collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Books to Beware  (Read 38181 times)

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Books to Beware...
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;28735
Another one to avoid is Tankhem: Seth and Egyptian Magick by Mogg Morgan.  The more I read about actual Kemeticism the more this book infuriates me.  It basically says Set and Satan are the same.  I suspect the author is part of the church of Satan that branched off and said "ok we worship Set now because we don't like the way our old church was."

Speaking of Egyptian stuff, I read on the archive forum that Joyceln Almond's Egyptian Paganism was riddled with flaws. I unfortunately didn't see anyone list what was wrong with it.  

Anyone can help me out?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 03:25:32 am »
Quote from: LyricFox;3464
No that wasn't it. "History" something or other.

Maybe you're thinking of The Wiccan Mysteries.  Grimassi tried trace the lineage of Wicca back to its [supposed] origins in Italy.  The book was recommended to me back when I was a brand-new dedicant in a coven, and even then I found it a bit dodgy.  

Grimassi has done a couple of card decks that I quite like, however.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 03:32:32 am »
Quote from: Bugscuttle;9775
I haven't heard anyone mention D.J. Conway.  I've only wasted money on one of her works but the facts and "history" were wayyyyyy off.

I picked up one of her books once, and put it back after finding an anti-Christian screed in the first few pages.  I just don't need prejudice on my shelves.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:33:09 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

AmethystFox

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2011, 10:41:12 am »
Quote from: Asch;3106
I thought it might be useful to have a list of books people here have found highly questionable (along with why of course). I know when I first started to investigate non-mainstream religion I was lead by some overly eager amazon reviews into books that I promptly turned around and sold as they had little bearing on my interests and were often historically / logically dubious.

Any takers?

Rosalyn Greene's "The Magic of Shapeshifting" makes some dubious claims about physical shapeshifting, genetics, and the power of an organic diet. Also, apparently, wearing natural fibers makes it easier for you to turn into an animal.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »
Quote from: AmethystFox;30006
Rosalyn Greene's "The Magic of Shapeshifting" makes some dubious claims about physical shapeshifting, genetics, and the power of an organic diet. Also, apparently, wearing natural fibers makes it easier for you to turn into an animal.

that's bullhonky!
everyone knows you need to drink water out of a wolfs paw print that's had the full moon reflected in it...duh.
:p
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Idho

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.illumia-art.nl
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:37 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;28806
Maybe you're thinking of The Wiccan Mysteries.  Grimassi tried trace the lineage of Wicca back to its [supposed] origins in Italy.  The book was recommended to me back when I was a brand-new dedicant in a coven, and even then I found it a bit dodgy.  

To be honest, the history-section in about 90% of pagan books out there is often very cringe-worthy. Most of them seem to see some ancient fertility cult in about every folkloric piece of history. I don't have a specific book in mind, but I'm sure every one knows a few.
OK, just to name an example that just popped into my head: I really like Starhawks writings and find it very inspiring, but her 'ancient goddess society' stuff is getting really old. Even she herself acknowledges that it's not good historical writing (TM), but she keeps on writing about it anyway.
If you want to learn about the history of paganism, witchcraft or magic, I advise anyone to read actual scholarly history books about the subject - they do exist and are usually way better.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2011, 06:01:46 am »
Quote from: Idho;30110
OK, just to name an example that just popped into my head: I really like Starhawks writings and find it very inspiring, but her 'ancient goddess society' stuff is getting really old. Even she herself acknowledges that it's not good historical writing (TM), but she keeps on writing about it anyway.
If you want to learn about the history of paganism, witchcraft or magic, I advise anyone to read actual scholarly history books about the subject - they do exist and are usually way better.

Agreed.  I admit I'm not as qualified on this subject as others.  However, the whole idea of the 'underground Great Mother Goddess Cult' has never rung true with me.
The basic info on diverse European mythic sytems that I've encountered shows that they are polytheistic and (often) male-dominated.  Further, the argument that the Great Mother Goddess Cult (tm) was oppressed and driven underground by the Cult of the Evil Penis (aka Christianity) has never rung true either.  Aside from scattered sculputures in the 'Venus of Willendorf' mode, I have not been convinced by what has been portrayed in the various 101 books.  
Call me a skeptic, however I am always willing to learn.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:18 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;30112
Agreed.  I admit I'm not as qualified on this subject as others.  However, the whole idea of the 'underground Great Mother Goddess Cult' has never rung true with me.

That could be because their is practically no real world support for the existence of such a cult underground nor the existence of any type of universal Great Mother Goddess cult (or the matriarchal societies that supposed followed it) in prehistory.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:32 am »
Quote from: Asch;3106
I thought it might be useful to have a list of books people here have found highly questionable (along with why of course). I know when I first started to investigate non-mainstream religion I was lead by some overly eager amazon reviews into books that I promptly turned around and sold as they had little bearing on my interests and were often historically / logically dubious.

Any takers?

The Wiccan Prayer Book, by Mark Ventimiglia. Actually, make that anything by MV, for that matter. He has been denounced by Seax-Wica, and rightly so, for his intolerant, especially towards homosexuals, stance on the Craft, which he tries to inject into his works. The prayer book itself is dry, endearing in parts, but still formulaic, and includes a rather twisted little story in the beginning.
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

ForeverLearning

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »
Quote from: Miss;28732
That's a pretty convincing review. You just led me to buy this book immediately after reading that. ;)

Thank you!

Glad I could help :)
My occupation? I don\'t really have one--but in my spare time I look through my telescope searching for that curious man in the flying blue box.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;30123
That could be because their is practically no real world support for the existence of such a cult underground nor the existence of any type of universal Great Mother Goddess cult (or the matriarchal societies that supposed followed it) in prehistory.

Oh, but Margaret Murray wrote... kidding.  

:D:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MoonChild78

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »
Quote from: Castus;3128
Anything written by Silver Ravenwolf; full of bullpuckey each and every one.

In her defense (as they were some of my first books on the subject) they are fine if you remember that these are her beliefs and not the beliefs of all Wiccans/Pagans.  But, I tend to take all my books on the subject with a grain of salt once the "High Claims" (You know, stuff that just seems a little bit too out there to be real) start popping up but I like to think that each book is a teacher, and some are better than others... just like real teachers in a school or college.  Some are great and you'll take any class they are teaching whereas some are ok and have a decent working knowledge but there personal opinions get in the way and leave a bad taste in your mouth making you uneasy about another class with them... but in the end, you've still learned something even though you may not like it!!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »
Quote from: MoonChild78;30948
In her defense (as they were some of my first books on the subject) they are fine if you remember that these are her beliefs and not the beliefs of all Wiccans/Pagans.

I'm not sure I'm willing to be that generous.

"They are fine" doesn't include giving incorrect facts, redefining terminology to erase how it's actually used by people who are practicing their religions, encouraging lying to parents (given that she lies about her own credentials, I suppose that's not a stretch), and other dubious stuff.

... oh wow, the "Tarnished Silver" essay cites her as saying something about a woman's first sexual experience being "when her purity is taken".  Holy shit.  Virginity is the same as purity?  And it's "taken"?  While claiming to be presenting reality about a religion whose fundamental liturgical structure has to do with sex?  Holy fucking shit.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;30951

I too think the contras outweigh the pros.
Reading the Stir a/ride a... and the three spell books, I think she is not half bad on the pure magic stuff, but she surely talks a pile of bull in between the useable passages.

Yes, one can find a useful idea/spell/notion in her books.
But it comes with too much to sort out, one can have this better with other books I guess.

(I remember the part of virginity is taken, I thought WTF? so the woman is the one to lay down and think of England still or what? SRW surely shows her mindset, which doesn't seemed to be refined in a witchy way imo.)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;30951

"They are fine" doesn't include giving incorrect facts, redefining terminology to erase how it's actually used by people who are practicing their religions, encouraging lying to parents (given that she lies about her own credentials, I suppose that's not a stretch), and other dubious stuff.

... oh wow, the "Tarnished Silver" essay cites her as saying something about a woman's first sexual experience being "when her purity is taken".  Holy shit.  Virginity is the same as purity?  And it's "taken"?  While claiming to be presenting reality about a religion whose fundamental liturgical structure has to do with sex?  Holy fucking shit.

Agreed.  Her material can spread a lot of misinformation to people that honestly want to learn.  That's not acceptable.  And if she lies about her credentials, to me that invalidates her completely.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:58:09 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Tags: