Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Third eye anxiety.  (Read 3569 times)

r2squared

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Third eye anxiety.
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:48:12 am »
As I'm growing in the craft and learn more about the universe and myself each day, I'm coming across certain concepts I may have either ignored or just didn't see from the past. Concepts like astral travel, meditation, general psychic abilities, and the third eye in particular.

I already know my way to try to make it stronger, or "open it", if you will. My issue is not technique. It's fear. I'm sort of...terrified, of seeing things I'm not used to. Ghosts, for example.

When I was a young lad, I lived in an apartment complex that was, well, not exactly the brightest part of town. For  a while I used to see terrible things, be they ghosts/spirits, demons, or just my imagination, they were extremely frightening, and my mother and father always told me there was nothing there. To this day I'm still terrified of the dark and though I believe and understand the idea of ghost or spirits, the thought of actually seeing one (especially a recently deceased one) simply petrifies my core.

So for my whole life I sort repressed my third eye, if you will. Now that I am starting to learn how opening it could be beneficial, I want to try to harness it, but a part of me still has that childhood fear. My issue is getting over it. Does anyone have any advice to help me overcome this now irrational fear?

ryman19

• View Profile
Re: Third eye anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Quote from: r2squared;3916
As I'm growing in the craft and learn more about the universe and myself each day, I'm coming across certain concepts I may have either ignored or just didn't see from the past. Concepts like astral travel, meditation, general psychic abilities, and the third eye in particular.

I already know my way to try to make it stronger, or "open it", if you will. My issue is not technique. It's fear. I'm sort of...terrified, of seeing things I'm not used to. Ghosts, for example.

When I was a young lad, I lived in an apartment complex that was, well, not exactly the brightest part of town. For  a while I used to see terrible things, be they ghosts/spirits, demons, or just my imagination, they were extremely frightening, and my mother and father always told me there was nothing there. To this day I'm still terrified of the dark and though I believe and understand the idea of ghost or spirits, the thought of actually seeing one (especially a recently deceased one) simply petrifies my core.

i never personally had a fear of ghosts or spirits and when i started working with them i just accepted them into my life and now they are very interactive with me. my suggestion though would be to take it slowly meditate on meeting one spirit or entity at a time and just talk or interact with it. slowly immerse yourself into working with them until your fear of them goes away

r2squared

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:55:05 pm »
Quote from: ryman19;4636
i never personally had a fear of ghosts or spirits and when i started working with them i just accepted them into my life and now they are very interactive with me. my suggestion though would be to take it slowly meditate on meeting one spirit or entity at a time and just talk or interact with it. slowly immerse yourself into working with them until your fear of them goes away

My fear is not just seeing ghost, but seeing negative entities as well. It terrifies me, like I'm still afraid of the dark. >.<

starlilica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://polytheist-witch.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:49:37 am »
Quote from: r2squared;5062
My fear is not just seeing ghost, but seeing negative entities as well. It terrifies me, like I'm still afraid of the dark. >.<

I have the same fear. I am working on opening myself up as well, and it's scary. Just last night I saw all sorts of shadows walking the house. But at the same time I think fear closes one up. Also, I  have been often told that the more one thinks about negative entities, the more they will be attracted to one. I can't verify that, however.

I can't tell you how to overcome your fear. I can't quite overcome mine either, but I suppose we should remember that not every entity is negative, and I believe that negative ones are few and far between.

But there are steps you can take to protect yourself. Spells or witch bottles, build relationships with deities or spirit guides through prayer and meditation, learn to ground and shield. These are just ideas, and by no means take my word as law because I am also a beginner, but these all seem like good ideas to me.

I hope this gives you comfort and confidence. Let's just tell ourselves that we can overcome this!

Rahni

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »
Quote from: starlilica;5074
I have the same fear. I am working on opening myself up as well, and it's scary. Just last night I saw all sorts of shadows walking the house. But at the same time I think fear closes one up. Also, I  have been often told that the more one thinks about negative entities, the more they will be attracted to one. I can't verify that, however.

I can't tell you how to overcome your fear. I can't quite overcome mine either, but I suppose we should remember that not every entity is negative, and I believe that negative ones are few and far between.

But there are steps you can take to protect yourself. Spells or witch bottles, build relationships with deities or spirit guides through prayer and meditation, learn to ground and shield. These are just ideas, and by no means take my word as law because I am also a beginner, but these all seem like good ideas to me.

I hope this gives you comfort and confidence. Let's just tell ourselves that we can overcome this!

How do you 'open' your third eye?

Whitedeer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:46 pm »

So for my whole life I sort repressed my third eye, if you will. Now that I am starting to learn how opening it could be beneficial, I want to try to harness it, but a part of me still has that childhood fear. My issue is getting over it. Does anyone have any advice to help me overcome this now irrational fear?

There is a lot that can go wrong with this sort of thing in my experience, but, it seems as if you know this and you really want to expand your spiritual horizons. These fears are legitimate, don't downplay them! But at the same time, think of what you could gain by opening your third eye and exploring (if you need to, write down the pro's and con's and see if the good really does outweigh the bad)

There is a lot of literature out there that can help you ward while meditating, and take a few more precautions while doing any sort of astral projection (something I never really found useful but many, many do) in the end, you need to make the decision, but do what you think is best for you :).
- Orifiel "Ori" Whitedeer

puppydangerous

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »
Becoming aware of things on different planes can be scary, but there are  couple things to remember-

1. these things have always been there, it's just that you couldn't see them. Yes, when they realize you are aware you may start to get some interaction, but it's really just like turning on the light in a dark room.

2. Learning magic gives you power that can influence these things. Being aware of them means that you can do something about them- you can keep them away from the places you are, you can combat them directly, and you can communicate with them.

Learn to protect yourself, work within a circle and learn banishing spells. Use old magic- protective amulets, energy-absorbing items and plants- to protect your area.

Then you can work on becoming aware of these things in a safe way.

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
Concepts like astral travel, meditation, general psychic abilities, and the third eye in particular.

Are you familiar with shielding and other forms of psychic self defense? If you want to open yourself up to the spirit world, then that is something you'll need to familiarize yourself in and become proficient at. That way, you'll be able to face what's out there with more confidence.

Here is a link to Dion Fortune's book Psychic Self Defense. It is public domain.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:32 pm »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;18290
Here is a link to Dion Fortune's book Psychic Self Defense. It is public domain.

I should probably mention that it's an old book and Dion Fortune held some beliefs that would be considered politically incorrect nowadays, but would be par for the course back in the day.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

Tags: