Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: modern temples - what should they be like?  (Read 13440 times)

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
modern temples - what should they be like?
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:30 am »
Greetings friends. My name is Kallimahos, I live and work in Athens and I'm new on this forum.

i'd like to share with you my problematic on how a hellenic temple built today should be like. Taking under consideration the fact that hellenism and the old faiths in general are reviving, i deem sooner or later there will be the need for new places of worship. To this day, hellenists use to worship either in private or in the open nature, while ruins of ancient temples is also a favorite destination. In Greece, the more advanced cases include a stone altar on mount Pentelikon as well as a somewhat romantic effort of building a temple with a peristasis in Oreokastro area, Thessaloniki. The essential debate of 'where should hellenists worship shall they ever be able to afford resources to build a really nice temple', has not opened yet. Worst, seems to me i'm the only weirdo to have this kind of thoughts. So i decided to address a bigger audience.

I've gathered some questions that puzzle me from time to time, looking for your thoughts and comments

- Marble & stone vs concrete: what is best for building material?

- Should the structure utilize modern advances in technology? (anti-earthquake methods, electricity, glass surfaces, modern paints/varnishes etc)

- Should the structure's morphology follow the classical architectural standards or be open to major innovations? Are there architects today capable of innovating on the classical aesthetics? Can the classical aesthetics be improved and if yes in what way?

- Easy vs hard access: Should the structure be built near populated areas with things like a parking lot and toilets? Should it be built away in an uninhabited area, with human interference on the site kept on a minimum?

You are welcomed to share your opinions as well as add on the list.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:00:35 pm by RandallS »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: modern temples - what should they be like?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:49 am »
Quote from: kallimahos;3837
- Marble & stone vs concrete: what is best for building material?

- Should the structure utilize modern advances in technology? (anti-earthquake methods, electricity, glass surfaces, modern paints/varnishes etc)

Some of the major ancient temples pushed the technology of the time when they were built, the Parthenon for example. So I would say the the Gods are not adverse to advances in technology. I would certainly use the anti-earthquake construction methods for any major temple.

- Should the structure's morphology follow the classical architectural standards or be open to major innovations? Are there architects today capable of innovating on the classical aesthetics? Can the classical aesthetics be improved and if yes in what way?

I think some innovation is a good think, One should honor the past but look after modern needs as well.

- Easy vs hard access: Should the structure be built near populated areas with things like a parking lot and toilets? Should it be built away in an uninhabited area, with human interference on the site kept on a minimum?

I think this depends on the deity and the reason for the temple. Both types of temples were used in ancient Greece. Temples in the midst of cities and temples in harder to access areas.  However, even some of the harder to access locations apparently because major pilgrimage sites -- for example, the birthplace of Zeus in Crete.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
modern temples - what should they be like?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:29 am »

When you get into things like electricity (and toilets, which you mention in another question), you're talking about things that are considered really basic amenities for a human habitation in Western society in this day and age.  I see no reason why I would build a temple to the Gods to a lower standard than I would build my house to.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but I suspect any temple built in the US would be subject to building codes.  I don't know if that covers earthquake proofing, but I would suspect it would be involved to some degree (at least in areas where earthquakes are a major concern).

As for things like modern paints and concrete...  Why not?  We don't live in ancient Greece; why should we be bound to ancient materials?  They built using what was available to them at the time.  So should we.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:16 am »
Quote from: RandallS;3867
Some of the major ancient temples pushed the technology of the time when they were built, the Parthenon for example.

Pushed the building technology ok, but did they embody technology? For us, there lies a large unknown territory of discovering the connections that modern technology materials have, to the primal elements and the ancient perceptions. For instance, a solar roof could be utilized on a temple of Apollo, or large glass surfaces could be used in a temple of Hygeia, but no one is discussing about how and which technological advances should be incorporated, into religious practices that have never known them.

I think some innovation is a good think, One should honor the past but look after modern needs as well.

You are right in general terms but soon as we accept innovation, questions emerge like 'what innovation' and 'how much innovation' and these are the really hot questions. Innovating on classic formulas was done in antiquity, the temple of Epikourios Apollon at Vassai portrays this with the gate carved to its eastern side. This is innovation by the same man who had designed the parthenon some 20 years before, but Iktinos case belongs to the few exceptions rather than the rule. So, what innovation and how much of it should be expected in designing a modern Hellenic temple?

I think this depends on the deity and the reason for the temple. Both types of temples were used in ancient Greece.

Good point.

Quote from: Star;3879
As for things like modern paints and concrete... Why not? We don't live in ancient Greece; why should we be bound to ancient materials? They built using what was available to them at the time. So should we.

But how about the aesthetics of the materials? Marble is a more good-looking material than concrete for example. Also, there is a basic religious aspect in the fact that temples were build to last, resembling the eternal attribute of divinity. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think concrete was a 100-year life-span, after which it starts to deteriorate and turn to dust.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:18:19 am »
Quote from: kallimahos;4195
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think concrete was a 100-year life-span, after which it starts to deteriorate and turn to dust.

Depends on the mixture of concrete, elements/weather, and wear and tear. The Romans invented and built with concrete.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:30 am »
Greetings friends. My name is Kallimahos, I live and work in Athens and I'm new on this forum.

i'd like to share with you my problematic on how a hellenic temple built today should be like. Taking under consideration the fact that hellenism and the old faiths in general are reviving, i deem sooner or later there will be the need for new places of worship. To this day, hellenists use to worship either in private or in the open nature, while ruins of ancient temples is also a favorite destination.

Temples weren't places of worship, they were the houses of the deity that contained the cult statue and votive offerings. The general population probably weren't allowed in the temples, only the priests/priestesses who maintained the cult of the deity. Communal worship took place outside, and sacrifices were offered on an altar in front of the temple under open sky.

As for what temples are made of, I don't think it matters as long as they have aesthetic appeal. Also, I do think they should be kept away from polluting influences. but not completely separate from a community. They should probably just be in a nice area, or in a place within the community but in special place, like an ancient acropolis.

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:23 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;5432
Temples weren't places of worship, they were the houses of the deity that contained the cult statue and votive offerings.

Well obviously an offering is an act of worship and they could not send it over by courier, plus there were sites of mass concourse like Eleusis. Regardless of that, facts show that modern hellenes (the ones I know at least) tend to gather to sacred sites for feasting and with this in mind, my guess is that sooner or later an attempt for a temple will be made.

Quote from: Carnelian;5432
Also, I do think they should be kept away from polluting influences. but not completely separate from a community.

That's another interesting topic about communities, because communities back then resembled small, religiously homogenous cities with a few thousand people, whereas communities today is a more 'technical' term, resembling metropolises of many millions, where individual pagans live scattered across many kilometres. So some 'completeness' of separation does enter the scene here.

Also Randall above talked of "temples in the midst of cities".... nowadays this would look something like

which is not so pagan a sight imho

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:04:25 am »
Quote from: kallimahos;6121
my guess is that sooner or later an attempt for a temple will be made.

The attempt has been made already: http://12thespis.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/ellinonaos1/

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:26:47 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;6145
The attempt has been made already: http://12thespis.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/ellinonaos1/

In Greece, the more advanced cases include a stone altar on mount Pentelikon as well as a somewhat romantic effort of building a temple with a peristasis in Oreokastro area, Thessaloniki.

This is essentially a one-man effort. His intentions were pure, however it draws much criticism because of its questionable aesthetics. People say he could do much better had he opted for a plain altar.

This topic is more about a collective effort with adequate resources. In plain words, had we the money to build the Parthenon anew, what would we build?

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 11:27:18 pm »
Quote from: kallimahos;6162
In plain words, had we the money to build the Parthenon anew, what would we build?

Well, to start, we'd need the sanctuary enclosure.  I'd say that'd be at least 1/2 an acre.  More if a parking area were to be included.  I'd say we'd probably end up going with a building of classical revival design.  So you enter the sanctuary (parking off site, in this example) and are faced with a large open front yard with the main altar center.  

Given the diversity of people, it's probably be to all Daimones, Theoi et al. with maybe local patrons given pride of place.  I'd say it'd be a combination of both raised ouranial and recessed cthonic.  Stone would be likely, though I kind of like the idea of building a wooden table altar for each major festival to be burnt with the offerings.

On one side, I think a smaller shrine to Hestia with a perpetual fire would be appropriate.  Perhaps with an attatched kitchen, for when we need to cook the sacrafices.  On the other side (to satisfy my sense of symmetry) there'd be the administrative offices and supplies storage.

When we get to the temple is where it becomes more vague.  I propose that this should be syncretized with a library and museum.
I'm seeing a raised collonade, fairly wide, with large ornamental doors.  Smaller functional doors within them.  The first room is a large foyer, with large doors ahead, and smaller doors to the side.  The large door enters the statue room, and when both sets of doors are open, the main statue can see the altar.  The side doors lead to study/classrooms that are on two levels, making for four rooms at the front of the Temple.

Doors on the side at the back of the statue room would lead to two galleries. These to be used as library for study and museum space.  Any 'museum shop' type activities should be in the administration offices.

We could of course have a separate building somewhere for the library/museum/classrooms, leaving the temple as just the statue room.  Which would be historical, as the temple itself was essentially the storeroom for whomever presided over the sanctuary.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 04:06:43 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;6384
I'd say we'd probably end up going with a building of classical revival design.
I propose that this should be syncretized with a library and museum.
I'm seeing a raised collonade, fairly wide, with large ornamental doors.

Very nice drekfletch, thank you for your contribution. If I did capture your vision correct, the temple should be something like this maybe? (minus the surroundings)

Richard C. Lee Courthouse, New Haven

To be honest, I hadn't thought of classical revival architecture. Maybe because buildings of this style are numbered by the fingers of one hand over here, whereas in the usa this style is widespread, at least on the public buildings. It's very interesting how influences vary from place to place. Very nice also to combine study with worship in one place, it would give the building an everyday use and turn it to a place of learning the old religion and the philosophy.

I suspect you'd use modern building materials?

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »
Quote from: kallimahos;6423
If I did capture your vision correct, the temple should be something like this maybe? (minus the surroundings)

Perhaps not quite that large, and with the collonade as more of a porch and less of a basic gateway.   Most revivalist buildings are all fairly similar.

Very nice also to combine study with worship in one place, it would give the building an everyday use and turn it to a place of learning the old religion and the philosophy.

This part I had second thoughts about as it's one of the more non-traditional elements.  I had to choose between an uncluttered sanctuary or the more traditional temple usage.  Since, as the storehouse of the gods, it would end up like a museum, I decided to officially incorporate that eventuality.

I suspect you'd use modern building materials?

Oh, absolutely.  I suspect the ancients didn't build out of any special sanctity of the materials, but what was the best of the best for the Thoi.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:47:24 am »
The essential debate of 'where should hellenists worship shall they ever be able to afford resources to build a really nice temple', has not opened yet. Worst, seems to me i'm the only weirdo to have this kind of thoughts. So i decided to address a bigger audience.

I've gathered some questions that puzzle me from time to time, looking for your thoughts and comments

I don't see why one has to build a special structure.  Why not purchase a nice building with ample land?  Heck, it could be a fixer-upper that could be restored for a much lower cost.  You can put money saved towards really nice decorations.

Jehovah's witnesses do that. They're always buying old buildings and having their members volunteer their time and services to turn them into Kingdom Halls.  Sure, traditional temples were the homes of the deity, and not places of gathering, but why not permit that today? Why not provide a place where people can gather, and the gods can receive their due worship despite the weather?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:50:58 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:15 am »
Quote from: SeaShine;6753
I don't see why one has to build a special structure.  Why not purchase a nice building with ample land?  Heck, it could be a fixer-upper that could be restored for a much lower cost.  You can put money saved towards really nice decorations.

hello Seashine!

I believe Jehova's witnesses are not a fitting paradigm for what we should do, because the worldviews are fundamentally different. Their divinity is placed somewhere out of nature, whereas in out case nature is divine by itself and the source of all divinity. Imho, a usual hall in some concrete building does not do much compliments to the natural environment.

kallimahos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:04:49 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;6700
Oh, absolutely.  I suspect the ancients didn't build out of any special sanctity of the materials, but what was the best of the best for the Thoi.

some questions emerge here, like

What makes a material better than another?
Why did temples evolve from wooden to stone?
Was marble more favorable than stone and why?
Why pentelikon marble was deemed superior quality among other marbles?

Tags: