Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Meeting Gods  (Read 2888 times)

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Meeting Gods
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
So, It's seems really popular, at least from what I've seen, to talk about which Gods "picked" people. I was just wondering, for those of you who did not have this experience, what did you do to meet your deities? (or Deity...)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting Gods
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;50846
So, It's seems really popular, at least from what I've seen, to talk about which Gods "picked" people. I was just wondering, for those of you who did not have this experience, what did you do to meet your deities? (or Deity...)

Despite its popularity as a topic of conversation, I understand this is actually a thing that does not happen quite so often in the wider world.

Also, it's good to keep in mind that there is no requirement for one to have (a) Patron God(s).  This is one of those things that also seems to be emphasised alot in some places, and gets kind of irksome.

I think just approaching the Deities you're interested in, and seeing how They respond, seems a good starting place.

Unfortunately, I can't be much more help than that, as I don't work with any extant Deities, of any pantheon.  My path seems to be shaping up as me working with natural forces, and archetypes as my Gods, and I don't even know where it's going exactly.  But it doesn't seem to be leading me to any known Gods, so...

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:28 am »

Gods picking people is actually not that common.  We have many on TC, but that's not the norm elsewhere.  

I would suggest reading various myths of many pantheons.  Start research on a pantheon (or just a deity) that you are interested in.  Research on how they were traditionally honored so that you know what they like/don't like.  Offer to that deity and see if they are receptive to your attention.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:11 am »

I more or less went "you sound good", and went from there.

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »
Quote from: Maps;50922
I more or less went "you sound good", and went from there.

:D: HA! That's so interesting. Well, I definitely have a slew of deities that I'm interested in, and have done research on (in various degrees). I'm not sure I'm ready to meet anybody yet though. Right now I just want to focus on finding my own spirituality, within myself. Even though I would love to get to know some of the Gods I've looked at.
I also have a tendency to be horribly shy depending on the circumstance, so I figure I'll work up to working with Gods, eventually.
I was just curious, it doesn't surprise me that it's not the norm for Gods to pick people, and not vice versa, It's just all I ever hear people talk about. My only resources for my religion are books and the internet...

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;50936
:D: HA! That's so interesting. Well, I definitely have a slew of deities that I'm interested in, and have done research on (in various degrees). I'm not sure I'm ready to meet anybody yet though. Right now I just want to focus on finding my own spirituality, within myself. Even though I would love to get to know some of the Gods I've looked at.
I also have a tendency to be horribly shy depending on the circumstance, so I figure I'll work up to working with Gods, eventually.
I was just curious, it doesn't surprise me that it's not the norm for Gods to pick people, and not vice versa, It's just all I ever hear people talk about. My only resources for my religion are books and the internet...

idk I think I see it that if you have a strong desire, pull, need to learn about a specific deity perhaps that is the act of them choosing you?

I know for myself personally, when I first found the Dianic path I chose to devote myself to Artemis. The energy of my new path and where I was in my life felt right in that moment to follow Her.

Later on I was reading a book and it spoke about the Goddess Persephone and I just felt this wave of OMG yes I need to learn all I can about Her right now! lol I am not devoted to Persephone. She is the only Goddess that I have truly felt that type of connection with.

I do honor many different Goddesses though, some whose energies I feel are right for that time or need. Others who I just am madly curious about.
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

Well I decided a while go to follow/worship the gods my ancestors worshiped - the Norse gods. And they are very friendly to me, at least Thor and Loki are. I can't say much for Odin in the friendly department, but he is very wise.

I have met both Odin and Loki in dreams. I have yet to meet Thor directly. Loki is my patron. He chose me. :)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Meeting Gods
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »
Quote from: caelestisraven;50943
idk I think I see it that if you have a strong desire, pull, need to learn about a specific deity perhaps that is the act of them choosing you?

That's kind of how it was for me.

I've always been interested in Celtic art.  Many years ago, while doing some research on Celtic art and history, I started noticing that I felt a very distinct feeling -- sort of a chill or "thrill" -- whenever I ran across Brighid's name in a book.  After a while, I decided to pay attention to that and did some research on Her.  As I learned more and more and made some connections with various things in my life, I sort of...fell in love, for want of a better term.

Eventually, She let me know I was on the right track and that She really was in my life.

There were no big thunderclaps or anything like that.  Except for the couple of times when I heard Her voice inside my head.

When I decided to dedicate myself to Her -- a long time later -- I tried doing a whole ritual, which just didn't work.  Eventually, I realized I'd been dedicated to Her all my life and that She didn't care about formalities.  Those are for the humans in the relationship.  ;-)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

I just want to say that I don't feel like I was "picked" per se. I'm sure that there are people who do feel that way, but I'm not one of them.

Although he isn't a deity, I didn't get "picked" by Legba. A lwa spirit, he pretty much does whatever he so desires. After reading a bit about Vodou and specifically, about Legba, I decided that I would let myself open up to a relationship with him. And if he desired it, I would walk beside him. This seems to have worked out well for the both of us: he gets coffee on a daily basis, pennies whenever I think of it, and miscellaneous keys that I find all over the place. And I get a constant companion who likes to make jokes. :cool:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42:52 pm »

I was in over my head on something and was offered help. I did not even realize the offer was from a deity when it happened. Of course, the offer was made because the deity wanted my service.

Most people, however, pick a deity or deities to worship. Gods picking people is unusual and when it happens its generally because the deity wants the person to do things in the world for them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Meeting Gods
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:39 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;50980

Most people, however, pick a deity or deities to worship. Gods picking people is unusual and when it happens its generally because the deity wants the person to do things in the world for them.

This.

Sometimes, it seems, deities will make longer-term investments in certain people.  Like:  You don't have the skills/ability/whatever to do My work right now, but I'll do a little renovating and upgrading on you, and then you'll be perfect for what I'm planning.

Or something like that...  ;)

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:53:50 am »
Quote from: RandallS;50980

And sometimes it's like any new friendship where you feel each other out for a little while, and then decide to deepen the relationship.

I started calling on Pan for the utterly frivolous reason that the "IO Pan" chant is perfect for walking to, and I felt the need for some protection along the stretch of road that I needed to walk (a couple of times a week). He responded to my chant, embraced me with his music, and kept danger away from me on that lonely stretch. Six months or a little more later, he said 'you're mine'.

Now, three years down the road, the relationship is working like a charm, and it's turned my creativity 'up to eleven' so to speak. I don't think I could have found my passion in writing without him, but it was me who took the first step - even without knowing that that would be a result.

Does he have a long term plan? Did he know already then what we would be working on? No idea - and somehow I don't think so. It just evolved over time - like all relationships will.
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:36 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;50983
This.

Sometimes, it seems, deities will make longer-term investments in certain people.  Like:  You don't have the skills/ability/whatever to do My work right now, but I'll do a little renovating and upgrading on you, and then you'll be perfect for what I'm planning.

This.

I definitely feel like I'm in the middle of upgrading...
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;50983
This.

This is my case.  I'm doing this right now.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Meeting Gods
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 03:45:22 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;51074
This is my case.  I'm doing this right now.

I think this is probably the norm.  ;)

Tags: