Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Christo-Paganism: Some Answered Questions  (Read 13795 times)

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Christo-Paganism: Some Answered Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;58457
I must admit I equally wondered if the person was open to his church as to his beliefs and if they would then continue to accept him/her?  Personaly I'd think not.

But to my perspective the whole Christo-Pagan thing is a matter of not fully embracing one and to fearful to release the other.  It gives them a saving throw as they can always claim they never fully left it (ie Christian Church).

Well it is true there might be some who wouldn't accept me if they knew, but there are some who do know and accept me, including a few Priests. I always level with the Priest when I move to another parish, and generally I am told the same thing: a layperson does not have to accept all the creeds and such of the church, a Priest or a Bishop does. The position of the church on creeds, etc. is that they show what "the church teaches", not necessarily what a layperson must affirm. That is why the church accepts Unitarian Anglicans and others, even though its official teaching is Trinitarian.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;58295
Christianity is now composed of Catholics, and Protestants (which have many different groups).

And Orthodox. It irks me to no end that people who presume to study religions insist on ignoring a branch with over 200 million adherents.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;58489
That's... odd. Unless you're drifting Gnostic, in which case Episcopalianism is right out.

Let's try this: how do you view Jesus? Do you believe in the resurrection? Do you believe that salvation of a kind is achieved by accepting his crucifixion as a (fill in terminally misunderstood part here which is one reason I can never be a Christian) for your sins?

Episcopalianism is not right out for the reason I mentioned in my above post. As for how I view Jesus, I suscribe to Nestorianism, that Jesus was a man who awakened to Christ/God-nature in the universe. This is the same view that Oriental Orthodox and Coptic Christians hold. As for do I believe the crucifixion achieves salvation- no I do not, and neither is that the only view that Christians have held throughout the centuries. That is actually one of five historical views on how Christ reconciles man to the divine. It was popularized by Anselm of Canterbury, but prior to that it wasn't a majority position.

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:00:11 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;58493
And Orthodox. It irks me to no end that people who presume to study religions insist on ignoring a branch with over 200 million adherents.

Wouldn't Catholic and Orthodox kinda fall into the same bracket? I think that's how Catholics would see it.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:47 pm »
Quote from: Staff of Sekhmet;58495
Wouldn't Catholic and Orthodox kinda fall into the same bracket? I think that's how Catholics would see it.

Have they buried the Great Schism? News to me.
~St Augustine~

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:05:26 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;58496
Have they buried the Great Schism? News to me.

I think they're trying (or at least Catholics are)

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »
Quote from: Staff of Sekhmet;58494
Episcopalianism is not right out for the reason I mentioned in my above post.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was suggesting that Episcopalianism is incompatible with Gnosticism.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »
Quote from: Staff of Sekhmet;58499
I think they're trying (or at least Catholics are)

The division has existed for nearly a millennium. It won't be reversed with a snapping of fingers. And since the Orthodox disagree on a number of points, both in doctrine and in praxis, that the Catholic church has added over those years, they won't be accepting an invitation to rejoin the big party any time soon.

Anyway, enough with derailing the thread. Carry on.
~St Augustine~

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;58500
I think you may have misunderstood me. I was suggesting that Episcopalianism is incompatible with Gnosticism.

It is.  Choosing to attend an Episcopal church doesn't make one Episcopal...and makes me ask why the OP would choose to take communion in a church whose tenets don't match hir own.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:12 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;58502
It is.  Choosing to attend an Episcopal church doesn't make one Episcopal...and makes me ask why the OP would choose to take communion in a church whose tenets don't match hir own.

Because taking the sacrament is part of what Jesus taught, and important even by my view. I am a member of the Episcopal Church and have been for years. They have open communion, and as I said the layperson's tenets are not required to match what the church teaches. However, I am wondering if you have another suggestion? Do you think I shouldn't be Episcopalian or receive Communion? I have been a member for years, I enjoy the fellowship and community.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
Quote from: Staff of Sekhmet;58297
I'm a member of probably the most liberal sect in all Christianity- Episcopal. ;)

Darkhawk has already mentioned the United Church of Christ (a US denomination).  More liberal still is the United Church of Canada.

Of course, this might depend on what criteria one used to measure "liberal".

Sunflower
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:37:19 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:10 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;58493

Yes, it is annoying. Protestant does not cover everything not Catholic. There are 4 major divisions of Christianity (in order from largest to smallest and Catholics are over 50% of the total):

Catholic
Protestant
(Eastern) Orthodox
Anglican

There are a number of smaller branches, but the only fairly major smaller branches are the Oriental Orthodox and the Church of the East.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;58403
I'm pretty sure general consensus is that UUs are no longer Christian, though there are Christian UUs.

Their sibling denomination, the UCC, is one of the most consistently liberal denominations.  Certainly far more so than any of the ones who are concerned about pandering to their African (and sometimes South American) extreme conservatives.

How about the United Methodists?  Instead of pandering, they seem to be ignoring their African members.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
Quote from: sailor;58524
How about the United Methodists?  Instead of pandering, they seem to be ignoring their African members.

The Methodist Church seesaws back and forth on actual genuine schism (which is, for those who aren't aware of it, a Huge Fucking Deal in Christian theology).  I'm not sure which way they're going at the moment - while I have minor interest, as the sort of Christian I'm not is a Methodist, I haven't actually looked into the state of the denomination recently.

Further, whether or not a Methodist church is generally in the 'liberal church' pot is heavily regional.  It was a bit of a shock to me when I encountered people who had been raised in (usually but not always southern) Methodist churches who talked about the gay-hating pulpit-pounding stuff from their experience.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Staff of Sekhmet

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;58554
Further, whether or not a Methodist church is generally in the 'liberal church' pot is heavily regional.  It was a bit of a shock to me when I encountered people who had been raised in (usually but not always southern) Methodist churches who talked about the gay-hating pulpit-pounding stuff from their experience.

Yeah it shocks me too because the Methodist church I attended some when I lived on the west coast was very liberal

Tags: