Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Naming Children After the Gods?  (Read 12653 times)

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Naming Children After the Gods?
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:51 pm »
How do you feel about naming children after the Gods? I'm doing it myself with our next one. If it's a girl her middle name will be Eris. If it's a boy then his middle name will be Loki, Lokidor, or maybe even Lokidin.

Does anyone think there are any concerns for naming children in this manner? I like to consider all the angles of a situation.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:46:23 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46046
How do you feel about naming children after the Gods? I'm doing it myself with our next one. If it's a girl her middle name will be Eris. If it's a boy then his middle name will be Loki, Lokidor, or maybe even Lokidin.

Does anyone think there are any concerns for naming children in this manner? I like to consider all the angles of a situation.

Truthfully I think its BS.  The parents to be think its all neat and fun but they're not the ones who have to live with it.  Their not the ones who will be picked upon or have to settle with what ever the name implies to everyone else.  To me parents who name thier child or children after a god / goddess are as bad as parents who subject thier children to all sorts of ills as they try to recapture thier life through thier childrens sports or other events.

For me if my children (I have two adult sons) ever wanted to take the name of a god / goddess as thier own then it is thier decession to do so.  I'd not name a child for someone that just might be at odds with them thier whole life because of it.  I'd surely not name them after a god / goddess I am sworn to or honor bound to who they may never have a calling or connection to my god / goddess.

But you know what it won't matter because the parents in question are not going to listen to any advise anyway.  They'll continue to curse thier children based upon what they find interesting not what will be the future of their children.

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:01:57 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46048
Truthfully I think its BS.  The parents to be think its all neat and fun but they're not the ones who have to live with it.  Their not the ones who will be picked upon or have to settle with what ever the name implies to everyone else.  To me parents who name thier child or children after a god / goddess are as bad as parents who subject thier children to all sorts of ills as they try to recapture thier life through thier childrens sports or other events.

For me if my children (I have two adult sons) ever wanted to take the name of a god / goddess as thier own then it is thier decession to do so.  I'd not name a child for someone that just might be at odds with them thier whole life because of it.  I'd surely not name them after a god / goddess I am sworn to or honor bound to who they may never have a calling or connection to my god / goddess.

But you know what it won't matter because the parents in question are not going to listen to any advise anyway.  They'll continue to curse thier children based upon what they find interesting not what will be the future of their children.

Ah. Well that was a rude pile of BS. Socialize much? I apologize to you personally for not naming my child "Jayden" or "Bob".

Don't try to insinuate that I'm a bad parent or a fool because I picked a less used middle name. And if you are going to rant at me like I'm some twit try to spellcheck next time.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46053
Ah. Well that was a rude pile of BS. Socialize much? I apologize to you personally for not naming my child "Jayden" or "Bob".

Don't try to insinuate that I'm a bad parent or a fool because I picked a less used middle name. And if you are going to rant at me like I'm some twit try to spellcheck next time.

Rude no, realistic yes.  I've spent many an hour upon little league ball fields, scouting events and various school activities with those same children and see the bs they put up with.  Yep, even those self same parents who do it all for themselves and try to pass it off as being for the benefit and well fare of their off spring.

Like I said it doesn't matter anyway because those type parents are going to do so for thier own good anyway and not give two shakes about what it will do for thier chldren or thier childrens esteme.  As far as spell check I just considered the content of the question and found it not worthy of the additional time.

But your reply already tells me which camp you'll fall into.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:31 pm »
How do you feel about naming children after the Gods?

I would never do it. While it is common in some faiths- particularly some Christian denominations- I have no desire to invite the interest of a deity into my child's life without their consent. I might ask a deity to watch over my child, while they're still children, but that doesn't imply any sort of action should be taken on the child's side.

Not to mention, children with non-mainstream names have a tendency to get bullied, even if it's not their first name. Keeping middle names secret isn't always easy.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:02 pm »

Psychologists claim that children with highly unusual names tend to have more problems socializing and adapting throughout adolescence. Though it seems to be more of an issue with the boys than the girls.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

I think my primary concern would be that naming a child after primordial forces of chaos might make your work as a parent challenging, later.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:02 pm »
It's an excellent point that naming children after Gods is quite common even if people don't realize it. There are many names based on or referencing Christian, Norse or even Egyptian gods.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46065
It's an excellent point that naming children after Gods is quite common even if people don't realize it. There are many names based on or referencing Christian, Norse or even Egyptian gods.

Yep fluffies do it all the time.  With regard to Egyptian its never just the name but a composite of "Son of " or "Dau of" or something along the lines of "Of the House of" But never just Bast, Pahket, Sekor, Osiris, etc.  My limited knowledge of the Nordic practices also show that it's never just a gods name but some compilation of the gods name and their relationship to them.

Christanity is the only one I am aware of that utilizes a direct name such as Jesus.  Though naming after the top four arch-angels was once a pretty common thing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:46:57 pm by monsnoleedra »

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:50:54 pm »
Also I don't believe that having a less common name is that which makes kids more of a target. I'm one of only three people I've personally met named Leroy and it didn't slow me down. Plenty of kids with perfectly typical names end up with problems.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46053

*** MOD HAT ON ***
fireface,

While I can understand your annoyance it should be possible for you to express it without breaking the rules you agreed to when you signed up.  Specifically, moderating another poster and making personal attacks.  It is not up to the members to tell other members how to post; you can either report (if you feel a rule has been broken) or ignore a post you find offensive (or even a poster).  

The 'spellchecker' crack was out of line as well, being a personal attack.  This is an official warning (unless I am overruled by an Admin) and as such should not be replied to in thread.  Please feel free to PM me or another moderator if you wish to discuss it.

Thank you,
Marilyn
TC Staff
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46069
Also I don't believe that having a less common name is that which makes kids more of a target. I'm one of only three people I've personally met named Leroy and it didn't slow me down. Plenty of kids with perfectly typical names end up with problems.

There-in lies the answer, its not about your unborn child its about you.  It's not about making their life better and setting them up to succeed.

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:10 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46067
Yep fluffies do it all the time.

I recognize your attempt at a sly insult and dismiss it. As far as the Egyptian name I was referencing the beautiful "Isadore" and variations of that name. Also many names abound that reference Thor and pretty much every name that begins Chris is a name derived somehow from Christ.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:21 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46067
My limited knowledge of the Nordic practices also show that it's never just a gods name but some compilation of the gods name and their relationship to them.

Eh.  I had an Icelandic friend whose middle name was Sif.

Her father's name was Thor.

Different culture, though; I'm not living in a culture in which a) naming people after divine figures is commonly done or b) those divine figures are specifically culturally known as name-sources.  (One of my best high school friends has the name "Diana", but that's not immediately "oh, you named your kid after a Roman goddess" assumptionspace.)  I would therefore be personally very cautious about such naming - not because I think it's intrinsically problematic per se, but because I am not existing in a cultural matrix in which such is understood appropriately.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;46074
There-in lies the answer, its not about your unborn child its about you.  It's not about making their life better and setting them up to succeed.

It never is.  At least, not realistically.  Parents give their kids names they like themselves.  Some think that the names they give will make their kids more likely to succeed, but given how quickly styles change that is a losing stratagem.  

Fireface, I wouldn't use the name of a god of chaos unless I was prepared for the child to do their best to live up to it, myself.  I don't think, however, thar an unusual name is enough in itself to make a child unpopular or cause bullying.  It just adds to it when it is happening anyway.

Absent
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:02:57 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags: