Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Introducing the Hazel & Oak Resource Database!  (Read 34967 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Introducing the Hazel & Oak Resource Database!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »
Quote from: Finn;49463

You pick up all the rest of the work, though- like, oh, actually posting in the SIG. Which I never seem to do. :ashamed: So we even out. ;)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »
Quote from: Juni;49424
To keep myself from getting sidetracked from this project, I'm going to post here when I update the database. Hopefully it will be every few days.

5 added today!

Another 5! Only... 200+ to go. :eek:
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:24:19 am »
Quote from: Juni;49636
Another 5! Only... 200+ to go. :eek:
Y'all are doing a great job!
[Now using the Cryfder account]

tophathaiku

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:13 am »
Quote from: Juni;46506

You can view the database here: http://hazelandoak.ecauldron.com/

I just stumbled upon this and WOW.  This is amazing!!  Thank you for all of your hard work. :)

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »
Quote from: Juni;46516
I feel so poorly read! :ashamed:

Once we've gotten a good number of the resources up, we'll get started on the next portion of the database: the Beginner's Guides to Celtic Religions. We'll have some consensus-made definitions of different paths, information on deities and other spirits, first-hand accounts of practices and festivals, etc. But I want to get at least two-thirds of the extant resources up before adding anything else to the to-do list!

And a big thank you to you, Aster, and the rest of the SIG. We couldn't do this without you!

What really sucks is that my Library hardly has anything that deals with the Irish. It's mostly Civil War stuff, than anything. Thanks for doing this for those interested in reading these books.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;109729
What really sucks is that my Library hardly has anything that deals with the Irish. It's mostly Civil War stuff, than anything. Thanks for doing this for those interested in reading these books.

You may well be able to get books your library doesn't own via either a regional library system or via Interlibrary Loan (which is a slightly more formal method of getting books from elsewhere)

How that works varies a bit from library to library: if you want to PM me your local library system, I can help you dig into what the options might be for you and how to ask more about it.

The one thing about this is that there's usually *some* human interaction in the process, so for people where privacy is a huge issue and who are living in a small town (or where the library staff know your family members, etc.) I always want to give that caution.

(Librarians *should* be really cautious of patron privacy - it's one of the big key professional ethics things. However, especially in very small libraries, that isn't always the case - or just isn't entirely realistic, because of the physical space/staffing/etc.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tanbrid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.paganleft.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Juni;46510
You might have noticed that the database is pretty sparse so far. We're working on that, but we could really use your help.

We have a downright massive list of resources compiled by Finn and Aster Breo, but none of us has read all of these books, and there's only so much information one can glean from the internet; this makes tagging the resources a little tricky. And that's where you come in!

I'd like to help with your database. I'm guessing you probably still need help, but haven't seen anything recent about volunteer efforts. Tell me what needs done and I'll tell you how I can help (with my limited tech-know how- though I'd be happy to grow my skill set so I can be more useful)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:16 am »
Quote from: Juni;46506
For quite some time now, Finn and I have been working on creating a database for resources on all things Celtic. (If you were with us before the move to vB, you may remember the short-lived TCN version.) Thanks to Randall, we now have a WordPress blog up and running where we can easily catalog many different kinds of resources and search with ease.

You can view the database here: http://hazelandoak.ecauldron.net/

Comments are currently enabled, but first comments by a poster must be approved by Finn or myself, to keep down spam. We ask that if you do comment on the WP blog, please use your TC name so we know who you are. In each resource post is a link to either discuss the resource here on TC, or request a thread on TC- we strongly encourage you to keep reviews and discussions on TC, and use the comments on the blog for notes about other editions, additional places to find the resource, etcetera.

We have a massive list of resources to add (standing at 219 as of this posting) compiled by Finn and Aster Breo- if you'd like to help out, please see the post below! And as always, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to speak up!

Edited on Aug 9 2012 to update the database link.
Edited on Aug 12 2013 to update the database link.
I cannot get this to open on my PC or my phone. The PC can't find the page, and the phone spits me out Drupal errors. Is it bugged, or am I not using the right browser? I use Chrome on my phone, and Firefox on my PC.

Karen

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:55 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;173386
I cannot get this to open on my PC or my phone. The PC can't find the page, and the phone spits me out Drupal errors. Is it bugged, or am I not using the right browser? I use Chrome on my phone, and Firefox on my PC.

It's some type of Drupal error. Unfortunately, the error will not even let me log in so I can't fix it easily. I'll put it on my list, but unfortunately there are a lot of higher priority items there at the moment. :(
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 01:36:05 pm »
For quite some time now, Finn and I have been working on creating a database for resources on all things Celtic. (If you were with us before the move to vB, you may remember the short-lived TCN version.) Thanks to Randall, we now have a WordPress blog up and running where we can easily catalog many different kinds of resources and search with ease.

You can view the database here: http://hazelandoak.ecauldron.net/

Comments are currently enabled, but first comments by a poster must be approved by Finn or myself, to keep down spam. We ask that if you do comment on the WP blog, please use your TC name so we know who you are. In each resource post is a link to either discuss the resource here on TC, or request a thread on TC- we strongly encourage you to keep reviews and discussions on TC, and use the comments on the blog for notes about other editions, additional places to find the resource, etcetera.

We have a massive list of resources to add (standing at 219 as of this posting) compiled by Finn and Aster Breo- if you'd like to help out, please see the post below! And as always, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to speak up!

Edited on Aug 9 2012 to update the database link.
Edited on Aug 12 2013 to update the database link.

The link to the Hazel & Oak Resource Database is no longer working. I wonder if the Database still exists and can be revived here with a working link. Does anyone here on the Cauldron know anything about the Database? Any information would be appreciated.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 02:55:11 am »
The link to the Hazel & Oak Resource Database is no longer working. I wonder if the Database still exists and can be revived here with a working link. Does anyone here on the Cauldron know anything about the Database? Any information would be appreciated.

Looking into this. I hope it does still exist somewhere, though even if it does, it might be a while before it can be made accessible again. (Thank you, btw, for your excellent phrasing here; it facilitated me going, 'Oh! Looking into this! Good plan!' and suiting my actions to my thoughts.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
The link to the Hazel & Oak Resource Database is no longer working. I wonder if the Database still exists and can be revived here with a working link.

The various SIG subsites died years ago for lack of use. I may still have a backup somewhere, but I'm not sure they could easily be revived as the software they were running is (now) ancient and may not work with current versions of php. I will look into it, but I can't promise when or positive results.

As I recall many of the links in this resource database were to no longer functioning sites, however. 

Something like this could be rebuild in our new wiki by interested TC members. The nice thing about the wiki is wiki pages are stored as text files (instead of as data in a database), so it is fairly future-proof. Even if the wiki software is someday no longer functional due to php progress, the data is still easily available in human-readable text files.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 01:20:26 pm »
The various SIG subsites died years ago for lack of use. I may still have a backup somewhere, but I'm not sure they could easily be revived as the software they were running is (now) ancient and may not work with current versions of php. I will look into it, but I can't promise when or positive results.

As I recall many of the links in this resource database were to no longer functioning sites, however. 

Something like this could be rebuild in our new wiki by interested TC members. The nice thing about the wiki is wiki pages are stored as text files (instead of as data in a database), so it is fairly future-proof. Even if the wiki software is someday no longer functional due to php progress, the data is still easily available in human-readable text files.

Thanks for this information, Randall. I am not too tech savvy, otherwise I would be inclined to look into rebuilding the resource on the wiki pages. I will see what I can do. I have a bunch of writing projects for this Fall, but maybe I will add developing a list of Celtic Polytheism Resources. I will continue to look for books and websites as I have time and energy. Thanks again.

Tags: