Vale will become famous soon enough Vale's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Dec 2014 @ 12:45 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Far far away

Piercing - rirual and magical

I came across the following the other day which has piqued my interest. I've never met anyone other than myself with a daith piercing.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Daith

This obviously isn't a very reputable source but the reference to the guardians of the date and the protective influence of rings is very interesting and does answer a few questiions of mine.

I've attended many Hindu ituals in the past ( including some fairly extreme ones - suspension on hooks through the flesh) but it was a long time ago and I was too young to understand what was really going on.

Does anyone have any better sources on some of these Hindu practices and beliefs?

Thanks if you can help

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Annie Roonie will become famous soon enough Annie Roonie's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 08:46 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Witch

Re: Piercing - rirual and magical

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    Does anyone have any better sources on some of these Hindu practices and beliefs?

Thanks if you can help
    Since the day I first explored the tree I have been fascinated with that sort of non-spot-everything-spot on it. have had no time to dig though. Also had no idea of a physical counterpart like this. Interesting!

I don't have anything but Google fu (as I have read it called). I searched for Hindu ritual ordeals and came up with a bunch of different stuff including some of the northern pagan path ordeals. I didn't visit any links but noted that two rituals were in frequent appearance: the Hindu Kavandi ceremony and something called "the ball dances."

There are more devotional ordeal descriptions when I searched the Kavandi ceremony, perhaps that would lead to more sources. At first glance it sounds intense.

It kind of reminds me of Matthew Polly's book about his time with Shaolin monks, American Shaolin, it includes some pics of their "ordeals" but I think for them they seemed more like, devotional feats. Also the some of the stories about the life of Buddha and his ordeals came to mind.

None of that may have helped. Sorry!

Staff
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    19 Dec 2014 @ 11:22 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    I came across the following the other day which has piqued my interest. I've never met anyone other than myself with a daith piercing.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Daith

This obviously isn't a very reputable source but the reference to the guardians of the date and the protective influence of rings is very interesting and does answer a few questiions of mine.

I've attended many Hindu ituals in the past ( including some fairly extreme ones - suspension on hooks through the flesh) but it was a long time ago and I was too young to understand what was really going on.

Thanks if you can help
    I've a book suggestion for you; although it isn't Hindu-specific, Dark Moon Rising by Raven Kaldera contains a lot of information and essays by people on ordeal paths. I've found it extremely valuable.
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Far far away

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Roonie View Post

None of that may have helped. Sorry!
    On the contrary - thank you. This has triggered quite a few more memories from what I've seen in the past and I realise why they were repressed. Some of the images and associated emotions with them are not very pleasant; I was too young and didn't understand what I was seeing. It has obviously left a mark I hadn't noticed.

Looks like I have some work to do as there is probably more buried for me to re-examine from an educated adult perspective and importantly to make some use of in the future

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Far far away

Quote Originally Posted by veggiewolf View Post
    I've a book suggestion for you; although it isn't Hindu-specific, Dark Moon Rising by Raven Kaldera contains a lot of information and essays by people on ordeal paths. I've found it extremely valuable.

More thanks - I've just ordered a copy from Amazon

+ Reply to Thread