collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Urglaawe - PA Dutch paganism  (Read 8988 times)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
Urglaawe - PA Dutch paganism
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:00 am »
I search before I posted so I hope this is not addressed somewhere. I found a video on youtube searching for Norse altars of the PA Dutch pagans. I was surprised to find it since I live in WV and have been to communities and never would have associated that group with pagans. It involves German specific practices in relation to the gods/goddesses and magic, powwow, healing, herbal practices.

Is anyone here familiar with this practice or can they recommend books on the topics? I have found some stuff online but was wondering if anyone is actually involved.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Urglaawe - PA Dutch paganism
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »
Quote from: Ula;59177
Is anyone here familiar with this practice or can they recommend books on the topics? I have found some stuff online but was wondering if anyone is actually involved.

Powwow is more of a Christian folk magic, I think.  However, I'm no expert.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »
I search before I posted so I hope this is not addressed somewhere. I found a video on youtube searching for Norse altars of the PA Dutch pagans. I was surprised to find it since I live in WV and have been to communities and never would have associated that group with pagans. It involves German specific practices in relation to the gods/goddesses and magic, powwow, healing, herbal practices.

I strongly recommend that you hie yourself over to Asatru Lore and connect with Bil. Pennsylvania Dutch heathenism is a specialty of his.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;59235
I strongly recommend that you hie yourself over to Asatru Lore and connect with Bil. Pennsylvania Dutch heathenism is a specialty of his.

Thanks.
:)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »
Quote from: Ula;59239
Thanks.
:)

im distantly related to the Pennsylvania 'Dutch' but that's bout all I know,lol.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »
...QUOTE]
This is the video that got all this started. [video]http://youtu.be/f737XlFyQKU[/video]

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:38:30 am »
Quote from: Ula;59323
...QUOTE]
This is the video that got all this started. [video]http://youtu.be/f737XlFyQKU[/video]

I didn't really see anything in that video that stood out. He just went over the deities on his altar/shrine. ??
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:24 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;59703
Quote from: Ula;59323

I didn't really see anything in that video that stood out. He just went over the deities on his altar/shrine. ??

Sorry, it was significant to me as Holda/Holle was the main focus and it was more German oriented than further North. I guess it might not seem like much but it stood out to me as significant.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
Quote from: Ula;59706
Quote from: Juniperberry;59703

Sorry, it was significant to me as Holda/Holle was the main focus and it was more German oriented than further North. I guess it might not seem like much but it stood out to me as significant.

I see. I wasn't trying to criticize the video, I was just not seeing anything that was specific to the Penn. Urglaawe you mentioned.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;59709
Quote from: Ula;59706

I see. I wasn't trying to criticize the video, I was just not seeing anything that was specific to the Penn. Urglaawe you mentioned.

Not at all the point is to ask questions and get replies. I found the video and then researched urglaawe and found it's basically PA Dutch but pagan instead of Christians. My impressions is they have some similarities. I was hoping for some input from a practitioner and I think I will find it at the site recommended. I guess it's here in case someone else ever asks.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:06:23 pm »

A month ago we did a show on Raven Radio about precisely this subject:

http://www.ravenradio.info/archives/246

Urglaawer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:37 am »

Hail!

I wrote a nice, long response to this post, but it got lost when I tried to submit the reply. Yes, there are many folks active in Urglaawe, and we have quite a few publications available!

I will try to repost a full response later! :)

Robert L. Schreiwer
Ziewer,
Distelfink Sippschaft

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:35 am »
Quote from: Urglaawer;63794
Hail!

I wrote a nice, long response to this post, but it got lost when I tried to submit the reply. Yes, there are many folks active in Urglaawe, and we have quite a few publications available!

Robert L. Schreiwer
Ziewer,
Distelfink Sippschaft

Looking forward to reading your responses.  I like talking to the PA 'Dutch,' they speak a Swiss dialect after all and are great historians.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »
Quote from: Urglaawer;63794
Hail!

Robert L. Schreiwer
Ziewer,
Distelfink Sippschaft

I just finished reading your A Dictionary of Urglaawe Terminology. It was informative. :)

Urglaawer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:36 pm »
Quote from: Ula;63815
I just finished reading your A Dictionary of Urglaawe Terminology. It was informative. :)

I am glad that you found it to be informative! We have some other publications available -- for free -- at http://www.urglaawe.com.

Rob  :)

Tags: