Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Florida Water: its broad magical application?  (Read 14748 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Florida Water: its broad magical application?
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »
I recently asked someone fairly BNP on Tumblr what Florida Water was. Or more, what it's used for in magic practice. My Google searches had brought me no information about magic uses about what, I assume, is basically cologne. Unless there's a different, special, magical Florida Water, which I can't find at all in Google.

Anyway, the result was a) no useful information and b) a passive-aggressive post about how I'm a n00b who can't use Google, and so before I set Tumblr on fire I figured I'd ask here.

It's not super relevant to my practice (at least I don't think it is; but as I don't know what Florida Water is used for I can't really say), but at this point I'm just really confused and curious.

So do any magic practitioners here use Florida Water? What for? Is it cologne? Why is it so popular?

Thanks in advance,
-Morag
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Water: its broad magical application?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
Quote from: Morag;51883
So do any magic practitioners here use Florida Water? What for? Is it cologne? Why is it so popular?

Thanks in advance,
-Morag

Lucky Mojo has a page for it here. Here's a about it.

I have seen it sold along with Santeria supplies as well.  I also recall it being used as a general sheet and house spray before the days of Febreze.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:30:43 pm by Annie Roonie »

LiminalAuggie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »

It's not super relevant to my practice (at least I don't think it is; but as I don't know what Florida Water is used for I can't really say), but at this point I'm just really confused and curious.

Thanks in advance,
-Morag

I haven't used any Florida Water (yet) but as far as I can tell, people use it for just about everything. It smells good, supposedly, and maybe has luck-drawing properties. I'm seeing "cleansing" and "refreshing" tossed around a lot, along with associations with the Fountain of Youth. It's a dilute eau de cologne, I guess?

Seems like an all-purpose sort of thing to me. If it's diluted enough I guess the scent is not overpowering so one could sprinkle it anywhere for a little extra "nice" oomph. I may try some one day, it seems like an "eh it can't hurt, why not" sort of deal, even if you just keep it for completely mundane use.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »

Anyway, the result was a) no useful information and b) a passive-aggressive post about how I'm a n00b who can't use Google, and so before I set Tumblr on fire I figured I'd ask here.

I have no idea about the water, but I've seen this particular phenomenon before.  You couldn't find info and asked somebody you thought would know.  They didn't, and couldn't just say so  (a common side effect of a certain level of almost-fame, if I'm parsing 'fairly BNP' correctly) so they got snotty.  Maybe a little understandable if you didn't make it clear you had searched, like you did here, but still rude.

Basically, your mistake for thinking they might know more than you do.  Oops.:)

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »
I recently asked someone fairly BNP on Tumblr what Florida Water was. Or more, what it's used for in magic practice. My Google searches had brought me no information about magic uses about what, I assume, is basically cologne. Unless there's a different, special, magical Florida Water, which I can't find at all in Google.

Thanks in advance,
-Morag

It's a cologne made from kalanga flowers. It's used commonly in US and Latin American folk magic, as a cleanser and purifier, including adding it to ritual baths. The cologne that you're finding through Google is the same stuff that's used magically, just that it's no longer used commonly as a personal fragrance. You can get it at basically any botanica or Latin market. I don't understand why anyone would be snotty about passing that along to you--if you're not working in a folk magic trad, it isn't something you'd necessarily be familiar with.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:51 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;51885

I have seen it sold along with Santeria supplies as well.  I also recall it being used as a general sheet and house spray before the days of Febreze.

Ah. Thank you. That explains it quite well.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:45:31 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;51889
I have no idea about the water, but I've seen this particular phenomenon before.  You couldn't find info and asked somebody you thought would know.  They didn't, and couldn't just say so  (a common side effect of a certain level of almost-fame, if I'm parsing 'fairly BNP' correctly) so they got snotty.  Maybe a little understandable if you didn't make it clear you had searched, like you did here, but still rude.

Absent

Yep. :) I figured at least they could have said "Did you not try searching for it?" at which point I would have said, "No, actually, I did, still confused, help please." My not mentioning my original search was a brain fart; not malice aforethought or trolling.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:46:44 am »
Quote from: LiminalAuggie;51887
Seems like an all-purpose sort of thing to me. If it's diluted enough I guess the scent is not overpowering so one could sprinkle it anywhere for a little extra "nice" oomph. I may try some one day, it seems like an "eh it can't hurt, why not" sort of deal, even if you just keep it for completely mundane use.

*nod* If I ever feel the need to use something like it I'll probably just make my own; then I'll have more control over the scents used.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:48:02 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;51911
It's a cologne made from kalanga flowers. It's used commonly in US and Latin American folk magic, as a cleanser and purifier, including adding it to ritual baths. The cologne that you're finding through Google is the same stuff that's used magically, just that it's no longer used commonly as a personal fragrance. You can get it at basically any botanica or Latin market. I don't understand why anyone would be snotty about passing that along to you--if you're not working in a folk magic trad, it isn't something you'd necessarily be familiar with.

Thank you!

And yeah, I didn't really understand either...I was beginning to wonder if it was oathbound info or something. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:43 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;51889

:thup:
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:21 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;51885

A quick look at the recipies tells me, that making it, will be a rather expensive fun.
Neroli and rose oil (if you go for the real stuff, which one should) are amongst the priciest essential oils you can buy.

A focus on lavender and some cheaper citrus smells would be an alternative.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:49 am »

Thanks in advance,
-Morag

In addition to what you already know, it's used as an offering for certain of the Lwa.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Florida Water: its broad magical application?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;51983
In addition to what you already know, it's used as an offering for certain of the Lwa.

Certain orishas, too, but it's been long enough since I lived with a Santero that I can't remember which.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

Thanks in advance,
-Morag

I'm so glad to see this thread! I once had Floria Water used on me during a ritual and I have to say, it was amazing. It was immediately cleansing and refreshing, and for quite a while afterwards I felt more peaceful and as if my inner eye were clearer.

I have also done Google Fu on Florida Water, but got nowhere. I've looked everywhere to buy it locally, but to no avail. If I want some I'll either have to make it, which is really expensive, or I'll have to order some over the net.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;51990
Certain orishas, too, but it's been long enough since I lived with a Santero that I can't remember which.

I always forget about the orishas. :o
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: