Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Florida and the Kemetic Gods  (Read 2746 times)

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Florida and the Kemetic Gods
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
So I am from south Florida and I am particularly drawn to the ocean and tropical storms. I am having a hard time connecting to Kemetic deities that rule over these elements. I am not even sure if the AE had a God of the Ocean since the Nile was more important to them. I know their is a Goddess of Rain (or moisture) but who would be the God of thunder storms (Perhaps Set as a God of storms but he is associated with the desert).

I guess I am looking for some suggestions on how to connect to these deities and who are they lol.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Florida and the Kemetic Gods
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;59930
So I am from south Florida and I am particularly drawn to the ocean and tropical storms. I am having a hard time connecting to Kemetic deities that rule over these elements. I am not even sure if the AE had a God of the Ocean since the Nile was more important to them. I know their is a Goddess of Rain (or moisture) but who would be the God of thunder storms (Perhaps Set as a God of storms but he is associated with the desert).

I guess I am looking for some suggestions on how to connect to these deities and who are they lol.

Maybe instead of looking for direct nature connections, look for others? Go more symbolic, or figurative, maybe. Instead of looking at the ocean and asking, "which Netjer do I connect with the ocean?", ask, "which Netjer do I connect with which aspect or power of the ocean?"

From what I understand, early on in ancient Egyptian history, there wasn't a god or goddess of the ocean. Later, there was the god Yam, but he was an import. Also in one case (Leydan hymn), Amun was associated with calming stormy seas, but that was more in connection with the vast power with which his worshippers attributed him.

I think the Netjer can have many manifestations so, for example, just because Set is associated with the desert doesn't mean you can't see him in, say, a tropical storm. Set may be the power of the desert, but he is, among other things, the power of storms. For example, my city had hailstorms two days in a row. Roofs were damaged, car windshields were bashed in and in some places the cars themselves were buried in pea- to golf ball-sized hail! Trees were stripped of their leaves. I watched the hail destroy my grandmother's irises and roses. That, my fellow Cauldronite, is an example of Set's destructive aspect (to me, at least).

In other words, I don't think there's a set of forever unchanging associations between nature, powers, etc. and Netjer, although this is UPG on my part. If you see a particular Netjer in something he or she wasn't traditionally associated with, that's probably okay, although the risk of "misreading" is higher, I would think.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
Quote from: Shine;59941
Maybe instead of looking for direct nature connections, look for others? Go more symbolic, or figurative, maybe. Instead of looking at the ocean and asking, "which Netjer do I connect with the ocean?", ask, "which Netjer do I connect with which aspect or power of the ocean?"

From what I understand, early on in ancient Egyptian history, there wasn't a god or goddess of the ocean. Later, there was the god Yam, but he was an import. Also in one case (Leydan hymn), Amun was associated with calming stormy seas, but that was more in connection with the vast power with which his worshippers attributed him.

I think the Netjer can have many manifestations so, for example, just because Set is associated with the desert doesn't mean you can't see him in, say, a tropical storm. Set may be the power of the desert, but he is, among other things, the power of storms. For example, my city had hailstorms two days in a row. Roofs were damaged, car windshields were bashed in and in some places the cars themselves were buried in pea- to golf ball-sized hail! Trees were stripped of their leaves. I watched the hail destroy my grandmother's irises and roses. That, my fellow Cauldronite, is an example of Set's destructive aspect (to me, at least).

In other words, I don't think there's a set of forever unchanging associations between nature, powers, etc. and Netjer, although this is UPG on my part. If you see a particular Netjer in something he or she wasn't traditionally associated with, that's probably okay, although the risk of "misreading" is higher, I would think.

This posting helped a lot for me. I am having a hard time associating Egyptian Gods with natural elements that they weren't traditionally associated with. Such as snow, ocean, beaches, etc. I am a devotee of Amun so seeing him as having influence even over the Sea helps with this hurdle.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 11:00:18 pm »

Like others have said, the Egyptians didn't have a God of the Ocean. That was outside their world, and as river people, the ocean was a big scary piece of water. Like the Nun, the primordial waters that existed in the beginning of Creation. But I'm not sure I'd associate Nun as an Ocean God/dess today though, but maybe that's something you could explore yourself. Sie might be the closest thing the Egyptians got to 'ocean deity'.

I know in later Graeco-Roman times, Isis became a protector of seafarers. Not a particular oceanic sort of thing, though, but I think I remember reading something about Her being called upon to calm oceanic storms and ensure a safe passage? But I connect Yemaya to the ocean more than Isis anyway, so I don't need an Egyptian oceanic deity. I also connect Sobek to sharks, but that's a UPG thing. Hapi was God of the Nile as well, but I don't know if He'd stretch to the ocean.

I don't see the problem with seeing Set as a God of Storms though; He might be a desert God, but I've seen other Kemetics see Him in thunderstorms that aren't in the desert, too, so I don't think that's necessarily a problem for you to see Him that way. I'm not close to Him though, so I can't speak for this personally.

But I'm more of a polytheist anyway, and I'm not always inclined to find Egyptian Gods as being responsible for everything around me, like oceans and such that aren't traditionally part of Their remit. There are native land spirits and other Gods that take those roles because they come from the land I'm living on, whereas this land is foreign to the Egyptian Gods. So I defer to the native spirits and let the Egyptian Gods concentrate on what matters to Them. It's how I manage the disconnect, but I'm not sure if that's something you'd want to do.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:21:05 am »
Quote from: cymrudraco;59953

But I'm more of a polytheist anyway, and I'm not always inclined to find Egyptian Gods as being responsible for everything around me, like oceans and such that aren't traditionally part of Their remit. There are native land spirits and other Gods that take those roles because they come from the land I'm living on, whereas this land is foreign to the Egyptian Gods. So I defer to the native spirits and let the Egyptian Gods concentrate on what matters to Them. It's how I manage the disconnect, but I'm not sure if that's something you'd want to do.

I would be really interested in doing this but I am not sure how to connect to the local spirits.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 03:14:03 am »

Set is the god of thunder, rain, lightning and sandstorms. One of His epithets is He Before Whom the Sky Shakes.   He's more than a god of the desert. He's the god of all storms in all their incarnations.  There is an ancient prayer from a King asking Set to keep the weather clear of snow for his troops traveling in I think it was the Sinai.  The prayer can be found in Seth: God of Confusion by Herman Te Velde.  

The god Wadj Wer (the Great Green) was the god of the Mediterranean Sea.  

Aset and Nebet Het were associated with the rain which caused the Nile flood.  

As was mentioned, Amun and the Roman Isis were associated with the sea.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:49:38 am »
Quote from: Meritmut;59962
I would be really interested in doing this but I am not sure how to connect to the local spirits.

I'm still getting to know mine as well, but my method at the moment is just trying to reach out and feel for them. Also taking much more notice of the environment and how the seasons shift, and looking into the indigenous culture around me to figure out what spirits might be out there, and what their indigenous names are. Pouring offerings into the Earth every now and then. Being aware, mostly, and trying to get to know them. It's not a perfect method, but maybe it gives you somewhere to start?
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;59985
Set is the god of thunder, rain, lightning and sandstorms. One of His epithets is He Before Whom the Sky Shakes.   He's more than a god of the desert. He's the god of all storms in all their incarnations.  There is an ancient prayer from a King asking Set to keep the weather clear of snow for his troops traveling in I think it was the Sinai.  The prayer can be found in Seth: God of Confusion by Herman Te Velde.  

The god Wadj Wer (the Great Green) was the god of the Mediterranean Sea.  

Aset and Nebet Het were associated with the rain which caused the Nile flood.  

As was mentioned, Amun and the Roman Isis were associated with the sea.

This was very helpful lol. Thank you. I was going some digging around last night and found the information on Set. Thank you!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
So I am from south Florida and I am particularly drawn to the ocean and tropical storms.

Astarte.
Also look at the gods who were popular in the Northern delta, because that was low-lying terrain near the sea. Banebdjedet and Hatmehit are two of them.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;60292
Astarte.
Also look at the gods who were popular in the Northern delta, because that was low-lying terrain near the sea. Banebdjedet and Hatmehit are two of them.

Thank you! I will look into those as well :)

JedMehdu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:29:48 am »

Hope you got the info/inspiration you were looking for.  My understanding is that Atlantic hurricanes begin as tropical depressions off the coast of Africa, so I feel Kemetic deities would fit.

And although I don't consider myself a 'follower' of Tefnut, here in Southern California, when it rains (yes it does...) I generally offer a brief prayer of thanks to Nebet Tefnut for Her "gentle blessing".

As for Set, well, "...the ocean is a desert with its life underground/and a perfect disguise above..." - America
JM

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:45 am »
Quote from: JedMehdu;72391
As for Set, well, "...the ocean is a desert with its life underground/and a perfect disguise above..." - America
JM

I love that!  And yes, I think Tefnut and Set would be two ideal ones to look into.  Of course, I'm a bit biased as Set is the one I'm devoted to.

EDIT: to the OP, since you are in South Florida I know you've got your fair share of gators and even a few crocodiles, you could look into Sobek as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:44:31 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:33 am »
Quote from: JedMehdu;72391
JM

... I am really reassured that I'm not the only person who associates that song with Himself....
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;72425
... I am really reassured that I'm not the only person who associates that song with Himself....

I love that song and when I hear it now, I'm only going to think of Him.

Tags: