Last Online
    20 Apr 2015 @ 11:34 AM
    Country
    Netherlands
    Religion
    Hellenismos

Figures for Sympathetic Magick

Hello all,

I'm not a big magick practicioner but I do use sympathetic magick on occasion. I've been using wire to make figureens but I've become a bit fed up with the method. I'm looking for a new substance to use, like clay or wax.

I would like to ask those practicing sympthetic magick what they use for figureens and how long those substances keep. I'm really looking for something which keeps for a while because I want a peice in my portable altar as well. Plus, like I said, I practise magick very sporadically.

Where do you buy the substance you use? I feel I should try out wax anyway but I don't know where to find white wax which you can mould when kneeding. Anyone any ideas? Especially those in The Netherlands?

Thanks so much in advance!

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Liadine (dragonflyeyes) has a spectacular aura about Liadine (dragonflyeyes) has a spectacular aura about Liadine (dragonflyeyes)'s Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Nov 2015 @ 10:55 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Hard polytheist, fire worker, and feral witch

Re: Figures for Sympathetic Magick

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWitchMagazine View Post
    Hello all,

I'm not a big magick practicioner but I do use sympathetic magick on occasion. I've been using wire to make figureens but I've become a bit fed up with the method. I'm looking for a new substance to use, like clay or wax.
    I don't make figurines that often, but when I do I tend to use a mixture of flour, any appropriate herbs, and just enough water so that I can mold it into whatever shape I want. As long as you don't use much water, you can dry it out easily by just putting it in a warm oven for a while.

That's not that useful for travel, though. Maybe blue or white tac (the kind used for hanging posters) would also work, come to think of it. It's not very easy to mold precisely, but it doesn't dry out and is relatively cheap.
    We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
    But we'll stand tall, we'll dance them down [Vienna Teng]
    night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I would like to ask those practicing sympthetic magick what they use for figureens and how long those substances keep. I'm really looking for something which keeps for a while because I want a peice in my portable altar as well. Plus, like I said, I practise magick very sporadically.
    I tend to use clay as it is easy to get at hobby/art stores (at least in the US). Two of the most interest ways of making poppets I've seen are rags and balloons. I'd think the balloons would be great if the spell is destructive as you can pop the poppet with a pin.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Vale will become famous soon enough Vale's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Aug 2015 @ 12:28 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Far far away

Where do you buy the substance you use? I feel I should try out wax anyway but I don't know where to find white wax which you can mould when kneeding. Anyone any ideas? Especially those in The Netherlands?

I'm happiest using textiles so I use plain ordinary felt ( for preference). "Gingerbread man" shapes are easy to cut out and can be stuck or sewn together. I usually have some blanks lying around that I can empower as and when needed - just leave a gap in the head to stuff with appropriate herbs etc.

Banned Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    monsnoleedra is on a distinguished road monsnoleedra's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Sep 2012 @ 04:10 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shamanic & Green/hedge Witchcraft

Hello all,

For me it really depends.

If it is to be a corn dolly type thing I use actual corn stalks and, leaves and the lace from the ear of corn itself. If not corn then some other type of plant that is easily weaveable of pliable so is easy to work with. Cattails actually are relativley easy to work with. The corn dolly type figures last quite a while, espcially if one is really skilled at weaving the stalk materials.

If it is more of a construct type item then I tend to use potatoes or soft soap for carving and figuring. Potatoes work really well for placing a time line upon it and allowing the natural decay to give it a decay time. Soap is also an easy item to work with if it is a soft soap. I've had various results with different types of soaps so that one is sort of a hit or miss with regards to a particular brand.

If I use wax it's because i'm creating a voudon type poppet more so than just a general poppet associated with spell work. Then it will also include fingernails, hair, perhaps a drop of blood or even a piece of skin. Though to be honest this type is more malicious in nature.

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry's Avatar
    Last Online
    1 Apr 2015 @ 06:33 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Earth-honoring pantheism

I make a lot of semi-permanent clay/sand poppets and figures for a variety of things (offerings, display pieces, and, albeit rarely, bindings). The ones I want to last a while I coat with a combination of beeswax and citrus essential oils. I use citrus oils because they're cheap, biodegradable, and make a great thinner for the wax (helps it penetrate the surface and protect it). They also smell nice.

Where do you buy the substance you use?
    My husband's a potter, so we always have a variety of naturally colored clays around. I also build with cob, and we keep a fairly large quantity of "blue goo" (our native gumbotil clay) on hand. I also harvest clay when I see it on walks. You can often find it oozing out of road cuts or stream banks. You don't need pure clay, either, just soil with a high clay content. You might even be able to find it by digging a hole in your yard.

Brina
    Last edited by yewberry; 27 May 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Bad linkage.

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

Great input already.
    I just want to add, that if the spell requires burning, I make a rather little doll out of kitchen paper and wax.
    'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
    Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance.
    You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
    All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.'
    Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

Confuzzled and proud.

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry's Avatar
    Last Online
    1 Apr 2015 @ 06:33 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Earth-honoring pantheism

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    Two of the most interest ways of making poppets I've seen are rags and balloons. I'd think the balloons would be great if the spell is destructive as you can pop the poppet with a pin.
    Balloons. Now that's really interesting. And biodegradable.

Brina

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Rhyshadow will become famous soon enough Rhyshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Aug 2013 @ 05:23 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Irish-Gaelic path with a twist

Quote Originally Posted by yewberry View Post
    Balloons. Now that's really interesting. And biodegradable.

Brina
    If you can find it, or something like it over there, this stuff is great for a variety of things

Celluclay

Journeyman Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Erinnightwalker is on a distinguished road Erinnightwalker's Avatar
    Last Online
    19 Sep 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Potato Salad

Salt dough. My mom made it for cheap sculpting stuff when I was a kid. You mold it, let it air-dry, and then bake it. As long as you don't get it super-wet, it won't mold. If you're patient you can get it into pretty damn fine details and whatever dries out can easily have water added to it and be reused.

And once you're done with the piece, it can be burned, buried, thrown into a river, etc. (though if you're going for the non-burnt disposal, I'd be careful to color it only with non-toxic things.) It can also have things like herbs, stones, and oven-proof gewgaws pressed or kneaded into for extra oomph.
    The Nightwalking Hedgehog
    I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you've always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I'll see what I can do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast