collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Nordic/Dutch/Germanic Music  (Read 2064 times)

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Nordic/Dutch/Germanic Music
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
Hi guys so I have been looking for some heathen music on the internet and so far all I keep running into is rock/metal bands. Does anyone know of any folk music that is more soothing, sort of like Julie Fowlis and her Scottish Gaelic music.

It doesn't have to mention the Gods just looking for something to listen to.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Nordic/Dutch/Germanic Music
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;61107
Hi guys so I have been looking for some heathen music on the internet and so far all I keep running into is rock/metal bands. Does anyone know of any folk music that is more soothing, sort of like Julie Fowlis and her Scottish Gaelic music.

Not Heathen, but one picks up some things after living in Minnesota for 12 years.

Ruth MacKenzie's Kalevala: Dream of the Salmon Maiden (truly awesome CD)

Wizard Women of the North

The various Nordic Roots CDs (http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Roots-Northside-Various-Artists/dp/B000007TUD/ref=pd_sim_m_2 gives you one of them: there's four or five compilations out there, I think - you may have to do some hunting for the CDs, but the artist names will give you some other things to search for.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

schwertlilie

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »

Maybe a little fast for what you`re thinking of, but what popped into my mind are Sava and Faun. Both German bands, is neo-folk and "Paganfolk"/folk-with-some-darkwave. I don't know for sure if either band is heathen, but Faun's work includes lots of German & Norse pagan references - for example, is based on part of an Icelandic saga: Egil visits a house to find a woman sick, he diagnoses that someone tried to cast a love spell on her, but wrote the runes wrong and made her sick instead.

I'm also a fan of (and its electro-medieval spin-off, , from their third album and after), but they're based more on medieval texts and the Carmina Burana than Germanic/Norse myth.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
Does anyone know of any folk music that is more soothing, sort of like Julie Fowlis and her Scottish Gaelic music.

I like Kari Tauring, especially her Völva Songs album.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »

I highly recommend Wardruna as well. Heathen band playing mostly traditional instruments and lots of... basically runic chanting. Check it out for yourself. They're awesome :)

Zythan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:28 pm »

I'm a fan of Eluveitie, but they're mostly folk metal. A friend of mine recommended me The Moon and the Nightspirit, a Hungarian folk music duo that focus on Pagan fairytales. A lot of their music is medieval style, I really enjoy it.

I also second the recommendation for Faun, they're a great band.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;61152
I highly recommend Wardruna as well. Heathen band playing mostly traditional instruments and lots of... basically runic chanting. Check it out for yourself. They're awesome :)

Thank you everyone for the help :) I have found several I like

Tags: