Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: books on druid tree magic  (Read 4745 times)

redheadedmomma

• View Profile
books on druid tree magic
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:12 am »
I recently purchased 2 books by Ellen E. Hopman.  A druid's herbal for the sacred earth year and A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine.  Any thought's on her books?  Her research?

Thanks,
Redheadedmomma

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: books on druid tree magic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »
Quote from: redheadedmomma;54920
I recently purchased 2 books by Ellen E. Hopman.  A druid's herbal for the sacred earth year and A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine.  Any thought's on her books?  Her research?

Thanks,
Redheadedmomma

I've yet to read a bad review about her. She used to teach online classes at the Grey Wizard school.

She has her own website, which is her name elleneverthopman.com.

She co-authored People of the Earth which was a popular book to read back in the day. Also an older book Tree Medicine Tree Magic.

There are really no bad reviews about her and her research seems to hold up. I would recommend her, as a fellow herbalist.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:08:19 pm by Agonistes »

Michael

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:30 pm »

Thanks,
Redheadedmomma

"By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism" by D.J. Conway is a very good and comprehensive introduction to basics and some more involved ideas and practices of Druid magic. I am vaguely familiar with "A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine" as I used to read from it occasionally while waiting for classes to begin or just killing time at a nearby pagan shop,though I've never owned a copy. What I remember of it I do like though and would consider it a worthy source of knowledge to apply to ritual of significant or day-to-day nature.
     One part that I seem to recall standing out was the very detailed description for the "proper" way to harvest certain things such as holly or mistletoe for ritual use. Leaning more toward the reconstructionist views of Druidry I appreciate as authentic as possible information on that sort of thing,which I would say is largely intact in "A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine". If I've confused that last bit with another book I apologize;the owner of the shop was a friend and his bookshelves and private collection at the shop became my personal library for a while so some things are a bit blurred together...

redheadedmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
Quote from: Michael;55039
"By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism" by D.J. Conway is a very good and comprehensive introduction to basics and some more involved ideas and practices of Druid magic. I am vaguely familiar with "A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine" as I used to read from it occasionally while waiting for classes to begin or just killing time at a nearby pagan shop,though I've never owned a copy. What I remember of it I do like though and would consider it a worthy source of knowledge to apply to ritual of significant or day-to-day nature.
     One part that I seem to recall standing out was the very detailed description for the "proper" way to harvest certain things such as holly or mistletoe for ritual use. Leaning more toward the reconstructionist views of Druidry I appreciate as authentic as possible information on that sort of thing,which I would say is largely intact in "A druid's herbal of sacred tree medicine". If I've confused that last bit with another book I apologize;the owner of the shop was a friend and his bookshelves and private collection at the shop became my personal library for a while so some things are a bit blurred together...

Thanks for the feedback.  She does talk about the proper way to harvest what you need. I also need to check out "Tree medicine , Tree magic".

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:31 pm »
Quote from: Michael;55039

I strongly disagree with the recommendation of anything by D.J. Conway for someone following a Druidic path. It's Neo-Wicca with knotwork scribbled on it. I was not impressed. Not as bad as Silver Ravenwolf, but still part of the reason that Llewellyn has a reputation for publishing drek.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:15:38 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;55344
I strongly disagree with the recommendation of anything by D.J. Conway for someone following a Druidic path. It's Neo-Wicca with knotwork scribbled on it. I was not impressed. Not as bad as Silver Ravenwolf, but still part of the reason that Llewellyn has a reputation for publishing drek.

I have to echo Stephy here, Conway has imbued her books with massive amounts of Wicca-ish content.  While there are bits and pieces scattered through that have a basis in reality, separating the 'wheat from the chaff' is an exercise in massive 'head-desking'.

I'd go with writings from the acknowledge scholars in the field of Celtic history and practice; Miranda Green, Dáithí Ó hÓgáin and Sharon Pace MacLeod are three than I can recommend.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:39:00 pm »

There's a slightly deeper issue with any popular press titles of the "Celtic" ilk.  We don't know much about the Celts.  And the vast majority of the specifics regarding their ritual use of plants are utterly lost.  Because of this, most of what's written on this topic is speculative, even among academics.

Brina

Michael

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
I strongly disagree with the recommendation of anything by D.J. Conway for someone following a Druidic path. It's Neo-Wicca with knotwork scribbled on it.

Hah, that's one way to put it. I agree it would be more appealing and useful to someone more on the romantic revivalist side of Druidry,which does draw much from modern Wiccan practices. I found it at least interesting even with my strong leaning towards reconstructionist ways of thinking. If I think of any more particurlarly good ones I will post,but for some reason I'm drawing a blank at the moment...

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

Thanks,
Redheadedmomma

I have those two books and I find them useful, particularly if your path uses herbalism more in it than they can be useful.  I hope that helps you out :)

JovesChild

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:37:39 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;55379

I'd go with writings from the acknowledge scholars in the field of Celtic history and practice; Miranda Green, Dáithí Ó hÓgáin and Sharon Pace MacLeod are three than I can recommend.

Have you been able to source any books by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin that are more accessible than the 90-300 USD range?? Shyte... wish my local library was more expansive to assist there.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. ~ Keller

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:53:41 am »
Quote from: JovesChild;75029
Have you been able to source any books by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin that are more accessible than the 90-300 USD range?? Shyte... wish my local library was more expansive to assist there.

Not really - since he was a University Professor, his books; which are the culmination of his research; are fairly expensive

If your library is connected to others, and allows loans between libraries, that might be the only way to go

Here in Minnesota, they have MNLink - which allows loans between library systems - the copy of The Sacred Isle that I borrowed from the county library actually came from one of the local colleges

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
Quote from: JovesChild;75029

Try Amazon's used book sellers and Abe Books.  I've found his books at much more reasonable prices that way.

_The Sacred Isle_ is one of my faves and definitely worth the read if you're interested in pre-Christian Ireland.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75030

Here in Minnesota, they have MNLink - which allows loans between library systems - the copy of The Sacred Isle that I borrowed from the county library actually came from one of the local colleges

This book sounds like a must read, here in michigan we have Melcat for inter-library loan, so I will definitely be searching for this one, thanks for the info.:)

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »

Thanks,
Redheadedmomma

These two books are also on my to be read list, I have read her book"being a pagan, druids, wiccans, and witches today" and found some very informative thoughts and ideas.:)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:37 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75030
Not really - since he was a University Professor, his books; which are the culmination of his research; are fairly expensive

If your library is connected to others, and allows loans between libraries, that might be the only way to go

As Jenett said Amazon.com usually has some pretty good used deals I scored his Irish Superstitions, The Celts: A History, and The Sacred Isle for a very reasonable price from sellers. (Full disclosure: I work for amazon lol.) Abe Books and I think... Alibris? if that's still around can be good too I used to get textbooks from them when I was in community college

Add on, as has been said already there is no literal source for Druid tree magic because they didn't write down their history and lore it was an oral (aural? :P)  culture. If you want more info on what *is* known and the history of what we call Druids (this includes fraternal organizations that were/are areligious or Christian) I highly recommend Blood and Mistletoe by Hutton.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:55:03 am by Asch »

Tags: