Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: This is a Girl Post  (Read 14498 times)

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: This is a Girl Post
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2016, 12:17:16 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;61219
The title is there because I'm about to talk about menstruation. If you are not comfortable with this... you've been warned.

So, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed or asked about in various ways already, but I don't think on this site because my searches yielded nothing. I was just wondering if anybody has ever used their menstrual blood as an offering? I've seen it talked about on other sites and am curious about it... just wondering what everyone thinks.

Why would you offer your dead eggs to gods??? :confused:

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2016, 12:25:13 pm »
Quote from: Lilirin;190153

While i don't offer my menstrual blood to gods, I do give it to the land spirits in the form of fertilizer. It is chock full of nutrients
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;190154
While i don't offer my menstrual blood to gods, I do give it to the land spirits in the form of fertilizer. It is chock full of nutrients

I could see maybe to fertility gods or whatnot or in fertility rituals. But in general...? I would think not.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2016, 12:32:13 pm »
Quote from: Lilirin;190155
I could see maybe to fertility gods or whatnot or in fertility rituals. But in general...? I would think not.

Pretty sure it depends on the relationship between the person offering and the god they are offering it to
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 12:39:20 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;190156
Pretty sure it depends on the relationship between the person offering and the god they are offering it to

Probably, but that has nothing to do with "Why?", for me. They're asking if they should, so I specifically asked "Why" to the OP. I understand your answer as a general answer, but this is not who I was asking.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
Quote from: Lilirin;190158
Probably, but that has nothing to do with "Why?", for me. They're asking if they should, so I specifically asked "Why" to the OP. I understand your answer as a general answer, but this is not who I was asking.

sometimes the why is "because my god wants me to" though

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2016, 01:06:11 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;190159
sometimes the why is "because my god wants me to" though

I understand that. I am asking sunflower47 for their opinion/experiences.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
Quote from: Lilirin;190161

Good luck with that. They haven't been here for the best part of three years

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;190150
I haven't used my menstrual blood in offerings to deities, however I have used it as body paint (right before the shower, I marked my body with blood as gratitude for continued non-pregnancy).

Along those lines, I could see menstrual blood being used as in other gratitude spells for period related things:  easing of cramps, regular periods, non-pregnancy, general monthly health gratitude.

I would think that any deity who had ties or dealt with menstruation would accept an offering of one's own menstrual blood.

On the flip side, I could also see making an offering or using menstrual blood in a ritual to promote pregnancy or other fertility related rites.  Much in the way one might burn a representation of a thing they want to be rid of, the blood could be seen as being offered up in exchange for becoming pregnant.

Very cool.  As a non-menstruator-by-default I can only view this topic from the POV of an outside observer.  Thanks for offering your perspective.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:22:01 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2016, 03:34:11 am »
Quote from: Lilirin;190161

On top of what Jake said, i'm gonna point out that you asked a general question and...it makes sense that people who are not the OP would respond.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 05:19:02 am »
Quote from: sunflower47;61219
thread snip
I don't really much of a dog in this fight. Nevertheless, I'm opinionated and nosy.

I would like to opine that it does depend on what perspective and practice you are coming from. The Hellenistic perspective is that anything pertaining to birth and death opens up a space, object, or person contact with the underworld. This is seen as spiritually polluting those exposed, a concept called miasma. It would not make a suitable offering to the gods, because it's not like regular blood flowing in your veins. It is directly related to the process of gestation and birth.

But, that's just one way of going about it. And is more of a general, cultural rule. Once you get into a personal relationship with a deity, who may or may not provide more direct communication, things get wacky.

I'll echo the sentiment that in witchcraft or magic, almost all bets are off as to what's useful or not.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:20:52 am by Louisvillian »

suzker

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2016, 08:11:13 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;193437
I would like to opine that it does depend on what perspective and practice you are coming from. The Hellenistic perspective is that anything pertaining to birth and death opens up a space, object, or person contact with the underworld. This is seen as spiritually polluting those exposed, a concept called miasma. It would not make a suitable offering to the gods, because it's not like regular blood flowing in your veins. It is directly related to the process of gestation and birth.

Curious. I was always under the impression that miasma is vaguely similar to karma. The Greeks, well the ancient Greeks, maintain that it is a 'power' that takes on a life of its own brought into existence by foul deeds. Unjust murder for example could and did stain entire bloodlines.

Because if miasma really was associated with death & other such things then why did Greeks routinely sacrifice animals to the gods, including at one point in time fellow men? In that sense they were not that dissimilar to Romans.

There's also the fact that nearby, Sicily, well menstrual blood has old folk ties still passed along. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if you ventured into the far reaches of Greece the same is to be found there.

More the concept of miasma is "unclean". The gods are clean and if you are not likewise clean you are just simply disrespectful.

In this sense, from a non modern, non religious based mindset the fact that you forget to clean under your fingernails after gardening on the furthest day from menstrual cycle means one can't even touch a Hellenistic alter. Again disrespectful.

And that's the thing. Above and the concept of menstrual blood being a “waste” is just so modern and so utterly religiously based. I wonder how many know that numerous older cultures maintain man was made of that “waste” by the gods themselves. Never heard of moon blood/flow? And in that sense what does that say of man then?

There’s lots of uses to menstrual blood. Mostly folk religion / magic based.

However, in relation to here:
Quote from: Lilirin;190155

I am wondering if Lilirin is aware that numerous people [gardeners and hobby farmers] use blood-meal on their land? The nutrients are like throwing open the doors to a buffet and telling the earth 'stuff yourself, it is all free'. Menstrual blood is chock-full with nutrients and very useful in the same sense.

There are, then, numerous nature associated gods [no, not just land spirits as there's numerous gods specifically for good crops & good harvests & healthy animals] if one has the proper connection with that'll reward you for that 'free gift'.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2016, 03:48:22 am »
I know that this person is currently banned. My responses are for the community as a whole, as my two cents in response to the points brought up by said person.

Quote from: suzker;193442
The Greeks, well the ancient Greeks, maintain that it is a 'power' that takes on a life of its own brought into existence by foul deeds. Unjust murder for example could and did stain entire bloodlines.

That is true, but primarily because the "foulness" is magnified by the enormity of certain deeds. Murder is particularly befouling because it is the killing of a fellow human being; the creation of that unclean passage to Hades' hall isn't just something you've idly stumbled by, it's something you participated in.

Because if miasma really was associated with death & other such things then why did Greeks routinely sacrifice animals to the gods, including at one point in time fellow men?

It's one of those things that seem paradoxical to a modern Westerner, based on our modern standards and knowledge of animal welfare and animal intelligence and behaviour. Largely, the Greeks and Romans and other people in that time period simply did not see the killing of animals as incurring miasma, because animals (in their worldview) didn't have souls like people do. Their deaths didn't open up a channel to the Underworld, so their deaths were pure and clean, and likewise their blood could purify and cleanse.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2016, 02:06:41 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;190150
I haven't used my menstrual blood in offerings to deities, however I have used it as body paint (right before the shower, I marked my body with blood as gratitude for continued non-pregnancy).

Along those lines, I could see menstrual blood being used as in other gratitude spells for period related things:  easing of cramps, regular periods, non-pregnancy, general monthly health gratitude.

I would think that any deity who had ties or dealt with menstruation would accept an offering of one's own menstrual blood.

On the flip side, I could also see making an offering or using menstrual blood in a ritual to promote pregnancy or other fertility related rites.  Much in the way one might burn a representation of a thing they want to be rid of, the blood could be seen as being offered up in exchange for becoming pregnant.

I use my menstrual blood to consecrate objects I use to work the female mysteries. Having  now reached the age when it has become a rare and finite resource though I have a supply dried for future use if necessary!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 06:04:19 pm »
Quote from: Lilirin;190153

While I never have, it's pretty common to offer dead unfertilized chicken eggs to gods and/or include them on altars, which makes me think that the difference between human menstrual products and chicken menstrual products is basically that we're grossed out by one and not the other, not some real fundamental difference in what it is/where it comes from. I mean, chicken eggs come out of what is essentially a shared vagina/anus, so if anything the origin is MORE icky than menstrual blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: