45 (16.5%)
es, Outside my shirt
61 (22.3%)
o
33 (12.1%)
 wear a different symbol
134 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Wearing your Pentacle in public?  (Read 41188 times)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Wearing your Pentacle in public?
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:06 am »
Quote from: OtakuJolyn;4019
How many of you have and wear a Pentacle in public

For me, it depends on the situation. I'd never wear it out publicly at work, so it hides under my shirt. If I'm just out shopping or something, I prefer wearing it out. I also wear a small silver feather and a silver ankh, and those are out too, or under my shirt if I'm at work.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 04:44:01 pm »

I don't consider myself Wiccan and don't find enough meaning in the pentacle for me to wear it although I wouldn't mind self-identifying myself with a symbol, if it was the right symbol.

As far as jewelry goes, I have several gemstones to wear and I have a Tree of Life pendant that I like but since I'm not quite so nature-oriented as I like to believe I am---but I'm getting a new pendant of a crescent moon and dreamcatcher that I'm excited about; although I'd also like a labyrinth charm and spirit animal one too.

Nycteris

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
How many of you have and wear a Pentacle in public?

I wear my downward pentacle every day, its a constant reminder to the oath I took,
After I blessed it it felt really heavy but not in a necessarily unpleasant way. Other symbols I like to wear on me are Samael's seal in enochian (usually in papyrus ink on my arm with paint sealant on it) as I have a strange sort of connection with this particular Daemon (or Fallen, God or angel or whatever of the many roles he fulfilled in many different lores in different cultures you prefer :p)

Stephie1752

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

So when I decided to start back up with Wicca/Paganism, I wanted something that would be a constant reminder to myself that I have chosen this path. And I found a perfect little Pentacle necklace, it's about 1". :)
The cord I currently have brings the pentacle about halfway between my collarbone and breastbone. So when I wear certain shirts, it's visible...
But, I feel that when i wear my necklace in public, people treat me different, or, as soon as they see that necklace they are apprehensive of me?
For a time it bugged me, and I stopped wearing the necklace, which made me start lacking in my religion, big time. :mad:
So now I wear it again, and now I am getting the feeling people are feeling weird near me again.
Your thoughts? Thanks :D
I have a pentacle tattoo on my right ankle so in the summer I do wear it in public. I have a couple of pentacle jewelry items that I wear on occasion but if I wear them to work, I have to put them on long chains- cant have anything dangling outside of my scrubs..

Abgeneth

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

I voted yes, inside my shirt, although I don't have a pentacle at the moment. This isn't due to a choice I made but because I couldn't find a pendant that appealed to me for some years now. If I found one I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in public, even if it could slip out of my shirt. People feel uncomfortable around me all the time because of my low social skills, so it wouldn't make a big difference in this regard and may be a chance to explain things :)

BB
Abgeneth

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »
Quote from: Abgeneth;70224
I voted yes, inside my shirt, although I don't have a pentacle at the moment. This isn't due to a choice I made but because I couldn't find a pendant that appealed to me for some years now. If I found one I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in public, even if it could slip out of my shirt. People feel uncomfortable around me all the time because of my low social skills, so it wouldn't make a big difference in this regard and may be a chance to explain things :)

BB
Abgeneth

The pentacle I do wear is visible, even at work.  Very few people notice it, and if they do, they acknowledge it with a wink and a 'blessed be.'  
One customer did ask if it was a Star of David.  I explained what it was, he asked if it was Wiccan; I took the opportunity to explain its Wiccan and Christian usages.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

ferretowner96

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Wearing your Pentacle in public?
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »

So when I decided to start back up with Wicca/Paganism, I wanted something that would be a constant reminder to myself that I have chosen this path. And I found a perfect little Pentacle necklace, it's about 1". :)
The cord I currently have brings the pentacle about halfway between my collarbone and breastbone. So when I wear certain shirts, it's visible...
But, I feel that when i wear my necklace in public, people treat me different, or, as soon as they see that necklace they are apprehensive of me?
For a time it bugged me, and I stopped wearing the necklace, which made me start lacking in my religion, big time. :mad:
So now I wear it again, and now I am getting the feeling people are feeling weird near me again.

I wear a pentacle all the time. I never take it off. I was planning on getting a more decorative one but I have one that is very heavy duty as well as the chain. It hasnt rusted and suits the purpouse for me. I do have another which i keep on my altar which is the one with the moon. The plain one I got from a Army surplus store. I keep it hidden as much as I can as I am not wearing it for jewlery. I am wearing it as a constant reminder of the path I have chosen.

Rick

Charlie Dee

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »

I wear a ring and a leather bracelet. I used to have a necklace before the bracelet with a ruby at each point but one fell out and I've yet to get it fixed

Abgeneth

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2012, 03:05:17 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;70226

One customer did ask if it was a Star of David.

Really? I can top this, I think :hdsk:

There was one guy who asked me, why I was wearing a NATO symbol. Sic. He didn't mean that as a joke.

But it is really nice to see that many people aren't afraid of showing their pentacles and don't have to be afraid either :)

BB

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:01 am »
Quote from: Abgeneth;70313
There was one guy who asked me, why I was wearing a NATO symbol. Sic. He didn't mean that as a joke.

Huh.  To me, the NATO symbol looks a lot more like a Brighid's cross than a pentacle.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

I voted yes, outside the shirt but I don't wear a necklace. I have a pentacle ring that I wear.

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

I wear mine all the time...both inside and outside my shirt (it bounces everywhere when I walk). I also wear the Star of Ishtar, though not as frequently as I used to, because it was damaged when condensation gathered under the glass.

I've been asked if it was a Star of David too.
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »

I like being able to wear a symbol of my faith and have it be seen by everyone as little more than a badass-looking necklace.

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:32 pm »

I wasn't able to vote because it honestly depends. If I am just going out and don't expect to see anyone that I personally know (and I know that they would be very upset if they saw it) then I will wear it outside of my shirt. But if I expect to see someone then I just tuck it in since mine has a very long cord that lets it hang between where my ribs end and my belly button is ( so it is fairly long).

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »

I wear mine in public all the time, on a short cord just below my collarbone. It is a small silver pentacle, about 3/4", and I do wear it outside my shirt. Maybe it is because I live near Toronto and people are pretty open-minded, or because I'm a guy, or because I just don't care, but I never have trouble.

Tags: