Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Introducing the Hazel & Oak Resource Database!  (Read 34625 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Introducing the Hazel & Oak Resource Database!
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:04 pm »
For quite some time now, Finn and I have been working on creating a database for resources on all things Celtic. (If you were with us before the move to vB, you may remember the short-lived TCN version.) Thanks to Randall, we now have a WordPress blog up and running where we can easily catalog many different kinds of resources and search with ease.

You can view the database here: http://hazelandoak.ecauldron.net/

Comments are currently enabled, but first comments by a poster must be approved by Finn or myself, to keep down spam. We ask that if you do comment on the WP blog, please use your TC name so we know who you are. In each resource post is a link to either discuss the resource here on TC, or request a thread on TC- we strongly encourage you to keep reviews and discussions on TC, and use the comments on the blog for notes about other editions, additional places to find the resource, etcetera.

We have a massive list of resources to add (standing at 219 as of this posting) compiled by Finn and Aster Breo- if you'd like to help out, please see the post below! And as always, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to speak up!

Edited on Aug 9 2012 to update the database link.
Edited on Aug 12 2013 to update the database link.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:47:51 pm by Juni »
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the Hazel & Oak Resource Database!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:23 pm »
Quote from: Juni;46506

You might have noticed that the database is pretty sparse so far. We're working on that, but we could really use your help.

We have a downright massive list of resources compiled by Finn and Aster Breo, but none of us has read all of these books, and there's only so much information one can glean from the internet; this makes tagging the resources a little tricky. And that's where you come in!

On the database, we have a page listing all the resources we still need to add. If you are familiar with any of these items and want to help, just post here with the author, title, and any of the tags from the list below that are applicable! We may consider other suggested tags, but please put any new suggestions separate from the others so we'll notice them and can discuss them. Because this is the internet and not a real-life shelf, we have the ability to place a resource in multiple areas that are appropriate, so list everything that fits!

Tags:

Topic- Archaeology, Art, Divination, Fiction, Folklore, History, Language, Literature, Magic, Music, Mythology

Culture- Breton, Cornish, Gaulish, Irish, Manx, Scottish, Welsh; Continental, Insular, pan-Celtic

Approach- Christian, Christo-pagan, Demi-recon, Druidic, Recon, Romantic, Syncretic, Wiccan

Other- Annotated, Discontinued, Reference, Out of Print, Translated

Also, resources that are available in other formats- websites, e-books, PDFs, CDs, etcetera, may have been overlooked, so feel free to mention them!

If you have an entirely new resource that is not already on the database or in the to-add list, feel free to PM Juni or Finn so we can add it to the list! Also, if you think the info on an existing database entry should be adjusted, give us a shout.

Getting everything online is going to take some time, but it will go quicker with your help. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please let us know. Thanks everyone!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »
Quote from: Juni;46510
You might have noticed that the database is pretty sparse so far. We're working on that, but we could really use your help.

First, thank you, Juni and Finn, for taking on this huge project!  When it gets populated, I think this database is going to be an enormous help -- not just for TCers, but for others interested in Celtic spirituality, mythology, history, art, etc.  

Just glancing at the list of resources to add, I think I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the books listed.  I'm going to be super-busy for the next couple of weeks, but, after that, I'll try to spend some of my Cill shift time tagging the ones I can.  It's gonna take a while.  ;)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;46512
First, thank you, Juni and Finn, for taking on this huge project!  When it gets populated, I think this database is going to be an enormous help -- not just for TCers, but for others interested in Celtic spirituality, mythology, history, art, etc.  

Just glancing at the list of resources to add, I think I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the books listed.  I'm going to be super-busy for the next couple of weeks, but, after that, I'll try to spend some of my Cill shift time tagging the ones I can.  It's gonna take a while.  ;)

~ Aster

I feel so poorly read! :ashamed:

Once we've gotten a good number of the resources up, we'll get started on the next portion of the database: the Beginner's Guides to Celtic Religions. We'll have some consensus-made definitions of different paths, information on deities and other spirits, first-hand accounts of practices and festivals, etc. But I want to get at least two-thirds of the extant resources up before adding anything else to the to-do list!

And a big thank you to you, Aster, and the rest of the SIG. We couldn't do this without you!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:40:34 am »
Quote from: Juni;46516
I feel so poorly read! :ashamed:

I didn't say I'd *read* all those books.  I just said I *have* them.  :p

Seriously, I've read a lot of them, yes, but I've been working on them for years and years.  And, in the last 3 years, I've barely read anything.

You have plenty of time to catch up.  ;)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:41 pm »

Approach- Christian, Christo-pagan, Demi-recon, Druidic, Recon, Romantic, Syncretic, Wiccan

I just want to say that I'm very happy with how this bit worked out - that seems to me to cover it well, and since they're tags, the overlap among them is easily handled by choosing all tags that apply.

Makes all the angsting and debating we did well-worthwhile!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;46610
I just want to say that I'm very happy with how this bit worked out - that seems to me to cover it well, and since they're tags, the overlap among them is easily handled by choosing all tags that apply.

Makes all the angsting and debating we did well-worthwhile!

:)

I ought to put together a page on the blog listing all of the people who've contributed- from the approach definitions to the resource additions and everything else. Finn and I have been organizing it, but a lot of people have put their time and effort into it.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:36:47 pm »
Quote from: Juni;46613
:)

I ought to put together a page on the blog listing all of the people who've contributed- from the approach definitions to the resource additions and everything else. Finn and I have been organizing it, but a lot of people have put their time and effort into it.

I second this! I'd love to be able to thank everyone on the database itself, as well as thank them all here! :D:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:45 am »
For quite some time now, Finn and I have been working on creating a database for resources on all things Celtic.

Are you guys married to that template? I have some software called Artisteer that I can use to make up custom WP templates. I used it to make the template for the site for my Star Trek group. Just click the link in my sig to check it out.

Karen

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;46871
Are you guys married to that template? I have some software called Artisteer that I can use to make up custom WP templates. I used it to make the template for the site for my Star Trek group. Just click the link in my sig to check it out.

We can't add new themes, just select from the 6 (8?) options already there. And we can't edit extant ones, either. I'm sure Randall could add something new, but I hate to bother him with something pretty trivial when this one does the job.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 06:06:14 am »
we now have a WordPress blog up and running where we can easily catalog many different kinds of resources and search with ease.
Been meaning to say how sweet this is. Good stuff! :)
Semper Fidelis

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:07 am »
Quote from: Juni;46943
We can't add new themes, just select from the 6 (8?) options already there. And we can't edit extant ones, either. I'm sure Randall could add something new, but I hate to bother him with something pretty trivial when this one does the job.

With my software, all he'd have to do would be to uplink the template files into the right folder on the server. If I could manage it, I'm sure anyone else could. But if y'all are fine with what you have, that's cool. I just figured I'd offer. :cool:

Karen

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;47372
With my software, all he'd have to do would be to uplink the template files into the right folder on the server. If I could manage it, I'm sure anyone else could. But if y'all are fine with what you have, that's cool. I just figured I'd offer. :cool:

Well, if you're particularly inspired to make something, feel free! I don't think anyone would turn down something more specifically-us, as long as it's easy to read. :)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »

To keep myself from getting sidetracked from this project, I'm going to post here when I update the database. Hopefully it will be every few days.

5 added today!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:54 pm »
Quote from: Juni;49424
To keep myself from getting sidetracked from this project, I'm going to post here when I update the database. Hopefully it will be every few days.

5 added today!

This may be very helpful for getting help in updating the database. Erm. Particularly from one rotten co-SIG Leader who totally hasn't done much at all in helping you update the database.

:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Tags: