Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?  (Read 17118 times)

tessatriskel

• View Profile
Re: What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;180784
Ohhhh my gosh, I've been wanting a Wild Unknown deck for a long time! I finally had the sense to start a fund for it; a couple dollars in a jar when I can spare 'em, and at some point I'll be able to purchase the deck.

International shipping is a huge pain, isn't it?

It is...BUT I just ordered them. If you wanted to get them, I think this is the right moment because they stopped printing the first edition and, during Yuletide, they are going to release the second edition...

Tavvey

• View Profile
    • http://facebook.com/tabitharowland
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
Quote from: Erratic Charmer;57771
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there. I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?

I have the Mystic Faerie tarot by Barbara Moore and the Carr-Gomms' Druidcraft tarot. I'm mostly using the latter these days.

Off at home in the States I have a Thoth deck and a Goddess tarot.

I had a Hieronymos Bosch deck once but I never felt comfortable with it so I eventually swapped it away.

I have the Thoth Tarot deck and absolutely love it.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 05:01:04 pm »
Quote from: Cág;178032
I own the Druidcraft Tarot and I just love the artwork. I'd love to collect the other oracle and tarot decks by the same artist :D:

I also recently picked up the Marseille Tarot, and although I really like the artwork, I prefer decks like the Druidcraft because I like more individual Minor Arcana cards.

I'd love to design my own someday!

Just picked up the WildWood Tarot at the weekend- I love it and am really glad I decided to grab it.
The cards are a nice size in my hands and I really love the artwork.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

catonmyshirt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2015, 02:38:04 pm »
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there. I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?

I have the Mystic Faerie tarot by Barbara Moore and the Carr-Gomms' Druidcraft tarot. I'm mostly using the latter these days.

I had a Hieronymos Bosch deck once but I never felt comfortable with it so I eventually swapped it away.
I have a medieval cats themed deck that I use for myself, and only myself. If someone wants me to do a reading for them, I have a gilded standard deck. They always like it when it's   flashy~~

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2016, 03:51:21 pm »
Quote from: Mellee;175448
My decks...
Rider-Waite
Dragon Tarot
Gilded Tarot
Sacred Circle Tarot

I have stumbled across my soulmate deck: The Golden Thread Tarot.

The illustration is meaningful and beautiful. Every card I pick up calls to me. It's the first deck I've ever had that I could read easily straight away.

Also, there's an app: "The app also comes with the ability to cast digital spreads, walk you through doing a physical reading, has a database of all the card meanings, let you save your card of the day and readings in a log, and finally, the app analyzes all your stored logs to give you what we call a mirror. It finds patterns in your data in terms of what you're asking questions about, your emotions regarding your readings, and what popular suits have shown up in your spreads."

I'm in love.

A FB friend has been creating her own deck, which she is releasing as a 26 card Oracle as well as a 78 card tarot, and it's been fascinating to watch.

If I hadn't found the Golden Thread, she mighta inspired me to have a crack at my own. ;)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2016, 09:19:02 am »
Quote from: Mellee;188840
I'm in love.

I picked up The Heart of Faerie Oracle last week, and I absolutely love it!
Brian and Wendy Froud were the design team behind some of my favourite movies as a child and Brian did the artwork on some of the books I read as a teenager so I've a huge appreciation for the imagery on the cards.

I was really delighted when I saw this one on sale! (12 quid!) :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37:49 pm »
Quote from: Mellee;188840
If I hadn't found the Golden Thread, she mighta inspired me to have a crack at my own. ;)

I recommend you try it at some point anyway; I've designed my own oracle deck and I've found it reads unlike even my favorite tarot decks.

As for what I have besides that: I started with the Rohrig Tarot and still have it, along with the Archeon, Antiquarian, Vertigo and Mage the Ascension tarot decks. I tend to use my oracle decks for most divination but have a few layouts that call for multiple decks, so all of my decks get to come out and play sometimes.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2016, 09:40:49 am »
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there.

I picked up a new one at Paganicon that I'm really rather pleased with. It's made by someone I've known for ages, and I'd probably have bought it anyway, because of that, but I'm really liking the cards and concepts she chose for it, and the watercolor backgrounds and pen and ink sketches really work for me. (I'm experimenting with using it for a card a day purposes.)

The deck is the Tangled Roots Oracle deck.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2016, 01:29:16 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188934
I picked up a new one at Paganicon that I'm really rather pleased with. It's made by someone I've known for ages, and I'd probably have bought it anyway, because of that, but I'm really liking the cards and concepts she chose for it, and the watercolor backgrounds and pen and ink sketches really work for me. (I'm experimenting with using it for a card a day purposes.)

Oh gods that's gorgeous. And the raccoon card! So cute and perfect!

Man I really want that now.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2016, 01:50:21 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188934

That's really pretty! It's not quite my style, but I know some friends I'll be passing this along to.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;188942
That's really pretty! It's not quite my style

I have to agree on both accounts. To each their own. I haven't found the perfect deck, yet.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;189014
I have to agree on both accounts. To each their own. I haven't found the perfect deck, yet.

I subscribe to the 'why pick just one' school of divination decks: I find different decks do different things for me.

My primary reading deck these days for me is the Shadowscapes Tarot, but I've found I just won't use it regularly for a daily reading (I think because it's too complicated, and too many details I want to think about in the card I pick, and mornings are often hard for me physically, so anything that slows me down is tricky.)

I also use my self-made quotation deck a lot for readings.

But I'd been looking for something that would work well for single card draws, or for broad questions (what things should I be thinking about, what am I forgetting to consider in this situation) where the Tangled Roots deck is so far looking like a good fit - as well as having some useful potential for magical workings.

(Something I do with other divination decks too, but where it's sometimes a bit more complicated to find the right balance of cards that don't have additional unwanted implications.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;189017
I subscribe to the 'why pick just one' school of divination decks: I find different decks do different things for me.

I share that experience.

My primary reading deck these days for me is the Shadowscapes Tarot, but I've found I just won't use it regularly for a daily reading (...) But I'd been looking for something that would work well for single card draws, or for broad questions (what things should I be thinking about, what am I forgetting to consider in this situation) where the Tangled Roots deck is so far looking like a good fit - as well as having some useful potential for magical workings.

I began constructing a personal oracle deck during one of my chaos magical phases, but left it unfinished. My primary reading deck is Dame Fortune's Wheel, but I have found IJJ Swiss useful after sacrifices. Juno and Jupiter turns up more often than statistically expected in those circumstances.

Luna SilverWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »

I have a few decks. More will be added over time. My Rider deck is my oldest deck and has been amazing. I recently received the Tarot of Trees deck and have such a strong connection with it that I haven't touched my RW since. The deck is lovely. I also have The Witches Tarot deck which I also love and plan on purchasing the Crystal Visions deck soon along with the Dame Darcy.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:14 am »

I agree completely. I have several decks but even with my go-tos I tend to use them for different things, or if I'm in a certain mood.

(Something I do with other divination decks too, but where it's sometimes a bit more complicated to find the right balance of cards that don't have additional unwanted implications.)

Now there's a good point - some cards definitely have associations that may not mesh well with an intended spell.

Tags: