Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Vampire protection  (Read 6053 times)

EABonney

• View Profile
Vampire protection
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
Ok this is purely a "for fun" theory post. If I put this in the wrong location please move it. :D

Anyone read the Anita Blake series of books? I had an internal debate last night while trying to get to sleep on something. In this series vampires are very very real and even have legal "rights" in the US. Now if one where to attack a human the standard cross will provide protection if you have faith. The strong your faith the stronger the protection the wearer gets from said cross.

So this brought up my debate, if you are a pagan how would you get said protection from vampires? I mean you would not have any faith in the Christian God so the cross would provide you with nothing. I figured that maybe because you do have faith in some other Deity that maybe you would still get some form of protection, what do you think? :D

Sure it is just a goofy thought but one that seriously popped into my head last night as I struggled to sleep after reading for a bit.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire protection
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:28:02 pm »
Quote from: EABonney;50931

In the MAD-magazine was once a margin scribble with a Jewish vampire, being warded off with a Star of David. You post reminded me of it.

So yes, if it is the faith that protects you, you can have faith in another symbol, too.
It is obviously not the cross itself, or it would work, faith or not.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:31:38 pm by Tana »
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Teigue

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://teigue.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »
Quote from: Tana;50932
In the MAD-magazine was once a margin scribble with a Jewish vampire, being warded off with a Star of David. You post reminded me of it.

So yes, if it is the faith that protects you, you can have faith in another symbol, too.
It is obviously not the cross itself, or it would work, faith or not.

There was an X-Men vs Dracula comic years ago - Wolvie tried to do the cross with his claws; no effect since he didn't have faith - Nightcrawler tried the same thing with a pair of sticks - it worked just fine, so it's the faith in the symbol and not the symbol itself.

From this, I think for a Wiccan, it would be a Pentacle - a CR might use a Brigid's Cross or a Triskellion; etc

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:11:21 pm »
Quote from: Teigue;50934
There was an X-Men vs Dracula comic years ago - Wolvie tried to do the cross with his claws; no effect since he didn't have faith - Nightcrawler tried the same thing with a pair of sticks - it worked just fine, so it's the faith in the symbol and not the symbol itself.

From this, I think for a Wiccan, it would be a Pentacle - a CR might use a Brigid's Cross or a Triskellion; etc

This basically, it's not the object itself that wards off vampires, it's the faith a person has in what that object represents that does the trick.

That said,  a Thor's hammer probably wouldn't work for me, but maybe a sun wheel or a boar would do the trick (you know, on a pendant, not an actual wheel, obviously). The closest thing I wear to a "religious symbol" is an amber heart, but no one would know I thought of it in that way unless I told them.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:51:58 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;50937
This basically, it's not the object itself that wards off vampires, it's the faith a person has in what that object represents that does the trick.

That said,  a Thor's hammer probably wouldn't work for me, but maybe a sun wheel or a boar would do the trick (you know, on a pendant, not an actual wheel, obviously). The closest thing I wear to a "religious symbol" is an amber heart, but no one would know I thought of it in that way unless I told them.

maybe itsme,but I always thought it was the other way around....if the vampire believes the Christian hookum then the cross and holy water will work on him,otherwise it won't work.
no?
oh and if I ran across a vampy and wanted to ward it off....sun,salt,fire,don't invite it in,throw rice down or a knotted pile of strings,or a tangle if hangers.....or offer it garlic?...lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
Quote from: EABonney;50931
Ok this is purely a "for fun" theory post. If I put this in the wrong location please move it. :D

Anyone read the Anita Blake series of books? I had an internal debate last night while trying to get to sleep on something. In this series vampires are very very real and even have legal "rights" in the US. Now if one where to attack a human the standard cross will provide protection if you have faith. The strong your faith the stronger the protection the wearer gets from said cross.

So this brought up my debate, if you are a pagan how would you get said protection from vampires? I mean you would not have any faith in the Christian God so the cross would provide you with nothing. I figured that maybe because you do have faith in some other Deity that maybe you would still get some form of protection, what do you think? :D

Sure it is just a goofy thought but one that seriously popped into my head last night as I struggled to sleep after reading for a bit.

I think it's not really about faith. I feel like if you believe the cross is going to work then it will work. Haha, I just thought of the movie Skeleton Key.... if you have to believe the magic will work for the magic to work. Maybe?

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;50940
maybe itsme,but I always thought it was the other way around....if the vampire believes the Christian hookum then the cross and holy water will work on him,otherwise it won't work.
no?
oh and if I ran across a vampy and wanted to ward it off....sun,salt,fire,don't invite it in,throw rice down or a knotted pile of strings,or a tangle if hangers.....or offer it garlic?...lol

That's how it works with Anne Rice's vampires, I believe. I THINK Lestat and Gabrielle sleep in an "abandoned" church one day, then wake up and discover it's actually still in use!  They end up running out in the middle of Mass, IIRC.  

Another way to ward off a vampire is give it a broom, it's the same sort of deal with the rice--the vampire will be compelled to count until the sun comes up.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;50974

Another way to ward off a vampire is give it a broom, it's the same sort of deal with the rice--the vampire will be compelled to count until the sun comes up.

Same with nets -- but instead of counting it's untangling.  Something I want to know is, why are sparkly pseudo-vampires popular now and not the comically OCD ones?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;50940
no?

There was one vampire movie - the name is escaping me right now - where a Jewish vampire isn't bothered by a cross - "wrong religion" is I believe what he says (with a yiddish accent).  The movie is a comedy......
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »
Quote from: Owl;50984
There was one vampire movie - the name is escaping me right now - where a Jewish vampire isn't bothered by a cross - "wrong religion" is I believe what he says (with a yiddish accent).  The movie is a comedy......

Now that I think of it, an atheist vampire from Dracula 2000 wasn't bothered by a cross either....at first (said cross had a concealed blade).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:15 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;50975
Same with nets -- but instead of counting it's untangling.  Something I want to know is, why are sparkly pseudo-vampires popular now and not the comically OCD ones?

I actually think the OCD could be played for drama with a vampire as a protagonist: the villain gives the vamp a net/broom/whatever, and even though he knows the sun is coming up he just. can't. stop.

Then maybe he finally figures out that he can just take the darn thing and run, untangle/count while he goes. Unless the rules state that he has to stay in one place while he counts....

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »

Would that be Netherbeast Incorporated, by any chance?  (If not, forget I said anything:))

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;50988
Would that be Netherbeast Incorporated, by any chance?  (If not, forget I said anything:))

Absent

I thought it was "The Dance of the Vampires"?
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:36 am »

I have no idea what the movie was, but the line should have been (as per one of my favorite vampire jokes), "Oy vey, have you got the wrong vampire!"

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:22:57 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;50975
Something I want to know is, why are sparkly pseudo-vampires popular now and not the comically OCD ones?

Probably because the trope had been done to death:horse:, so the only writers (or writer; is anyone else - not counting fanfic/foefic or the obviously-highly-derivative bandwagon-hopping coattail-riders - doing the "sparkly" thing?) bothering to making use of the word are those who don't give a hoot if the characters they apply the word to actually fit it.

I found a comment some while back that addressed the matter, and have been saving it to share with you, Mel, at a good opportunity; this seems like the time:  That's no vampire, it's an unseelie faery!.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: