Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Practicing While at School  (Read 8380 times)

Green Thumb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing While at School
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:08 pm »
Quote from: Amethyst;58779
I recently finished my freshman year of college, where I spent little time with my spirituality the entire year besides article reading, research, quiet prayers, and spending time in nature as much as I could while in a city school. I lived in a double, within a suite. Two of the girls I lived with were very Christian, and than combined with the fact that I hardly knew them at first made me very uncomfortable.

I was wondering how other people, who have gone through this before or currently are, follow a Pagan religion while in college. Do you have an altar, permanent or temporary? How open are you about your beliefs? Have you run into any problems? Do you do rituals in the dorms?

Next year, I hope to have a small permanent altar (with plants!) and be more active.

I now have my own apartment, but when I was in the dorms I just had to make do with reading and personal meditations. My cover story was that Paganism has awesome information on symbolism (which it does) and that it was the easiest information to find. I do have a bit of an obsession with symbolism, so this helped. Very few people know, and I personally do not mind who knows, just want them to have learned their information from my own mouth
~E

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Practicing While at School
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:21 am »
Quote from: Amethyst;58779
I recently finished my freshman year of college, where I spent little time with my spirituality the entire year besides article reading, research, quiet prayers, and spending time in nature as much as I could while in a city school. I lived in a double, within a suite. Two of the girls I lived with were very Christian, and than combined with the fact that I hardly knew them at first made me very uncomfortable.

I was wondering how other people, who have gone through this before or currently are, follow a Pagan religion while in college. Do you have an altar, permanent or temporary? How open are you about your beliefs? Have you run into any problems? Do you do rituals in the dorms?

Next year, I hope to have a small permanent altar (with plants!) and be more active.

I'm in my second year in my university and I've found being a practicing pagan here not to be a problem :) I'm originally from Dublin but I find that it is more open and supplies are more available here in the south of the country- which is odd!
Generally in Ireland we usually have our own room in student accomodation so I have my altar set up on my desk at the moment. My flatmates are fine with my practice and don't mind when I borrow the coffee table for ritual XD
There used to be a pagan society years ago but it died out unfortunately.
I've met a few pagans here and my friend and I are planning a solstice ritual together. The chaplaincy of the university has graciously allowed us the use of their multi-faith prayer room (lovely people!) and one of the priests (a Protestant one I believe- the Christian priests are from a few different denominations) seems very enthusiastic about it :) :D:
The only thing I can't do is burn incense due to smoke detectors but I've found oil burners are a great substitute! :D
I usually stick to tealights and small candles too.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Tags: