collapse

Author Topic: Wisdom From Ducky  (Read 2176 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Wisdom From Ducky
« on: April 06, 2012, 08:29:42 am »
From an e-mail I received.
Subject: FW: Wisdom From Ducky
Enjoy:D:

http://gin.michaellrichardson.com/ducky.htm
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wisdom From Ducky
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:54 am »
Quote from: mlr52;49067
From an e-mail I received.
Subject: FW: Wisdom From Ducky
Enjoy:D:

http://gin.michaellrichardson.com/ducky.htm

some of it's cute, but I have issues with the bible one, particularly since it's not true. At least in the US.  And it irritates me.  which is why I uniformly hate forwarded emails.

Sorry, pet peeve.  Ain't wisdom if it ain't accurate.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:05:43 am »
Quote from: mandrina;49072
some of it's cute, but I have issues with the bible one, particularly since it's not true. At least in the US.  And it irritates me.  which is why I uniformly hate forwarded emails.

You're not alone, Mandrina.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;49152
You're not alone, Mandrina.

Sunflower

See, I don't see it that way - the whole thing is designed as a joke, so I take it in the spirit intended

I sent a couple on to my dad, he's always sending me things like this, he'll appreciate them - especially at 78 years of age

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:44:37 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;49216
See, I don't see it that way - the whole thing is designed as a joke, so I take it in the spirit intended

I sent a couple on to my dad, he's always sending me things like this, he'll appreciate them - especially at 78 years of age

It's not a joke.  it's supposed to be true things told humorously.  There's a difference.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:02:55 am »
Quote from: mandrina;49072

Both references to the Bible are true.

I posted this because I enjoyed it, and I had to think about what was written.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:12:31 am »
Quote from: mlr52;49248

No, they are not.  Any child who wants to read the bible in school when it doesn't interfere with what they are supposed to be doing can read the bible if they want to, and woe betide the school district that tries to forbid it.  That case has been tried and lost.
Katrina

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:08:20 am »

And you think it's a problem that the 10 commandment can't (although I don't think it's uniform) be posted on a public building?  You want to be forced to swear on a bible?
Katrina

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:06:24 am »
Quote from: mandrina;49267
You want to be forced to swear on a bible?

I don't know about the U.S., but the court oaths I've taken here don't require a book, (although you can use one if you like).  A simple 'I swear' then repeating the oath, or just listening to it and saying 'I so swear' is enough to bind you.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:03:04 am »

Both references are false

Children can read religious texts of any sort; Bible, Koran, Talmud, etc; during non-class time, they can pray singly or in groups during lunches, they can even meet after classes as a club like any other - what can NOT happen is that public schools teach religion, there can be no teacher-led prayer and the school can not requre children to attend any gathering that is religious at it's core.

As far as the Ten Commandments; the posting of that in courthouses has been ruled as Unconstitutional - any courthouse that has them posted is violating the law
And you do NOT have to swear on the Bible or any other 'Holy Book' if you do not wish to, you can just swear upon your own good word

Both have gone to SCOTUS and have come back down this way

--------------

I still look at it as a joke - some peoples humor approach reality, and I've spouted off things similar to those AS jokes and everyone knew, just cause that's my sense of humor
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:06:22 am by Rhyshadow »

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:42:34 am »
And you think it's a problem that the 10 commandment can't (although I don't think it's uniform) be posted on a public building?  You want to be forced to swear on a bible?

At no point did I or the e-mail say not posting the 10 commandment was a problem, it asks a question, which caused me to think about it.

In New York State anyone can refuse to swear and oath in court, an affirmation is all that is needed.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;49272
Both references are false

Children can read religious texts of any sort; Bible, Koran, Talmud, etc; during non-class time, they can pray singly or in groups during lunches, they can even meet after classes as a club like any other - what can NOT happen is that public schools teach religion, there can be no teacher-led prayer and the school can not requre children to attend any gathering that is religious at it's core.

As far as the Ten Commandments; the posting of that in courthouses has been ruled as Unconstitutional - any courthouse that has them posted is violating the law
And you do NOT have to swear on the Bible or any other 'Holy Book' if you do not wish to, you can just swear upon your own good word

Both have gone to SCOTUS and have come back down this way

--------------

I still look at it as a joke - some peoples humor approach reality, and I've spouted off things similar to those AS jokes and everyone knew, just cause that's my sense of humor

THe main problem is that they are presented as true, funny or needs to be thought about, but true.  THe implication is that religion, specifically the bible (and probably no other) should be allowed in the schools, but is forbidden, but allowed in prison, when actually, it is allowed both places.  So not only is the reference false, the 'joke' is reinforcing an incorrect and annoying opinion already being fast forwarded accross the internet, etc.

The other implication is that the bible does belong in the courthouse and so does the 10 commandments.  

Neither implication is really a good one.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:36:58 am by mandrina »
Katrina

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:42:26 am »
Quote from: mlr52;49277
At no point did I or the e-mail say not posting the 10 commandment was a problem, it asks a question, which caused me to think about it.

In New York State anyone can refuse to swear and oath in court, an affirmation is all that is needed.

Hopefully, one of your thoughts was that the person posting this a) doesn't know actual law and so why are they posting falsities in the first place. and b), that what they are presenting as a bad thing in the second situation, probably really isn't.

This is why I hate these things.  PEople at work keep posting up the ones about kids not being allowed to say the pledge of allegience, and they should know better, their kids go to the same schools mine do and learned the pledge the same place mine did, at school.  She admits it. So I look at her and say, I know you know this isn't true, so why did you go to the trouble of printing it out and hanging it on your wall.  She gives me this blank look, but leaves it.
Katrina

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:45:42 am »
Quote from: mandrina;49285
Hopefully ...

I'll go away now, this is like my only real nails-on-the-chalkboard-shudder internet peeve.
Katrina

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »

Nope, Ten Cs isn't uniform - They don't even start in the same place!  one is "thou shalt have no other god before Me" and one is "thou shalt not kill/murder (depending)"  ... and they parse out differently after that, too.

Tags: