Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Magic Without Mirrors: The Making of a Magician  (Read 1717 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Magic Without Mirrors: The Making of a Magician
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:49:47 pm »
{alt}
Title: Magic Without Mirrors: The Making of a Magician
Author(s): David Conway
Published 2011 by CreateSpace
ISBN: 1463761724
ISBN-13: 978-1463761721
Paperback, 336 pages
List: $21.95
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

For a large number of individuals of a certain age, Magic:  An Occult Primer was the introduction to the world of magick.  At the time there wasn't a whole lot of information about the author available.  In the intervening years The Magic of Herbs and Secret Wisdom: The Occult Universe Explored were also produced by the same author, but without (to my knowledge) as much acceptance and fanfare.

This book is essentially Mr. Conway's autobiography.  It is filled with amusing anecdotes and enlightening background information.  It also contains snippets of magickal information as well, though that is not its primary purpose.

His reminiscences include family stories and remembrances from family friends about some of the individuals who were the "movers and shakers" of the occult movement in the early years of the 20th century, as well as lesser known (or even unknown) people who helped him to learn about magick.

If you want lots of information about the arts magickal, this is NOT the book for you; if you want to know about the personal life of one of the more influential writers  in the magickal field in the late middle part of the past century, this is a good book for you.

There are incidents which may seem too unbelievable to be real.  And, quite honestly, I have trouble believing them.  My belief, however, is conditioned by my own life experiences, and since I don't share his life experiences I am not in a position to pass judgment on them.  The book is entertaining and informative, in a chatty, over-the-back- fence, kind of way.  The lives and actions of some of the "big names" in the occult movement are slightly fleshed out although, once again, that isn't the primary focus of this book.

Folks who have been reading my reviews for a few years know that one of my on-going regrets is that there are very few biographies and autobiographies available concerning the people who helped to bring the occult movement in general (and magick and Witchcraft in particular) into general tolerance.  This is one small brick in a memorial wall, if you will, which needs to be constructed before more of the members of that generation pass over to the other side of the veil.  I am pleased to see this book (as well as a number of others, coming at this time.

Even if magick is not your primary interest; even if you think you know everything you need to know about the relationship between the "real world" and the "magickal world"; I think you will find this book interesting.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: