Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Why do you have a religion at all?  (Read 10201 times)

Nature

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you have a religion at all?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 02:29:09 am »
For me the most rewarding things to do in life are working on Mind, Body, and Spirit.

Also my meaning of life is much related to my Nature-based spirituality, so it's very fulfilling.

So I see any time spent on spirituality as time well spent.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:19:51 am »
Quote from: Nature;48263

A Reminder:
Hi, Nature,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;48163
Why do you, personally, have a religion? (or faith, or a path...)

I think the universe is this big confusing place where we can barely grasp any significance or reason. If I even try to think about how it is even possible that anything exists at all it will give me a headache lol.

I think religion gives a sense of purpose, a sense of reason. Some sense that ties everything together so that we can dismiss that which we can not understand and try to understand everything else.

It has taught me to think about the bigger picture of why things happen and how I can understand them, how I can see myself as part of the universe and not a lone little piece of dust, that everything is connected. I think it is comforting and beautiful. And it gives me hope for the end of my life which gives purpose to my life I guess.

It wasn't like my mind was empty and I decided to fill it with religion one day. I thought of the universe, the earth, all the problems and such and my mind tried to make sense of it all the best it could- which led to religion. Even without practice I would still believe what I believe.

But at the same time I think others use religion as idk a scapegoat perhaps. So they do not have to think they can just have faith and let it be. I am not saying that is a bad thing sometimes just having faith can help them get through the day or their life. People who never stop to think about it or go beyond what they are told and are ok with that. But in times when things are chaotic they can stop and find that peace.

Others have zero care at all. My husband is an agnostic. He says yeah probably something else is out there but he has no interest or reason to think about it. Instead of looking out to the universe or heavens for any purpose he just chooses to focus on the hear and now. I think he is just unimaginative lol :ange:
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Why do you have a religion at all?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;48170
I have faith because it's either that or I'm completely batshit - and as it seems to be not-dangerous, I'm gonna go with faith.  I'm pretty sure if it was just straight batshittery it would be odder.

I have religion because I find it a useful structure for articulating how to live with other people and how to make the world better.

This. (Big surprise. ;-)  )

Plus, it's the only thing that adequately explains some of the things I've experienced.

And my path makes me happy.

Pretty simple, really.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

tihana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://metapot.com/cart.php?mode=friend_wl&wlid=c5f6e25cf20eac9d7bc7a83d4af56bee
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:56 pm »

Ask 10 people, get 20 different answers. For myself... it's my rock. One of the few constants I have in my life - to help tether me down to the present sometimes. Doing ritual, the contentedness that can come with it, also a perk. To connect with the obvious... and not-so obvious. Sounds like lovey-dovey fluffy crap, but I think I deserve a little of that. :)

Trillcat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 10:18:27 am »

(Full disclosure - I was told in a dream that I should ask people that question. While it felt more like brainspam dream than a genuine encounter, I've spent the morning thinking it's an interesting and important question and one I'm not sure I have an answer to.)

And trying to answer it:

I list my religion as bokonist - from Kurt Vonnegut, where it is a religion invented purely to fufil social functions. For me, that's a structure for awe and being greatful for the natural world, and a reminder to have quiet "sacred" time. I'm researching chaos magic because it seems to contain that self-referential playfulness that allows me to keep my skepticism and explore magic at the same time. But all the ideas I've had are things it brings me, not things my having religion gives to gods, community or the wider world.

Which makes me think:

Why should you have a religion? Are some reasons better than others?

*random musing of the day*

i don't really have a religion, or a lack of one, I just sort of am what I am. If pressed to label myself, I have to go to an amusing long stream of  words, which justs gets all convoluted and rather silly, I find one that seems to fit me, then find another that completly contradicts the other and seems to fit better. I have  given up on trying to put a label on myself, it is just getting too frustrating. (WHY do I feel the need to find a word for myself?)
As to the question, I don't know why I believe, or not believe as the case may be. Others have answered this far more eloquent than me, but the sense of peace it brings, and also brings chaos.
I guess my answer would be that it keep me thinking, keeps me questioning. I am very in tune with the changing of the seasons. Being Spring, I look at the new life popping out all around me and it hits me in the soul. ( If I have one)  My pantheist heart tells me I am a part of it all, I am one with it, it is the "God" force, it wraps me in it every day. My Pagan heart assigns specific God/Godesses to the flowers and trees and the birds (Welcome back birds, I have missed you!)
I am not really answering your question so much as I am rambling :) ah well it is Easter morning. Shout out to the Christians, have a wonderful day!

xmoonlitreveriex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awakeninlight.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:49 pm »

Good question. On a superficial level, this path is the most beneficial for what I hope to achieve. It encourages spiritual growth, and it is not static--it evolves and changes constantly to fit with the changing world. But beyond that, it speaks to me in a way no other faith ever has. To reject this faith, to reject my god, would be to reject the very thing that makes my heart soar.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »

Religion for me for me is a compass - whenever I am lost, it shows me how to get myself to home.

I have faith in the gods because I always felt there was something far greater than me out of there and i always craved a connection with it.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

marwolaeth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:00 am »

I have it because  then im spiritualy full not an empty bottle

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:09 pm »

I'm an Irish Reconstructionist because I believe that the Morrigan is real, and she called me to follow her due to whatever she has in mind.

Maybe she wants me to become famous because I'm an Asian actor with the drive AND skill to make it happen. Maybe she wants me to be famous because I'm a non-fluffy pagan and that's going to work wonders for our public image.

Maybe she wants me to be famous to see how I'll react to being famous, or because she wants to see me crash and burn.

Or maybe she just has time to kill--I don't know.

But she called me, and she answers my prayers, and she keeps an eye out for me whenever I walk alone at night. That's all I need.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »

(Full disclosure - I was told in a dream that I should ask people that question. While it felt more like brainspam dream than a genuine encounter, I've spent the morning thinking it's an interesting and important question and one I'm not sure I have an answer to.)

I have a religion for the same reason that  you posted this question. You say that it might be brainspam, but it might have been a real encounter. You also say that it is a good question. Well for me religion might be a totally false conception, or it might be the real thing. A great man once said ' I would rather live my life as though there were a god, then die and find out that there wasn't, than I would to live my life as though there were no god and then die and find out that there was one.' And besides it's not a bad idea to have a religion.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;49940
I have a religion for the same reason that  you posted this question. You say that it might be brainspam, but it might have been a real encounter. You also say that it is a good question. Well for me religion might be a totally false conception, or it might be the real thing. A great man once said ' I would rather live my life as though there were a god, then die and find out that there wasn't, than I would to live my life as though there were no god and then die and find out that there was one.' And besides it's not a bad idea to have a religion.
I don't think I would want to live in a world where no one has faith in anything, and religion to me is a way of living and conducting my life. It gives me great joy and also also structure and knowing there's more to this life than just ordinary things.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »

I wouldn't say I have a religion. I have labeled myself a eclectic spiritualist. I don't believe there is one right path to God and truth. Each person has to find their own way and I find religion is too rigid for me.

I love learning about other people's beliefs. It helps me understand others better and it gives me a new perspective on the divine. I am in flux and am always learning.

I am on my path because it gives me a sense of peace and wonderment!

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

I don't have faith - I KNOW.  I have had direct contact with my deity so I know rather than just believe or have faith.  I also don't really have religion, because I don't follow anything structured or followed by anyone else, etc.  Knowing also means I agree with Heartshadow - this means I'm not bugf**k.  

I am also in agreement with whoever quoted the passage on the Numinous.  When I look at life, the universe, and everything this way, it clicks/makes sense/has meaning.  But shhhh!  I still keep telling people that the meaning of life is zygotes making more zygotes, because I don't think there is the kind of meaning people like my mother are looking for.  No one is going to do it for me, no one is going to handle all the hard stuff, and apparently I won't get out of the dumb stuff like scrubbing the toilet until I die.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

benvarry

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 09:54:53 am »

I've decided if I've only got one short life, it might as well be lived with purpose and ritual and art, even if I don't believe it's 'real' in an objective sense.  It's working out pretty well!

Tags: