Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Recommended Rescources for Asatru and Heathenry  (Read 48465 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Rescources for Asatru and Heathenry
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;150160
Just remembered another thing from jstor: "The Norse Concept of Luck," Bettina Sejbjerg Sommer, explains this complex idea.

A couple more things I found on brepols yesterday: "How Uniform was Old Norse Religion?" Stefan Brink, discusses evidence for cult sites in Scandinavia, and provides a check on more speculative etymologies of earlier times.

"Remnants of Old Norse Heathendom in Popular Religion in Christian Times," Else Mundal, describes what of pagan beliefs survived into the Christian period and how they changed over time.

I think that last one is going to be especially interesting to me. I've never quite let go of my childhood relationship with God because the only times I've ever felt god-bothered, it was from That Guy. I've flirted with the idea of Christopaganism but it'd have to be less The Christ and more Father Time... something with a more nature oriented flavor anyway. And not quite Odin, either. Maybe some mix of the two...which could possibly be found in Early Christianity.

Sorry for the ramble, but thanks for the suggestions!
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:57 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;208
Share your recommended resources for all things Asatru and Heathen in this thread, and feel free to tell us a bit about them.

"Sacrifice and Sacrificial Ideology in Old Norse Religion," Daniel Bray, discusses the nature and purpose of blots. http://openjournals.library.usyd.edu.au/index.php/SSR/article/view/207

Mark C.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:35 am »
“Heathenism: Modern Philosophies, Concepts, Views” by Andreas Mang is by far and away the best book I’ve read on modern Heathenry. It’s logical, well-researched, well-argued, intelligent and it’s the only book I read that is totally devoid of “woo-woo” whilst still presenting heathenry are a profound and beneficial worldview. It’s also the only book I have read that I would be happy to give to others and say, “Here you go; this is my worldview”.

No endless “catalogues of the gods” and elaborate “how to do a blot” instructions in this book. Instead we have a genuine theology that is both in-keeping with historical heathenry and modern scientific understanding.

If, like me, you are not a believer in the eddas as “scripture” and you don’t believe in gods as literal beings, then this is the book you’ve been waiting for.
http://www.amazon.com/Heathenism-Modern-Philosophies-Concepts-Views/dp/1502400332/

Mark C.

From the back of the book:

Since the early seventies, the ancient pre-Christian religions of Europe are receiving an ever increasing popularity. Due to the marginal number of adherents they are rarely recognised by the public. This is not detrimental, but their philosophies, concepts, and basic views are not well-known and, therefore, prone to misunderstanding and misjudgement. The main reason for this faulty perception is the lack of knowledge about the basic concepts of old and new paganism. They clearly differ from the established religions and are usually overlooked by modern monotheists and atheists. The followers of modern Nordic-Germanic paganism suffer especially from the bias of a supposedly inherent right-wing extremism. This is based on a comprehensible but clearly distorted historical perspective. This book is a translation of the German original "Aufgeklärtes Heidentum" and dares to attempt the replacement of common misconceptions and ignorance with facts and insights.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »
Quote from: Mark C.;169751
“Heathenism: Modern Philosophies, Concepts, Views” by Andreas Mang

Glad for the recommendation, Mark, but just a general note that quoting rules still apply in this thread. ;)

This looks interesting though, especially as it's originally a German book!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 08:40:22 am »
Quote from: Mark C.;169751

A Reminder:
Hi, Mark C.,

As well as Hyacinth Belle's note about quoting, I'll add that the way you've done this - by posting identical long posts both here in the Resources thread, and as the OP of a thread that (presumably) you intend for discussion of the book - is a violation of TC's rules (scroll down to the 'Don't be annoying' section: 'Posting the same message to multiple topics or boards.')

For future reference, a more useful approach would be to make the longer and more detailed post to start off the discussion thread, then when making the addition to the Resources thread, just give a brief description of why you think it's worth including among the resources, the Amazon link (or other relevant links of that kind), and a link to the discussion thread.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 08:15:34 am »
Asatru isn't known as the religion with homework for no reason. ;) Share your recommended resources for all things Asatru and Heathen in this thread, and feel free to tell us a bit about them.

The enthusiasm of our recent user Doc cheered me up, and caused me to take a renewed look on what happens at the universities of Uppsala and Lund, respectively.

The 14th International saga Conference was held in 2009 in Uppsala. The papers can be downloaded here:

http://hig.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A224754&dswid=86

Snorri's Edda exist in four text-versions, different from each other in, sometimes considerable, ways. Research is happening. Personally, I find the cosmological sections of the Uppsala Edda more coherent than the GkS 2367 4to.

http://www.nordiska.uu.se/forskning/projekt/edda/?languageId=1

Anthony Faulkes translated Heimir Pálson's text-critical edition of the Uppsala Edda in 2012 (ISBN 9780903521857).

Roads to Midgard was a research project in Lund 2000-2007, that shed some new light on some topics. Look here:

http://www.ht.lu.se/en/research/research-database/projects/23/

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:10 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191650
The enthusiasm of our recent user Doc cheered me up, and caused me to take a renewed look on what happens at the universities of Uppsala and Lund, respectively.

The 14th International saga Conference was held in 2009 in Uppsala. The papers can be downloaded here:

http://hig.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A224754&dswid=86

Snorri's Edda exist in four text-versions, different from each other in, sometimes considerable, ways. Research is happening. Personally, I find the cosmological sections of the Uppsala Edda more coherent than the GkS 2367 4to.

http://www.nordiska.uu.se/forskning/projekt/edda/?languageId=1

Anthony Faulkes translated Heimir Pálson's text-critical edition of the Uppsala Edda in 2012 (ISBN 9780903521857).

Roads to Midgard was a research project in Lund 2000-2007, that shed some new light on some topics. Look here:

http://www.ht.lu.se/en/research/research-database/projects/23/

I'm glad I could be of some help lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 07:44:55 am »
Asatru isn't known as the religion with homework for no reason. ;) Share your recommended resources for all things Asatru and Heathen in this thread, and feel free to tell us a bit about them.

The original of this thread can be found on the previous version of The Cauldron. It is four pages of rock solid information, and I highly suggest you check it out. Click here.

The Road to Hel - A study on the conception of the dead in Old Norse Literature.
Direct PDF here. (To me, this study should be a staple for Norse Recon)
http://www.germanicmythology.com/scholarship/road_to_hel.pdf
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »
Quote from: Eevee;198748
The Road to Hel - A study on the conception of the dead in Old Norse Literature.
Direct PDF here. (To me, this study should be a staple for Norse Recon)
http://www.germanicmythology.com/scholarship/road_to_hel.pdf

Yes, this title has come up before; thanks for recommending here!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;198766
Yes, this title has come up before; thanks for recommending here!

This thread has been a great help!  Thank you everyone for these great recommendations! :)
~Son of the Norse

CoyoteFeathers

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Heathen-ish and PIE Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
Share your recommended resources for all things Asatru and Heathen in this thread, and feel free to tell us a bit about them.

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has some audio/video resources. Books and websites are great, but I tend to get easily distracted from them and prefer to learn while multitasking a lot of the time, which reading doesn't lend itself to.

I used to watch SurvivetheJive over on YouTube, but he's started aligning himself more and more with white nationalist groups in the last couple of years, so I dropped him like a hot potato. It's unfortunate since I really did like his stuff, but I can't be certain that his sources aren't all tainted with that same bias.

Anyway! Personally I've found myself watching Eric Word-Weaver Sjerven's Raven's Call podcast for Heathen-related things, but have been unable to find much else that's reliable and not racist. Having to vet channels before watching them is a pain, so I'm hoping someone has some suggestions.

For historical/educational things, I've been enjoying Jackson Crawford (who has a PhD in Norse studies), as well as other generalized history channels like History Time and History with Hilbert. Neither of those two are strictly focused on the eras that Heathenry bases itself in, but for the most part focus on Europe from the Roman era to the Middle Ages, which means they do land on Germanic tribes and the Norse quite a lot.

[Edit: left out some words.]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:24:33 pm by CoyoteFeathers »

Tags: