Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Eclectic in the making?  (Read 7295 times)

EarthMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Eclectic in the making?
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »
I'm confused.  And that's probably a huge understatement.  I don't know where I fit into the Wide World of Paganism.  I don't know if I belong under that umbrella at all, to be honest.  (I explained that I've had a years-long attraction to Paganism in my introduction post.)

There are so many reasons for me to be hesitant to embrace this change, not the least of which is my Christian background...I'm very active in my church.  I still believe many biblical principles to be valid, but there are just as many that my conscience cannot adhere to anymore.  I'm also afraid of confusing my daughters, who have been raised in the Christian faith up to this point.  And quite frankly, I'm afraid of scaring my husband, who would think I'd gone off the deep end.  I would need to be very sure about my path before making the life-altering decision to change religions.  Maybe some of the knowledgeable minds around here can help me figure some things out.

Here's a short list (it is be no means a comprehensive one!) of what I DO believe...
1.  All things in the Universe are connected and have power in and of themselves - including thoughts.  This is the catalyst of magic.
2.  I believe in the power of herbs and Nature for healing...in essence, homeopathy, yet it is so much more!
3.  While I believe the Myths were based in reality, the gods and goddesses were not true "gods and goddesses"...I know this requires a lot of explanation of why I believe this way, but I won't get into that now.  However, this belief makes worship nearly impossible.
4.  I believe in an afterlife.
5.  I believe in the Threefold Law.
6.  I believe in much of the Wiccan Rede.
7.  Here's the real kicker...science.  I believe that everything can be explained in scientific terms.  Modern-day scientists may not posess all the knowledge to explain the supernatural or paranormal, but I believe the potential exists.  I think this must be true if #1 is true.

For every question I answer, a hundred more seem to pop up...it's overwhelming!  I don't even know excactly what questions I'm trying to answer by posting this.  Help?

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Eclectic in the making?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:36 pm »
Quote from: EarthMom;57718

There are so many reasons for me to be hesitant to embrace this change, not the least of which is my Christian background...I'm very active in my church.

Jesus's teachings can be combined fairly easily with Paganism. You can also still go to church - I know of many atheists who attend church for the peacefulness of the services and the good social support network.

Here's a short list (it is be no means a comprehensive one!) of what I DO believe...
1.  All things in the Universe are connected and have power in and of themselves - including thoughts.  This is the catalyst of magic.
3.  While I believe the Myths were based in reality, the gods and goddesses were not true "gods and goddesses"...I know this requires a lot of explanation of why I believe this way, but I won't get into that now.  However, this belief makes worship nearly impossible.
7.  Here's the real kicker...science.  I believe that everything can be explained in scientific terms.  Modern-day scientists may not posess all the knowledge to explain the supernatural or paranormal, but I believe the potential exists.  I think this must be true if #1 is true.

This is all fairly close to what I believe. I call myself a Pantheist, if that's at all helpful in your search. Also, if you feel like explaining your position on gods and goddesses by PM I would be interested.

Afterlife as in going to another place or afterlife as in being reincarnated on earth? That can make a largish difference to which directions you might want to head in your search.

Most religions (and non-religious philosophies) have a guideline similar to the Threefold Law - a general 'don't be a dick or it'll come back to get you rule'. As for the Wiccan Rede, I'm not hugely familiar with it but AFAIK it's roughly the same? Both things would be compatible with most faiths you could think of, so don't limit yourself to Wicca because you agree with a couple of its creeds.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
Quote from: PlaceboArtist;57724
Jesus's teachings can be combined fairly easily with Paganism. You can also still go to church - I know of many atheists who attend church for the peacefulness of the services and the good social support network.

I'm afraid flaws with both of these statements.  The first is a gross misrepresentation of the teachings of the Old and New Testaments.  God is pretty clear that other gods are a no-no, period.  The second statement is profoundly disrespectful to the actual Christians who attend the OP's church.  Christianity of almost every stripe is very much not about just going through the motions.

Brina

Morphidae

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;57731
I'm afraid flaws with both of these statements.  The first is a gross misrepresentation of the teachings of the Old and New Testaments.  God is pretty clear that other gods are a no-no, period.  The second statement is profoundly disrespectful to the actual Christians who attend the OP's church.  Christianity of almost every stripe is very much not about just going through the motions.

Brina

Yeah, well, the God of the Old and New Testaments is also okay with stoning witches and slavery. It's not a black and white religion.

To the second point, I'm a pagan going to a Christian church. They know it and are quite fine with it. I go for the spirituality not the religion and the support structure. They don't beleive it is disrespectful in the slightest.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »
Quote from: Morphidae;57734
Yeah, well, the God of the Old and New Testaments is also okay with stoning witches and slavery. It's not a black and white religion.

The Ten Commandments are pretty black and white, and adhered to by (to the best of my knowledge) all Christian denominations.  People, of course, can and will do whatever they like.  I maintain one is playing fast and loose with the rules when one tries to have it both ways.

To the second point, I'm a pagan going to a Christian church. They know it and are quite fine with it. I go for the spirituality not the religion and the support structure. They don't beleive it is disrespectful in the slightest.

Your church leaders know that you worship other gods along with the Christian one and they're totally okay with it?  I'm really curious as to your denomination.

Brina

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://conjurewitchery.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »
I'm confused.  And that's probably a huge understatement.  I don't know where I fit into the Wide World of Paganism.  I don't know if I belong under that umbrella at all, to be honest.  (I explained that I've had a years-long attraction to Paganism in my introduction post.)

There are so many reasons for me to be hesitant to embrace this change, not the least of which is my Christian background...I'm very active in my church.  I still believe many biblical principles to be valid, but there are just as many that my conscience cannot adhere to anymore.  I'm also afraid of confusing my daughters, who have been raised in the Christian faith up to this point.  And quite frankly, I'm afraid of scaring my husband, who would think I'd gone off the deep end.  I would need to be very sure about my path before making the life-altering decision to change religions.  Maybe some of the knowledgeable minds around here can help me figure some things out.

2.  I believe in the power of herbs and Nature for healing...in essence, homeopathy, yet it is so much more!

For every question I answer, a hundred more seem to pop up...it's overwhelming!  I don't even know excactly what questions I'm trying to answer by posting this.  Help?

EarthMom, you are giving me ideas for my second blog post. If you have anything you would like me to address, please post it and I will try to either blog about it or respond here.
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

Egarwaen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;57735
Your church leaders know that you worship other gods along with the Christian one and they're totally okay with it?  I'm really curious as to your denomination.

The Unitarian Universalists are, at the very least, very... Er... Universal. However, whether they count as "Christian enough" or not is a matter of some debate.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
Quote from: Egarwaen;57741
The Unitarian Universalists are, at the very least, very... Er... Universal. However, whether they count as "Christian enough" or not is a matter of some debate.

The UU is, at most, nominally Christian in most areas (certainly here on the West Coast, where pretty much anything goes).  If Morphidae is UU, then I completely understand why her church doesn't mind her worshiping other gods.

Brina

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:18:08 pm »

Hello and welcome! I haven't been the introductions in a bit, so I'll say it here. Nice to meet you!

For #2 I think you mean herbalism not homeopathy. Science has debunked homeopathy over and over, but science relies upon herbalism frequently. Not the magic of it, but the medicinal and other qualities of herbs.

#7 I think this too. I believe supernatural and paranormal are simply as yet not understood and that one day most things will be.

I don't go to church but your post resonates with me in the confusion and the overwhelming nature of the myriad aspects to paganism. The pagan primer on the homepage of this site helped sort things a bit. I'm not at a place yet where I know for sure what path I am on, and I have no limitations (other than coming out to the local public at large ) about worship, ritual or any observance. All that is to say that even with a bit more freedom, a body can still be confused and overwhelmed so do't feel alone!

I've taken the advice I and others have received here from many and I read and keep reading. The more I do the less confused I am, but I'm still not clear about which path if any I am drawn to or is drawn to me. Animist is a term I looked into and for now it fits, but sometimes a deity fits too.

I think if you allow yourself some leeway in the confusion department and keep investigating, you'll at least be able to find things that interest you or don't. And that's a start. Maybe keep track of the questions you have too. Some may become unimportant and others might end up being the impetus for something wonderful.

Good luck to you!

Kessei

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Now I'm confused! :) Can you explain what you mean by this being "the real kicker"? The vast majority of neo-pagans I've met hold the same perspective on this that you describe.

Some people find their comfortable niche under the "umbrella" relatively quickly. Others of us take a lot longer to find a comfortable path, or bounce around, or build a path of our own.

Based on this description of your perspectives/believes, you can be confident saying you fit under that big umbrella somewhere if you feel it's where you belong.

If you're worried about the consequences of making a drastic change...then don't. Ease into things slowly and organically. Just continue developing your interests (like herbalism), pick up related interests and leave books lying around the house in inconspicuous places, talk to your husband about the neat/curious/confusing things you're reading, and eventually those new interests will develop into patterns that nobody really thinks too much about.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;57731

Brina

The gods worshipped was just a small portion of some pagan religions. Since they were polytheistic, it made perfect sense to begin worshiping a "stronger" god without worrying too much about abandoning/betraying old gods. So, chosing God as your only god isn't a deal breaker. It was the ways of life that were harder to let go of, such as sacrifice, magical healing, prophecy. All of these can and do exist in a Christian context. So, yeah, its possible to add pagan concept/superstitions in with a Christian deity.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

EarthMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:41 pm »
Quote from: PlaceboArtist;57724

This is all fairly close to what I believe. I call myself a Pantheist, if that's at all helpful in your search. Also, if you feel like explaining your position on gods and goddesses by PM I would be interested.

Afterlife as in going to another place or afterlife as in being reincarnated on earth? That can make a largish difference to which directions you might want to head in your search.

Most religions (and non-religious philosophies) have a guideline similar to the Threefold Law - a general 'don't be a dick or it'll come back to get you rule'. As for the Wiccan Rede, I'm not hugely familiar with it but AFAIK it's roughly the same? Both things would be compatible with most faiths you could think of, so don't limit yourself to Wicca because you agree with a couple of its creeds.

I'm a bit familiar with Pantheism, but I don't think it's for me.  I know that Jesus' teachings align well with much of Paganism, but I can't get past the rest of the Bible.  I agree with most of Christ's teachings, but there is so much in the OT that I can't seem to swallow.

My beliefs about the Myths are tough to explain...it's more just my opinion and intuition, but I will get you more info on that when I have some time :)

In regards to an afterlife, I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know what I believe.  All I know is that I don't think we stay dead in the ground for all eternity.  Well, not our souls anyway.

Thanks so much for your reply!  You've given me some things to think about!

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »
Okay, I now have time to go a bit more in depth than my first reply . . . Here goes!

In your introduction thread, we talked about reconciling Christianity with Paganism. Here is a link to a post on my blog about the issue and how I view it:

http://conjurewitchery.blogspot.com/2012/05/christian-folk-witchery-contradiction.html

Now, to emphasize and explain a bit with your original post.

There are so many reasons for me to be hesitant to embrace this change, not the least of which is my Christian background...I'm very active in my church.  I still believe many biblical principles to be valid, but there are just as many that my conscience cannot adhere to anymore.  I'm also afraid of confusing my daughters, who have been raised in the Christian faith up to this point.  And quite frankly, I'm afraid of scaring my husband, who would think I'd gone off the deep end.

I still go to Church and still believe many bibilical principles to be valid as well, and I also have many that I view as meant for a specific group of people at a specific time in the past and it is meant for us to learn from and find a way to apply it to our daily lives in this day and age. Right now, you need to let this be a studying point for you. Don't rush into this thinking that it will come quickly and that your husband and daughters will or won't agree/understand what develops as a result of your studying.

And regardless of what they may say when that time comes, I can assure you . . . You have not gone off the deep end. If we are to seek after knowledge and to follow Paul when he states, "Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you." (Douay-Rheims, Matthew 7:7)

Now let's look at your beliefs . . .

Agreed. I consider this being the Light of Christ that the Bible speaks of, all men are entitled to receive it if they seek after it. The Bible does state that God is not a respecter of persons, right? (Acts 10:34)

I agree with previous posters. I think you meant herbalism. Agreed. All things were placed upon the Earth and created by God for medicinal, healing, vegetative, and other purposes. Was man not created to be lord over all the Earth?

Personally, I can identify with this one. AGREED! For example, the Tuatha Dé Danann, were a race of people, not deities. The Lwas and Ghedes are spirits of humans who are not deities but assist mankind in learning more about God and themselves. Fairies, elves, leprechauns, ghosts, and other "mystical" creatures, again, not deity, IMHO.

Does this mean they are not Deity for other individuals? No. It just means that this is how I view them.

Definitely AGREE!

Those are subjective for me. I believe in the Golden Rule, but I also believe in standing for what I believe in, maintaining balance with the help of God and Spirit, and protecting those dear to me. I focus the majority of my efforts on helping and healing others, growing as an individual, and being close to God, but I do believe that God will help me in bringing down my enemies or those who seek to cause me or those I care for harm.

The potential does exist. There is much of the human mind and the spirit world that we do not understand just yet. We will continue to learn and grow and one day we will have the answers. In due time. God created all the laws of Science and who are we to be exempt from those laws?

You really just need to take it step by step. Rushing in too quick can cause stress. Learn, study, and grow. Ask questions. Ask God's help in finding the answers. Be open-minded. Take everything with a grain of salt. Find what works for you and allows you to be at peace.

Start at the beginning, find a specific focal point, such as meditation and communing with God . . . learn the methods, and go from there. Then move on to the next thing.

Hope this post helps you out a bit. :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:47:20 pm by ConjureWitchery »
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

EarthMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »
Quote from: ConjureWitchery;57736
EarthMom, you are giving me ideas for my second blog post. If you have anything you would like me to address, please post it and I will try to either blog about it or respond here.

Oh, there are so many things I would love to read about!  I guess my biggest issue, if I were to choose a path of any sort of Paganism, would be my "reputation" for lack of a better word.  Have others had success practicing in secret?  How does one "come out" about their Pagan beliefs to friends and family?  What have been others' reactions when they found out your beliefs?  Etc, etc, etc.  Just a few things I'd like to read about :)

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:09 pm »
Quote from: EarthMom;57811
Oh, there are so many things I would love to read about!  I guess my biggest issue, if I were to choose a path of any sort of Paganism, would be my "reputation" for lack of a better word.  Have others had success practicing in secret?  How does one "come out" about their Pagan beliefs to friends and family?  What have been others' reactions when they found out your beliefs?  Etc, etc, etc.  Just a few things I'd like to read about :)

I'm in the closet to many people. I will offer "services" to those who truly need it and are open-minded enough to receive it. I am a Christian, first and foremost, everything else is just an added bonus. Here's a scripture:

"But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee." (DRB Matthew 6:6)

There are some things that others do not need to know. It's not about being in or out of the Broom Closet. It is about doing what God has called you to do and doing it. Some may approve, some may not. If you are happy and doing the will of your God, then are you not doing that which is right unto God?
Deus Vobiscum!

Tags: