God-Glastonbury-Zodiac-x/dp/0955597013/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485161846&sr=1-1&keywords=gwyn++yuri

You'll need to sift out a lot of the "Glastonbury effect" from this but Yuri has done a good job of rounding up all the references to Gwyn ap Nudd in the lore and he draws some interesting conclusions from the data ( some make sense to me, some don't)

I do of course take issue that the encounter with St Collen takes place on Glastonbury Tor!  Llangollen has a similar legend with the encounter taking place on Castell Dinas Bran. This makes much more sense (linguistically as well) than randomly attaching him to Glastonbury.

I find Gwyn ap Nudd a delight to work with (most of the time that is....)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;201730
This might interest you then:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GWYN-Ancient-God-Glastonbury-Zodiac-x/dp/0955597013/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485161846&sr=1-1&keywords=gwyn++yuri

You'll need to sift out a lot of the "Glastonbury effect" from this but Yuri has done a good job of rounding up all the references to Gwyn ap Nudd in the lore and he draws some interesting conclusions from the data ( some make sense to me, some don't)

I do of course take issue that the encounter with St Collen takes place on Glastonbury Tor!  Llangollen has a similar legend with the encounter taking place on Castell Dinas Bran. This makes much more sense (linguistically as well) than randomly attaching him to Glastonbury.

I find Gwyn ap Nudd a delight to work with (most of the time that is....)

That does look interesting. I saw something (on Wikipedia?) about Gwyn ap Nudd being associated with Glastonbury and figured that was more modern since it's... not in Wales. But I'd still be interested in knowing why the association happened.

Gwyn ap Nudd really appeals to me. I live on a heavily-forested island, so working with a deity connected to the forest is something I've wanted to do for a long time. He and Llyr and Brigid and Cerridwen (who thwapped me last summer, though I've been slacking on doing anything about that) will I think be important in my practice. I think. This is all still hazy.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;201779
That does look interesting. I saw something (on Wikipedia?) about Gwyn ap Nudd being associated with Glastonbury and figured that was more modern since it's... not in Wales. But I'd still be interested in knowing why the association happened.

Gwyn ap Nudd really appeals to me. I live on a heavily-forested island, so working with a deity connected to the forest is something I've wanted to do for a long time. He and Llyr and Brigid and Cerridwen (who thwapped me last summer, though I've been slacking on doing anything about that) will I think be important in my practice. I think. This is all still hazy.

Gwyn ap Nudd can be capricious, he will test you to start with.

I'm not sure how Glastonbury managed to get entangled in the story but that's Glastonbury for you! There are definite similarities between the Tor and the Castell in that both are distinct mounds  but the Castell has a ruined castle (palace?) on top. I've only found the link with Llangollen in an old book of Welsh folk tales which I picked up in a second hand book shop years ago. I'm not sure there is an online source.  As there is another site nearby linked with Gwyn ap Nudd it just makes far more sense to me.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 129
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal