collapse

Author Topic: Books to Beware  (Read 38061 times)

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Books to Beware...
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 01:37:40 am »
Quote from: Asch;3106
I thought it might be useful to have a list of books people here have found highly questionable (along with why of course). I know when I first started to investigate non-mainstream religion I was lead by some overly eager amazon reviews into books that I promptly turned around and sold as they had little bearing on my interests and were often historically / logically dubious.

Any takers?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the 21 lessons of Merlin is so horrible that I wanted to scream.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;82712
So, I recently came into possession of a whole trunkload of witchy books, some good and some bad. I've been working my way through them, and thought I would share one of the awful ones.

How to Enchant a Man by Ellen Dugan. Now, I thought, that's a bad title. But so what if it's heteronormative and vaguely desperate sounding? Maybe that's what sells! ...and it's not like I'd read this crap in public. So, onward, maybe there's good shit inside!

No. No, there's not.

The author is very firmly in the "no manipulative magic" camp. That's very important to some people, so I can accept that. (Although it does tend to mean less awesomely bizarre folk magic traditions.) But her attitude is sort of... well. Warm and fuzzy. Goddesses/The Goddess are portrayed as always loving and kind. Which, you know, sure whatever... but then she later on advocates calling upon Lilith. That strikes me as a little weird and potentially dangerous.

Now here's the thing that really bothered me more than the toothless spells and the fluffiness... This book came out in 2008. But you know what it reads like? The Satanic Witch by Anton LaVey. If you watered it down with a gallon of rose water, anyway.

Dugan spends a whole book telling people not to do manipulative magic... but to basically manipulate people mundanely. At least if I'm reading LaVey he's being honest about his intentions. (And when a former carny is more honest than you? There is a problem.)

To sum up: Cosmo in witch form. Blech.
  I read the satanic witch.  I be interested in some honest male opinion on it.  Obviously, it was what LaVey wanted in a woman, but what about nonexcarny men?
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

rwcrusher

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2015, 05:49:25 am »
I thought it might be useful to have a list of books people here have found highly questionable (along with why of course). I know when I first started to investigate non-mainstream religion I was lead by some overly eager amazon reviews into books that I promptly turned around and sold as they had little bearing on my interests and were often historically / logically dubious.

Any takers?

Actually, her sources were very well researched and she lists all of them in Endnotes at the back of the book. I have seen one print where the sources were not listed in the text and another where the endnotes are listed in the text. While I do agree that she spends the last 6 pages of her book touting her religious bias, the prior 230+ pages are very insightful and extremely accurate to the sources she listed. Her sources aren't ones you can easily find available for instant read on the internet and some are very costly, I have in fact purchased 3 of the works she cites at considerable price, $90+ for one from the 1800's, and I can tell you not only has she read the books and materials she sited, she did so like a modern day Historical Sociologist. Every person who writes books like this are typically scorned or scrutinized for the facts they present, especially in the Judeo-Christian world, however unless you can provide proof in her references where she strayed from her research, you should not dismiss this work. I have a Degree in Social Science from Chapman University, one of the highly prestigious archaeological schools in the USA and I can tell you her explanations, drawing points and conclusions are worthy of publication by Chapman. You can dislike the person and her biases all you want, but the accuracy of her research, her presentation of her research and the conclusions she draws are very much consistent with her works cited. I have read 11 of the book she has cited and am continuing to read them based on my own interest and I can tell you thus far she has been dead on in her presentation of her research. So please, don't knock it unless you've followed up with it. It reads for the layman and is a very simple explanation of 25,000 years of religious history. I am personally researching and writing a publication on the ties between the Dravidians and the sprout of modern day religious including the Sumerian and Mesopotamian roots of Judaism, the Etruscan roots in Greek and Roman faiths and the possible connection between the Dravidians and the first faith systems of the Celts. So trust me, Ann Moura's research is founded very much in accepted historical fact and it should not be dismissed as anything other than a very detailed, yet easy to read and understand work by a very educated and well researched author.

Sincerely,
Tim Parry, Jr., D.D.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2015, 02:15:39 pm »
Quote from: rwcrusher;169518
Actually, her sources were very well researched and she lists all of them in Endnotes at the back of the book.

Sincerely,
Tim Parry, Jr., D.D.

Can you tell us what these sources were? The fact that one of them is from the 1800s doesn't really make me hopeful. Please do give me some citations, though. I happen to be a student at a large university, and would likely be able to access them in my school's library.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2015, 05:30:26 pm »

Any takers?

A few people have mentioned Cassandra Eason's works in here, and while I've only read A Complete Guide to Faeries and Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People from her, I can sort of see why. The book itself wasn't bad for the most part, though it's more of a beginner's book than a complete guide. When she drifts off from the Celtic theme, though? Boy, oh, boy. At one point she assumed that all Native Americans share a uniform culture and went on and on about their "beliefs" for several pages. Ick.

I'd be more forgiving if it weren't for the fact that she legitimately did decent research on the Celtic stuff, then totally half-asses it when talking about non-European stuff. Why even include it, y'know?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2015, 09:56:15 pm »
Quote from: rwcrusher;169518
I have a Degree in Social Science from Chapman University, one of the highly prestigious archaeological schools in the USA....

I cannot, of course, directly confirm your claimed credentials, but one would imagine that, if you were an alumnus of Chapman, you would be aware that it doesn't even have an archaeological program.

This does not speak well for the reliability of anything else in your post.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2015, 05:45:35 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;169538
I cannot, of course, directly confirm your claimed credentials, but one would imagine that, if you were an alumnus of Chapman, you would be aware that it doesn't even have an archaeological program.

This does not speak well for the reliability of anything else in your post.

Sunflower

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SunflowerP again.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2015, 01:20:47 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169552
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SunflowerP again.

The rep is always gone when we need it. :hdsk:
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »

Any takers?

Anything by Anton LaVey or any of his followers.

His religion is nothing more than Randite Objectivism with added hedonism masked by pseudo-Crowleyite mysticism used for psychodrama with Satan as a symbol and nothing but.

Which would be fine, but for two things.

First, he uses magick for psychodrama, unbelieving (or not, he wasn't very clear, but his followers cleary think this) in any actual power. Now, going through magickal ritual expecting nothing but a larf and some self-development does not strike me as wise. Also, his symbology is screwy, such as using the word Shemhamforash in rituals. It means Unameable Name. Yah-yah's name, in other words. He advocates calling on the Abrahamic god in Satanic rituals. Oi.

And worse? His bizzare attitude that Satanism is a religion he invented, and that no other use of the word is valid. He tried to bloody copywrite it! He even succeeded at copywriting his Baphomet pentacle, and its almost identicle to the one in La Clef de la Magie Noir, all he did was erase the names of Samael and Lilith! What a con man.

Likewise, (not published books but internet writings) the demonolatry system of Joy of Satan. They highly suggest a full on dedication to Satan first thing! And don't use and form of banishing ritual before magick or summonings.

And they think Satan is a telepathic alien and Jews are reptilians.

Sigh.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2015, 10:42:22 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;169571
Anything by Anton LaVey or any of his followers.

His religion is nothing more than Randite Objectivism with added hedonism masked by pseudo-Crowleyite mysticism used for psychodrama with Satan as a symbol and nothing but.

I'd disagree to an extent.

With a lot of caution I think there is some useful stuff in LaVey.  You definitely have to filter for bias. I'm no fan of Objectivism (to put it mildly) and he's also appallingly sexist, but if you account for that there's some stuff worth thinking about, at least philosophically.

Which would be fine, but for two things.

First, he uses magick for psychodrama, unbelieving (or not, he wasn't very clear, but his followers cleary think this) in any actual power. Now, going through magickal ritual expecting nothing but a larf and some self-development does not strike me as wise.

This is where we part company.  I think your own beliefs are coming through here quite strongly.

I'm not as absolute on this as LaVey.  (I'm agnostic about whether magic has any external effect).  But I don't see an issue with "going through magickal ritual expecting nothing but a larf and some self-development", certainly not if you're seeing magic as a method as opposed to it being part of a religious practice.

And I think psychodrama is a highly useful technique in magic.  Actually, his sense of theatre is one of the main things I like about LaVey.  We could do with more of that, not less.  (Crowley was many things, but he was certainly a highly talented showman and self promoter).

Also, his symbology is screwy, such as using the word Shemhamforash in rituals. It means Unameable Name. Yah-yah's name, in other words. He advocates calling on the Abrahamic god in Satanic rituals. Oi.

I wasn't aware of that and it certainly suggests his research isn't to be trusted.  It's also highly hypocritical; he attacks the use of Hebrew names for demons in the Satanic Bible.

I can see that, from a Theistic Satanist perspective, calling on the Abrahamic god would be a really bad idea.  From an atheistic perspective however, it's probably not that important.  It's not like LaVey believes either Satan or the Abrahamic god exist.  It's what I meant before about it being important to understand where LaVey is coming from.  People need to know he assumes an atheistic perspective and decide whether they agree with it when they're reading him.

If you see him in the context of the wider occult circle as opposed to Satanist, using Judeo-Christian symbology is actually really common.

And worse? His bizzare attitude that Satanism is a religion he invented, and that no other use of the word is valid. He tried to bloody copywrite it! He even succeeded at copywriting his Baphomet pentacle, and its almost identicle to the one in La Clef de la Magie Noir, all he did was erase the names of Samael and Lilith! What a con man.

Oh, yeah, he's undoubtedly a prick.  But if I was to chuck out the work of any occultist who's behaved in a dickish manner, that would be denying myself access to an enormous body of work.

All that said, if we're looking at symbolic/atheistic Satanism, I think LaVey has been largely surpassed by The Satanic Temple.  They aren't authoritarian, have a great eye for stunts, actually have a sense of humour and are generally cooler in so many ways.

Likewise, (not published books but internet writings) the demonolatry system of Joy of Satan. They highly suggest a full on dedication to Satan first thing! And don't use and form of banishing ritual before magick or summonings.

And they think Satan is a telepathic alien and Jews are reptilians.

Sigh.
The latter in particular is an issue, because it's part of their wider worldview.  The JoS are a conduit for Neo Nazi ideas into Satanism.  I don't think that's overstating it.  Several of their leaders are active in the Neo Nazi movement.  While they sometimes try to hide it, you can see that it influences things like their false claim that Hitler was a Satanist.

Put it like this.  LaVey and his followers are frequently tiresome and mockable, but I don't see them as an actual threat.  They aren't my enemy.  JoS are.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2015, 11:29:38 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;169873
I'd disagree to an extent.

Side comment - I feel like being an Atheistic Satanist would work out in much the same way as being an Atheistic Lokean. Doesn't matter if you don't believe in him. He believes in you. :p (And actually, this is sort of how I met Loki, so please don't hit me...)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2015, 02:19:59 pm »

Oh, yeah, he's undoubtedly a prick.  But if I was to chuck out the work of any occultist who's behaved in a dickish manner, that would be denying myself access to an enormous body of work.

I can't help but think we'd have no body of work at all if we did that.

rian

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:27 pm »

... there has to be a joke in here somewhere.  I can feel it calling to me.  :P

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2015, 12:48:07 am »

Any takers?

I just bought the book Deep Ancestors by Ceisiwr Serith and it was not what I need for my practice. I found the book on the ADF website on their recommended reading page. I went to Mr. Serith's website and read many of his articles and really liked everything there so I bought his book. I thought this was a book on the history of ancestor worship, but it is not. I read it quite quickly and am wondering how to use this information. I am entirely solitary and am not looking for anything group oriented and now I have a book on group ritual. I will keep the book because I may eventually join a group. I still like the author I just thought this book would be useful for me at the moment.

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2015, 01:10:20 pm »
Quote from: NorthernangelNimya;84509
Anything By Silver Raven Wolf.
I personally enjoyed reading "The Magical Household" By Scott Cunningham & David Harrington.

Her ultimate book of shadows was my first real teacher. While I now have some perspective and can see how controversal some of Ravenwolf's opinions are I still believe they are a great source of knowledge.

Tags: