Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Florida Water: its broad magical application?  (Read 14707 times)

Camylleon

• View Profile
    • http://www.camylleon.wordpress.com
Re: Florida Water: its broad magical application?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »
Quote from: earth_dragon;52006
I have also done Google Fu on Florida Water, but got nowhere. I've looked everywhere to buy it locally, but to no avail. If I want some I'll either have to make it, which is really expensive, or I'll have to order some over the net.

Earthdragon...I'm in the same state as you. Its harder to find in the Midwest, but still possible. Many of the Wal-Marts are starting to carry it. You can usually find it in the health & beauty section near the "ethnic" products. Also, I've heard tell some of the Walgreens are selling it. Haven't seen it there myself, but I have bought it at Wal-Mart.

Also, just about any Hispanic grocery store will carry it. You can order it online, but with the s & h it gets pricey.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:36 pm »
... If I want some I'll either have to make it, which is really expensive, or I'll have to order some over the net.

This is what I bought. The reason I purchased this particular brand was because it qualified for the Super Savings Shipping thing that Amazon does.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
Quote from: Camylleon;52023
Earthdragon...I'm in the same state as you. Its harder to find in the Midwest, but still possible. Many of the Wal-Marts are starting to carry it. You can usually find it in the health & beauty section near the "ethnic" products. Also, I've heard tell some of the Walgreens are selling it. Haven't seen it there myself, but I have bought it at Wal-Mart.

Also, just about any Hispanic grocery store will carry it. You can order it online, but with the s & h it gets pricey.

I will definitely be on the lookout. Thank you for the heads up!  :)

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;52048
This is what I bought. The reason I purchased this particular brand was because it qualified for the Super Savings Shipping thing that Amazon does.

Yep, that's the stuff. I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and order some. Thank you for the link.  :)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:41 pm »

I have also done Google Fu on Florida Water, but got nowhere. I've looked everywhere to buy it locally, but to no avail. If I want some I'll either have to make it, which is really expensive, or I'll have to order some over the net.

The net is good. There are lots of places for it.

I have seen it at the Family Dollar stores in areas where there is a larger Hispanic population but they have it down the street from me too and I live in a predominantly African American area. Inexpensive.

If you have the time and want the hunt the harder way, you can use zipskinny to get a snapshot of the ethnicities within a zipcode and hitting those local shops might bear fruit. I love those adventures, but I am certain I spend more in gas than I would have in shipping when I am on a quest like that!

Camylleon

• View Profile
    • http://www.camylleon.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:44 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;52048

UGH! $5.33? I get it for...I want to say $2 but it might be closer to $3. Still, half the cost of buying it online without having to pay s & h (although the super saver thing is nice.) Might be worth the quest to find it locally. If it's a bit of a drive (which can get as expensive once you figure in gas prices!), you can at least stock up. Not like it's going to go bad...

I can't believe they charge that much for it! Yikes!

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:55 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;51990
Certain orishas, too, but it's been long enough since I lived with a Santero that I can't remember which.

ok maybe a stupid ignorant comment,but aren't the lwa and orisha basically the same thing? just different names from different languages?
no?

and by the looks of things,if I wanted to buy some Florida water in Canada it looks like I'm ordering it online! lol
on a similar note:
I made my own four thieves vinager a while ago,and since making it,I've realized I don't actually know how to use it,applications for it.
I've heard the story's of how it came about etc. but I'm not sure how it applies now. lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Florida Water: its broad magical application?
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;52121
ok maybe a stupid ignorant comment,but aren't the lwa and orisha basically the same thing? just different names from different languages?
no?

and by the looks of things,if I wanted to buy some Florida water in Canada it looks like I'm ordering it online! lol
on a similar note:
I made my own four thieves vinager a while ago,and since making it,I've realized I don't actually know how to use it,applications for it.
I've heard the story's of how it came about etc. but I'm not sure how it applies now. lol

Lwa are the spirits honored in Vodou, while the orishas are honored in Santeria. Related paths, in that both are African Diaspora Religions, but the lwa and the orishas are distinct beings.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
no?

No.  The Orisha are Yoruba spirits of nature from Nigeria (some of the Yoruba are also in Benin).  The lwa are Haitian Vodou spirits who are a mixture of spirits from various African nations who were brought over to Haiti (mostly Fon and Ewe, but also Yoruba for Haitian Vodou influences).  There is some overlap.  There is a family of lwa with the name Ogou and they can correspond with some Orisha, but they are not considered the same.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:48 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;52145
No.  The Orisha are Yoruba spirits of nature from Nigeria (some of the Yoruba are also in Benin).  The lwa are Haitian Vodou spirits who are a mixture of spirits from various African nations who were brought over to Haiti (mostly Fon and Ewe, but also Yoruba for Haitian Vodou influences).  There is some overlap.  There is a family of lwa with the name Ogou and they can correspond with some Orisha, but they are not considered the same.

oh ! actually I knew most of that! what I keep forgetting is that though all are from Africa...the regions they come from IN africa are different! derp!
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:11 am »
Quote from: Camylleon;52116
UGH! $5.33? I get it for...I want to say $2 but it might be closer to $3. Still, half the cost of buying it online without having to pay s & h (although the super saver thing is nice.) Might be worth the quest to find it locally. If it's a bit of a drive (which can get as expensive once you figure in gas prices!), you can at least stock up. Not like it's going to go bad...

I'll start looking, but since they've only just started to carry those saints' candles in Wal-marts and local grocery stores, I think it may be a while before I actually see Florida water.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
Quote from: Camylleon;52116

I just came back from my local new age shop and darned if they haven't begun to stock both the Florida Water and the Kanaga Water. And OY! 8.95 and 5.95 respectively. I've paid much the same as you did: $2.99 for the Florida Water at a dollar type discount store and it was the same brand. But I haven't purchased it recently. Maybe the prices have gone up?

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 02:36:53 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;52275
I just came back from my local new age shop and darned if they haven't begun to stock both the Florida Water and the Kanaga Water. And OY! 8.95 and 5.95 respectively. I've paid much the same as you did: $2.99 for the Florida Water at a dollar type discount store and it was the same brand. But I haven't purchased it recently. Maybe the prices have gone up?

American new-age type shops are going to charge a lot more for it than a botanica or a box store will.  Catering to a different usage of the same item changes its markup, apparently.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 03:01:54 am »

It's sold in B.C.; Nanaimo definitely, if not elsewhere in the province. Which is why I was curious, really; I saw it in the local witch shop and went "bwwwuh?"
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 05:46:14 am »
Quote from: Morag;52308
It's sold in B.C.; Nanaimo definitely, if not elsewhere in the province. Which is why I was curious, really; I saw it in the local witch shop and went "bwwwuh?"

maybe triple spiral has it.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tags: