Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a Pagan?  (Read 5628 times)

Mandi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a Pagan?
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:26 am »
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a 'Pagan'? Or whatever you call yourself, of course. I'll be using the word Pagan for convenience, but please insert whatever is relevant to you :)

By my question I mean, how far along your spiritual path (in terms of time, amount of knowledge, or anything else) were you before you felt you were Pagan? I'm quite new to this, but I'm having such intense feelings for this spiritual journey that I'm already thinking of myself as Pagan. Then again, the word feels a bit premature, especially seeing as I've been automatically been answering with 'Catholic' whenever I'm asked for years, even long after I lost faith in it.

I'm not rushing myself, because I'm feeling so fulfilled and wonderful in a way I never have spiritually. I'm doing what feels right, but answering with 'Pagan' feels so right, even this early on.

So, go. :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:08:13 am by Mandi »

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a Pagan?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:07 am »
Quote from: Mandi;46755
Then again, the word feels a bit premature, especially seeing as I've been automatically been answering with 'Catholic' whenever I'm asked for years, even long after I lost faith in it.

I think it is not that important what you label yourself and when you do it.
IME labels tend to change.

The more important part you introduced by the quote above.

When you stop doing this without having to think about it, when you stop saying 'Jesus Christ!', when you feel comfortable and at home with what you do now, when you have started to do some de-programming (and believe me, this is a process that takes years in the whole, even if you haven't been raised as a devout Christian) - then you might feel more comfortable with looking for a label that describes your path.

And if you don't find one?
Make one up.
Or leave it blank.
There is nobody who can force you to fill that field out, if you don't like to. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Mandi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:33 am »
Quote from: Tana;46761
When you stop doing this without having to think about it, when you stop saying 'Jesus Christ!', when you feel comfortable and at home with what you do now, when you have started to do some de-programming (and believe me, this is a process that takes years in the whole, even if you haven't been raised as a devout Christian) - then you might feel more comfortable with looking for a label that describes your path.

Excellent points! :) I feel like I'm hurtling down this path away from Christianity faster than I would have expected, but when I think of it, I've been travelling further and further from Christianity for about 6 years - I just didn't have any idea where I was heading to until now. And I suppose that's a part of the 'de-programming' you mention.
The thing I love about spirituality - and life in general - is that it's constantly evolving, changing, and you're always learning - there's no 'finish line'. But I digress xD
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:32:23 am by Mandi »

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:19 am »
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a 'Pagan'? :D

Oh, as soon as I knew what the word actually was. I had always had certain beliefs, even way back when I was a little kid; I just didn't know how to articulate them. But as I grew older and began doing research I found Paganism, Wicca in particular. While doing that reading I kept finding myself nodding, smiling, bobbing my head up and down and saying, 'yup, that's me!'. Even if it took me a while to pinpoint what *kind* of Pagan I was (and that's still something I'm working on) I knew immediately that I was Pagan when I realized what Paganism was. And I felt no need to hide it.

So pretty much from the get-go.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:52 am »
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a 'Pagan'? Or whatever you call yourself, of course. I'll be using the word Pagan for convenience, but please insert whatever is relevant to you :)..

Let me put it this way i'm 53 years old and still only use Pagan as a last resort.  But its not because I find Pagan or any other identifier to be bad its just that for me this has always been who I was and the path I was ment to walk.

In my youth it was just "Family" and "Family Traditions", nothing more, nothing less.  There might be a name that came through but it was almost an after though, it's like my grandfather was a dowser, my aunt a wise woman, my ggrandmother the head of the family, etc.  When asked it was just family traditions.

Even when I started getting into what I know now as Stregia the old Italian Lady who taught me only called it Family.  There were some other terms but it was just family when used to describe it to others or talking about it within the family.

In truth I didn't use any term other than Occultist until probably the mid 1980's.  Yet at the time Occultist was not so much the ceremonial magics but simply hidden knowledge and things from prying eyes.

This notion of identifying oneself by some name or meter really didn't come about in any of the pathways I walked until the mid to late 90's.  A time when Wicca really exploded upon the public eye as so many 101 books were being written and so many authors were breaking thier oaths of silence.  Then it seemed to also tie in with the current hollywood scene of various witchy moives and series.

Many in my age group I spoke to shunned the very terms for it was seen many times as a teen fad.  Nothing more than shock treatment or social unrest to fill their parents with awe and dread.  Or at the time an entryway into the gothic world which we saw starting to push forward as well in all their black and charms about thier necks.

For me I still see "Pagan" as an identifer for one who practices some form of spirituality that is based upon a Mediterrian based influence.  Usually derived from Greek, Roman, Egyptian mytholgoy and pantheons for gods / goddesses and non human influences.  Not so much so for Celtic, Teutonic, Germanic as I see most of those beneath the Heathen title though a number of so called pagans claim them as the source of their spirituality.

But as to titles I am what I am and have always felt comfortable saying what I am.  I didn't hide it but I didn't go shout it out on the streets either, nor do I simply shout it out today.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:20 am »
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a 'Pagan'? Or whatever you call yourself, of course.

I started self-identifying as a witch pretty much from the get-go.  I knew I didn't know everything and was just starting out, but I felt that how practiced I was wasn't really a reflection of who I was.  I was lucky enough that I had several friends fairly early on who were also practitioners of some form, and in college I was very open about it.

Today, I still use the name witch, although I am more likely to describe myself as Pagan, as I have had quite a few people assume that I have no religious aspects to my path when I describe myself simply as a witch.  Though I have Norse leanings and have been exploring Heathenry, because I don't practice Heathen methods exclusively, I don't feel I accurately represent that title, so I don't use it.  Pagan, to me, is someone who isn't Abrahamic, and that fits me.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:16:56 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46769

Even when I started getting into what I know now as Stregia the old Italian Lady who taught me only called it Family.  There were some other terms but it was just family when used to describe it to others or talking about it within the family.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a question. You've mentioned being taught Stregia a few times around the forum and I'm wondering exactly what this is. Is it related to Stregheria or Stregoneria? Or is it something different? I've done some searching but couldn't find anything at all about Stregia.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:44 am »
Quote from: Catherine;46788
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a question. You've mentioned being taught Stregia a few times around the forum and I'm wondering exactly what this is. Is it related to Stregheria or Stregoneria? Or is it something different? I've done some searching but couldn't find anything at all about Stregia.

I suppose its a variant or folk magic pratice drawn from Stregheria though I admit it might be a mis-hearing on my part and Stregia just stuck.  I worked with her for about 4 years in my youth before my family moved back to Virginia.  She was an elderly lady that had almost no family that visited her and she sort of adopted me and started teaching me things.

I don't call it Stregheria as a lot of what I see written about that didn't match what she would show me.  Yet there were many facets that did so I always assumed it was drawn from that but more a folkish watered down version.  It's like she didn't really teach one to do curses as that was only used as a last resort but she pushed how to make them and understand thier workings.

Parts of it I suppose I reference in other things I say but as a norm I don't speak on what she taught me.  One of those things where I swore to keep it only within my family.  That was of importance to her and I have continued to keep it though its been many years since I last spoke to her.

I was initiated into her family tradition and learnd quite a bit from her.  I do admit I always wonder what else I might have learnd had my family not moved away.  4 years was a long time but no where near long enough to learn all she tried to instill in me.  As it where I had basically learnt to somewhere between a 1st and 2nd degree level if one used Wicca as a guage.  She was adamit that I was not trained enough to teach or stand alone at that point but trained enough to understand most facets and apply them up to my level.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a 'Pagan'? Or whatever you call yourself, of course. I'll be using the word Pagan for convenience, but please insert whatever is relevant to you :)

By my question I mean, how far along your spiritual path (in terms of time, amount of knowledge, or anything else) were you before you felt you were Pagan? I'm quite new to this, but I'm having such intense feelings for this spiritual journey that I'm already thinking of myself as Pagan. Then again, the word feels a bit premature, especially seeing as I've been automatically been answering with 'Catholic' whenever I'm asked for years, even long after I lost faith in it.

I'm not rushing myself, because I'm feeling so fulfilled and wonderful in a way I never have spiritually. I'm doing what feels right, but answering with 'Pagan' feels so right, even this early on.

from the get go I always when a response was required...would say"well I was baptized roman catholic,but..." and leave it there.
I was nonpracticing from the begining really....we went to church at xmass and Easter to appease our grandmother....she's lovely though,from Waterford schooled by nuns with scary random memories of children with limbs blown off intwined with tales of buying whole bags of candy for a ha'penny and picking berries near the gypsy camps.

but I never could dig the church experiences and the new testement when compared to the old testement...there was so much denial of the visceral side of the religion....anyhow:
move forward to high school- I was doing an unresearched off the top of my head kind of moon worship and getting the urge to do some research. but as yet no witchcraft and absolutely was not into Wiccan isms....so I shied away from even bringing it up ever cuz I didn't want to have people think of me in relation to the fluffy hippie wiccans in our town.
later I was comfortable among friends saying Pagan.
now when I randomly spout herby advice to people,they look sideways at me and say...are you some kinda hippie/witch? and I honestly always correct them and say ...I'm no hippie! lol

still I tried adding things I found to my practice and have had to pare it back and rewrite so many times as stuff just hasn't sat right for me when ever I try using someone else's words.
no watchtowers or winds in my quarters.
no insert apropriate deity here. for each ritual.
I also have no urge to celebrate equinoxes etc and find those a very Wiccan construct that when people find out I am pagan...ASSUME I celebrate.:confused:
so there,is my long winded reply.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:57 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46793
I suppose its a variant or folk magic pratice drawn from Stregheria though I admit it might be a mis-hearing on my part and Stregia just stuck.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:16:09 am »

It took me a few years.
I kept walking away and coming back to my path, mainly because of society, and my family. However, it eventually got to the point where I realized I had such a strong calling towards it. I knew I couldn't keep pretending I didn't.
Once you put a name on something it feels more permanent, more real. Atleast thats how I felt.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »

Even before I joined a group in '90 I'd been investigating this thing called Paganism as far back as '82.  Once I had enough info under my belt, I started refering to myself as Pagan - this is probably '83 or '84 - so even before my first Ritual or real class I was already identifying myself as such.

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

About...eight months in?  Well, if I count my joining TC as the start of my serious exploration into Paganism, which it was around about the same time, so I think that works well enough as a start date.  It's not something I've consciously thought of, but I just realised recently when writing a blog post that I've sort of just gradually been associating myself more and more with the 'Pagan' label, such that now I default to thinking of myself as Pagan.  

Although if I'm labelling myself for others, e.g. describing what my religion is, I tend to qualify 'Pagan', because honestly, I don't think I'm quite there yet.  I'm still in the stage where most of what I do is read and study, and I haven't yet developed very much practice at all.  So I'm more likely to describe myself as 'Pagan-like' or aspiring Pagan' or something similar.

I think I just like having a label for myself, a something to call my religiousity, even if it's not terribly defined just yet.  And when I can finally with confidence explain to my parents that, yep, Jesus Christ and I had a bit of a disagreement, and now I'm a Pagan, that will tell me that it has become fully and completely part of my identity.

Charon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:48 pm »

I often find myself so easily misunderstood because I was taught as a child to not correct others who are so certain and adament of their righteousness that they become warrish, and though I have gained age through years, I find I still obey the voices from my youth.

I had always refrained from pressing and pasting labels, be them willynilly or securely established, to my personal state of being because many things change and some things  change more rapidly than words are uttered through thorough thought. Also, many, if not most labels, defining individualism, personafication among us are generally misleading.

I suppose I could have not gone through two paragraphs to merely say once I looked pagan up in my (ever present) Noah Webster's Dictionary and found that it does by fact mean a country dweller, I proudly boasted even on Facebook... :D: that I am a pagan... :p

goosesilverwolf

• View Profile
When did you feel comfortable calling yourself a Pagan?
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:23 pm »
I first discovered Paganism back in 2005 and flirted with the idea. I never really read anything about it but somewhere deep inside I knew it was the right path.

Last year I read a very useful book and decided there and then that I was to be Pagan. Ever since I have been developing my faith, practicing when I can, and continuing to read. I am in the process of buying tools for ritual and should hopefully have an Athame pretty soon.

I also found that I had nothing to worry about by telling people that I was Pagan. My family and friends know and after I explained that it is not evil, or devil worshipping, they accepted it. I wear my Pentagram and Wolf (my power animal) necklace with pride.

I tell people that I am Pagan, as opposed to Wiccan, as I follow certain Shaman and Asatruar beliefs alongside my mainly Wiccan one.

In Leeds we have a lot of street preachers who are Baptist, Evangelicalist etc, and whereas before I'd be frightened of ridicule, I now walk by confidently, advising them of the truths of my faith.

Tags: