Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What's around your neck?  (Read 42434 times)

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What's around your neck?
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »
I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but this was the best fit.

Many people wear a necklace or other piece of jewellery as a symbol of their faith/beliefs. If you have symbolic religious necklace or whatever jewellery that you wear every day or nearly every day - what is it, and how does it symbolise your religion to you?

I wear a labrys, which is a double bladed axe. It is used as a symbol of Paganism in Greece, as well as by heavy metal fans (so really it's a lot like a pentacle in Britain/America). Upright (blades towards the top) it was used as a symbol of order by the Romans, and my labrys is the other way up, symbolising my connection with Chaos Magick. Its shape vaguely reminds me of a cross, so it's a tiny nod to my Christian origins. It is also similar to a Thor's Hammer, which is a connection I like as well. Lastly, it's a symbol of my sexuality.

Over to you!

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's around your neck?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:22:03 pm »
Quote from: PlaceboArtist;53277

Many people wear a necklace or other piece of jewellery as a symbol of their faith/beliefs. If you have symbolic religious necklace or whatever jewellery that you wear every day or nearly every day - what is it, and how does it symbolise your religion to you?

I wear a labrys, which is a double bladed axe. It is used as a symbol of Paganism in Greece, as well as by heavy metal fans (so really it's a lot like a pentacle in Britain/America). Upright (blades towards the top) it was used as a symbol of order by the Romans, and my labrys is the other way up, symbolising my connection with Chaos Magick. Its shape vaguely reminds me of a cross, so it's a tiny nod to my Christian origins. It is also similar to a Thor's Hammer, which is a connection I like as well. Lastly, it's a symbol of my sexuality.

Over to you!

a Scorpio zodiac related thingy on a black string that might break anyday now.
before that it was a Mexican days of the dead skull that I wore till it fell off,then I wore the skull in my hair(I have things I wear in the ends of my dreads by safety pins)
before that it was a Mexican days of the dead coffin with flowers on it that opened on a hinge with a wee skelly inside.
before that it was a silver peice with the rune for the tree of my birth month on it(now a hair dangly)
I wear one thing around my neck till basically the string or chain or claspe or loop breaks,lol.

all are generally related to my beliefs without being overtly pagan.

my staple jewlery that I consider related to my worship etc is:
a silver bracelet cuff with native wolf art on it.
a lil black and metal snake bracelet.
a silver pentagram ring that found me.

the most obvious one I guess is the pentagram,but no ones ever sed boo about it.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:32:52 pm »

Over to you!
I wear a Triquetra around my neck, which is a Celtic Pagan symbol for eternity.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:00:48 pm »

Over to you!

I wear a piece of larimar (a native Caribbean stone in a beautiful light blue color, lighter than turquoise with white veins, also called dolphin stone) in honor of Manannan mac Lir, and a silver raven pendant in honor of the Morrigan. I also wear an amber ring for Brighid, and sometimes a pair of lightning earrings for Lugh.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

I wear a interlaced pentacle I found at a bazaar in Wexford. It has little to do with the mainstream Hellenic religion, but Pythagoras and such regarded it as a blessing. I usually refer to it as my Hugieia, which is the "Greek pentagram." Of course, this is an over-simplification and I apologize for not being in-depth.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

Over to you!

During the work week I wear a small gem cage on a chain with several little stones in it for specific purposes. I look at the week ahead and plan the cages (I have a few of them) according to what I think I'll need. I load them up, bless them and then wear them as the coming day would indicate needs wise. I keep all of them on chains and in a box on a counter ready to put on as the last thing before I pack lunch and go.

I started doing it to see if gem stones had any effect at all. They did. I took notes after wearing and found good combos for my purposes. Now I wear them almost every day unless I am working in the gardens or riding the bike.

People seem to like them when I wear them on the outside of my tops and give me compliments. This is funny to me as I do not wear them for aesthetics and they're pretty plain. But I chalk it up to the stones. The do have a way of drawing people's attention.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »

I wear a small silver Brighid's cross all the time. When I find the right pendants, I will add one for Hetharu and one for Hekate to the same chain, as they are the Star Cow, who has been with me since the beginning. (I would explain but I am too tired to be concise at the moment, and it's not that interesting to anyone but me, honestly.)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:28 pm »
how does it symbolise your religion to you?

Over to you!

I forgot to answer this part. They are from the earth and their energies or transmissions of energies symbolize my love of the all.

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:31:11 am »

Over to you!

I don't wear any because, alas, I am highly allergic to pretty much all metals! On really bad days even things like aluminum cans and my own silverware can affect my skin. It's a serious pain in the ass! I'm not even gonna be able to wear a wedding band when I get married later this month.

I have been seriously considering making some of my own jewelry, tho. I've never worked with beads but I bet I could learn how. I can wood carve, so I've been thinking about maybe making myself some wooden rings. I'm not sure what all I could do, but I bet I could come up with something.

Something else I plan on doing is tattoos. I don't have any yet due to lack of money, but when I have saved up I plan to get several small tats, and some of them will tie in with my faith.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:21 am »

I wear a silver pentagram, which symbolises the pagan aspects of my faith, and the elements. It's not the standard four + spirit sort of thing, though. My symbolism is a bit more complicated and has more numbers and such (0, 1, 4, 5, 9 and 10). But it's wholly mine, and I know what it means, even if no one else does.

I also have a silver ankh and a feather, for my Kemetic path. The ankh symbolises life, and the feather, 'ma'at', though it isn't a proper Ma'at feather, just a silver feather. It reminds me to keep Ma'at in mind with everything I do.

The only other thing I wear is a St Michael pendant. It was sent to me, unexpectedly, by a friend some years ago. I don't wear it for religious reasons, though. I just wear it for her. She used to work with St Michael a lot, so for me, it reminds me of her. I'd pick Mary or another saint or Angel if I was picking one for myself.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 07:22:12 am »

For me this is more theory than practice, as I have to REMEMBER to put it on before I leave the house!  (usually I have a hard time remembering my PURSE, which is bad because that's where my keys are!)

But I have a little flame symbol which FierFlye designed that I wear to remind me of the Divine and our interconnection, an amber sunburst for my Beloved, and my wedding ring.  The ring doesn't have any symbolism other than marriage, I just can't wear it on my finger 'cause it sets off my carpal tunnel.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:03:32 am »
If you have symbolic religious necklace or whatever jewellery that you wear every day or nearly every day - what is it, and how does it symbolise your religion to you?

I don't wear a necklace everyday, and when I do I don't wear the same one, but I have a few that I pick depending on what I am going to do that day or what I feel I need.

I have a small pentacle necklace that I have had since pretty much the beginning of my studies.  When I first got it, I wasn't comfortable wearing it openly, so for quite a while I wore it on a cord tied around my ankle, where I knew I had it on but it mostly wasn't visible.  

I have a small yin yang that was given to me by a friend.  Balance is very important for me, I have a strong tendency to get kind of obsessive over things.  It has cultural ties for me as well, and even though I wasn't raised with a lot of Chinese influence, the little I got was important to me.

I used to have a small leather pouch that I wore that held objects that were important to me, from stones to small parts of pictures, to a clipping of my own hair.  I wore it until the leather thong that it hangs from is on the verge of breaking.  I didn't have any luck finding a new bag that I liked, but I made a new one with a small metal pill case (the kind that is waterproof and made to hang off a key chain).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Razoth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:36 am »

I wear a double-twined-snakes symbol, which is based off of some of the serpent/dragon designs at the Urnes Stav Church, to symbolize my devotion to Loki.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
What's around your neck?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:55 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;53367
I don't wear any because, alas, I am highly allergic to pretty much all metals! On really bad days even things like aluminum cans and my own silverware can affect my skin. It's a serious pain in the ass! I'm not even gonna be able to wear a wedding band when I get married later this month.

I have been seriously considering making some of my own jewelry, tho. I've never worked with beads but I bet I could learn how. I can wood carve, so I've been thinking about maybe making myself some wooden rings. I'm not sure what all I could do, but I bet I could come up with something.

Something else I plan on doing is tattoos. I don't have any yet due to lack of money, but when I have saved up I plan to get several small tats, and some of them will tie in with my faith.

If you are that allergic to metals, tattoos are a terrible idea, for much the same reason that people with tattoos can't get MRIs. Even if your artist uses vegetable inks instead if inks containing metal oxides, there is still a small possibility of tiny needle fragments being left in your skin. I'm not anti-tattoo--I have 4--but if you tell the kind of artist you'd want to be tattooed by that you have that kind of metal allergy, s/he will probably refuse.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:49 am »

Over to you!

I wear a tree of life scent locket around my neck almost every day. Religiously the tree of life symbolizes a lot. The tree is thought to connect the heavens and the underworld and it symbolizes resurrection, rebirth, spirituality,  growth, and immortality.  Honestly, I have always been drawn to and felt connected with trees. That bond was made stronger with somethings that have happened to me. I wear it for what it symbolizes in my life: strength and rebirth.
As I said, it's a scent locket. I have blessed it and fill it for luck and protection.

Tags: