collapse

Author Topic: Gods/Goddesses.  (Read 6245 times)

Ragnarson92

• View Profile
Gods/Goddesses.
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:49:16 am »
Do you see them as literal beings, with physical bodies and the like, who control things such as Thunder and Wisdom. Or just something to explain nature.

(Sorry its so badly worded, can't think of a better way to put it.)

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Gods/Goddesses.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
Quote from: Ragnarson92;54891
Do you see them as literal beings, with physical bodies and the like, who control things such as Thunder and Wisdom. Or just something to explain nature.

I consider them literal beings... In fact I see my gods whenever I sacrifice to their idols.

ccam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

I see the Gods as literally existing, maybe not with physical bodies on Mt. Olympus or Valhalla, but definitely as distinct beings with their own likes and dislikes.

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:58 pm »

Perhaps not in a human-like body as we perceive them, I think most people place the gods in human form so we can better understand them. They sure seem to be different personalities with different likes and dislikes.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »
Do you see them as literal beings, with physical bodies and the like, ...

Yes. I don't believe they exist on or in Earth. I believe their 'realms' are on another plane.

Or just something to explain nature.

I would say can use natural items like lightning, thunder, etc. I don't think they created them or explain them. Science does that just fine.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »
Do you see them as literal beings,

Yes

with physical bodies and the like

Some are in the trees, the mountains, in spirit, or sometimes take human form, or live within idols.

who control things such as Thunder and Wisdom.

Control?...maybe utilize would be better.

Or just something to explain nature.

Yes
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »

I consider them literal being with their very own personalities. I think they can assume physical bodies if they need to, but probably more like spiritual bodies. I think they can have influence on the natural world if they really need to, but i don;t think they interfere that much with the cycle of things.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

PrincessBurrito

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:42:44 am »

I see them as literal beings, with physical bodies and everything.
I think they exist in a parallel universe or a dimension that crosses over with ours (hence why some people see things others cant.

If you want to know why thunderstorms occur, I'd suggest you pick up an encyclopedia or a credible scientific source.
Things like God of Thunder, doesn't mean that Thor's literally smashing giants in Jotunheim, creating thunder and lightning, it's just a symbol.
You wouldn't symbolize Thor with flowers and perfume because that just isn't Thor... it's not what he's like. Nor would he appreciate it if you decorated his alter with glitter and pink roses.

Huscarl

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:18:51 pm »

I have another question about gods/goddesses to add to yours.

Hi I am a newcomer that is interested in Anglo-Saxon heathenry.  All of this is new to me :-).

I was wondering, although that all heathens are polythiestic, do you pray to a god or goddess more than the others.  Or are they all honoured equally?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »
Quote from: Huscarl;62649
I have another question about gods/goddesses to add to yours.

Hi I am a newcomer that is interested in Anglo-Saxon heathenry.  All of this is new to me :-).

I was wondering, although that all heathens are polythiestic, do you pray to a god or goddess more than the others.  Or are they all honoured equally?

It depends. I honor them collectively  sometimes and also honor a specific individual at other times.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »

No, I don't think the gods are actual beings walking around somewhere. I see them as symbolic manifestations of the unknowable divine power in forms we can recognize and relate to. At least, that's how I see the "creator" gods. Many deities are personifications of various aspects of nature, as well as abstract concepts like victory or peace.

Paradoxum

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:00:36 pm »

I don't know how exactly to describe it but feel like they could portray themselves as they wanted like human or "larger than life".
A soldier doesn\'t fight because he hates the enemy in front of him. He fights because he loves what he left behind.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;54926
I consider them literal beings... In fact I see my gods whenever I sacrifice to their idols.

When I pray at my altar and give offerings to Odin and Loki, who they are in wood or stone is exactly how I vision them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:23:01 pm by FollowerofOdin »

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »

Each is a physical individual, as someone else said - not on this plane, but elsewhere.

They visit from time to time - not in the flesh but in visions and dreams.

As far as the second question posed - while I work with various ones at different times, my places for Brighid and Oghma occupy my main altar space - the ones I work with more than others have spots on shelves above that. The ones I rarely work with I have items usually stored away

On the major fest days (Imbolc, Bealtaine, Lughnasadh and Samhain) I do pay honor to the entire Tuatha De' Dannan, the rest of the time it's my two mains every day and the other working partners at need or occasionally just a "hi, how are you" when the mood strikes me

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »

Absolutely. I am not sure that their "physical body" is what we see as physical. I think they can take many forms as needed.

I also don't think that they control the elements as in every time you hear thunder it is a God doing it. I think they utilized elements and emotions etc.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Tags: